DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Intelligent Flight Battery Question

Josiah S

Reactions
Hello all. I am new to this so I hope I am not posting anything wrong. I was wondering at what point do you stop using the batteries. On my phantom 3 I have a battery that is starting to puff up a bit. It is 2 years old and it has about 130 charges on it. The max charge level, volts and temp when flying all seem to be normal as far as I know. It’s just starting to puff up noticeably. Should I keep flying it? Having 2 batteries is so nice and I don’t really want to spend 100 bucks on another one. I know this is a Mavic forum but I figure the batteries are mostly all the same. I also have another question. I for some reason can only get about 25 ish minutes from my Mavic air 2 battery. It’s only been used about 20 times. Dji says it can get 35 min of flight time. I know you never get what they say but 10 min less is a lot. Thanks in advance for your fast replies. Happy flying!!

Any battery that is puffing up is very risky to use, imminent failure of one of the cells will result in sudden power loss or complete drop out of the sky, in the mavic 2 range the puffed battery packs have been popping out of the bird mid flight & you can see where that ends.

Reactions: Thomas B
Ok I actually just now got back from flying this battery. At the end of flight it was 56 degrees c. This seems hotter than they should be?? Maybe just my imagination but it seems more puffed than before. It also seems heavier than my other p3s battery. This battery is actually a powerextra battery. Maybe they don’t last as long as the Dji ones. I think I will probably retire this one now. I would really like to use it tomorrow as we are going to the ocean and I would like to fly both batteries. Is this to risky?

Most definitely, 56deg C is hot & will only make the pack expand more, don't chance that pack anymore, it's not worth the risk to the drone, - or anyone it may fall on etc.

Ok thanks. How to I get rid of the battery? I am assuming not to throw it away???

Here’s some pics. The battery is starting to crack the plastic.

Attachments

• 8D4FEBD4-5D58-4854-8200-DDC94B14170A.jpeg
    8D4FEBD4-5D58-4854-8200-DDC94B14170A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • 4D68C8AE-4B8A-46E3-844D-8498CE51015E.jpeg
    4D68C8AE-4B8A-46E3-844D-8498CE51015E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • 1C0F27CF-D2A0-4406-ACCD-7DC0971839F0.jpeg
    1C0F27CF-D2A0-4406-ACCD-7DC0971839F0.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 31
Ok thanks. How to I get rid of the battery? I am assuming not to throw it away???
You are doing the right thing.
Places like Batteries+ will dispose of all sorts of rechargeable batteries (Lead/NiCad/Lithium/etc) free of charge.

Your getting good advice, also check out the search function about other pilots with battery issues.

Actually, I found a pilot that is willing to pay you for the swollen battery. Check out swollen battery on the search function. I found him by doing a Query on battery's. And, did not write down his e-mail.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMvK