DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Interest in DJI RC lanyard/strap bracket?

langcpht

Reactions
Some of you may know that I've designed and create custom 3D-printed brackets that fit the DJI Smart Controller and the RC Pro that allows for a lanyard or strap to be mounted to the bottom. I have not yet designed one for the cheaper DJI RC (the gray one for the Mini 3) as I don't own that particular controller. But now that DJI is selling it stand-alone for $300 I've considered buying one and designing a bracket. Is there any interest out there from the Mini 3 pilots for something like this? For reference this is what I've made for the RC Pro:

IMG_4065.jpg

I've sold the brackets for $10 each, they're made from a high-modulus carbon-fiber filled plastic and are surprisingly strong and durable. If there's some genuine interest I may end up getting one of these controllers and offering a similar setup for Mini 3 pilots. What do you guys think?

I made my own so that the controller rests horizontal. Really helps when your getting setup in a hurry

Attachments

• 07F02841-9353-41AD-A7D9-7C959F1132B9.jpeg
    07F02841-9353-41AD-A7D9-7C959F1132B9.jpeg
    563.8 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: EyesWideShut
I have 3D printer and i know problems of printed things. I wouldn't trust 3D printed hooks. It really doesn't worth the risk since you can buy lanyard with metallic screw hooks from Aliexpress or Amazon. Prices start from ~$5.

I have 3D printer and i know problems of printed things. I wouldn't trust 3D printed hooks. It really doesn't worth the risk since you can buy lanyard with metallic screw hooks from Aliexpress or Amazon. Prices start from ~$5.
I wholeheartedly respect your opinion, but I've load tested my hooks and they'll take far more weight than is reasonable. The actual attachment loop is all perimeter and no infill. The controller only weighs 1.5 pounds; any strap or lanyard needs to hold half that weight across each loop. It's more than adequate. My controller hangs from this bracket whenever it's not in use and there's absolutely no issues.

We’ve just shipped our DJI RC to @langcpht so we can collaborate with him on a bracket design for that controller.

The one he made for us for the DJI RC Pro is killer when combined with the Peak Design Slide Lite camera strap.

Looking forward to the same experience with the smaller RC controller!

Reactions: NOLADG
Some of you may know that I've designed and create custom 3D-printed brackets that fit the DJI Smart Controller and the RC Pro that allows for a lanyard or strap to be mounted to the bottom. I have not yet designed one for the cheaper DJI RC (the gray one for the Mini 3) as I don't own that particular controller. But now that DJI is selling it stand-alone for $300 I've considered buying one and designing a bracket. Is there any interest out there from the Mini 3 pilots for something like this? For reference this is what I've made for the RC Pro:

View attachment 150978

I've sold the brackets for $10 each, they're made from a high-modulus carbon-fiber filled plastic and are surprisingly strong and durable. If there's some genuine interest I may end up getting one of these controllers and offering a similar setup for Mini 3 pilots. What do you guys think?
I don’t see the advantage over just buying a strap with loops that screw directly into the controller. The improvement in controller brackets is one that holds the controller flat, doesn’t intrude on the screen and is light and compact.

I don’t see the advantage over just buying a strap with loops that screw directly into the controller. The improvement in controller brackets is one that holds the controller flat, doesn’t intrude on the screen and is light and compact.
This worked nicely for me

We’ve just shipped our DJI RC to @langcpht so we can collaborate with him on a bracket design for that controller.

The one he made for us for the DJI RC Pro is killer when combined with the Peak Design Slide Lite camera strap.

Looking forward to the same experience with the smaller RC controller!
Happy to help! I'll have the Klaario's controller in hand later this week and can fab up a new design and make it available for those interested.

Clearly not everybody is into the design I make/use and it's not for everybody. Taste is subjective and not everybody's use-case is going to be the same. My brackets are very low-profile and the straps I use (Peak Design Slide or Slide Lite, and Cuff) have quick release anchors so I can easily swap between camera gear and drone gear.

I never designed my strap with the intention for it to be "held flat"; I designed it so that if I accidentally drop it it's not going to hit the ground screen and sticks first. For me it's safety and peace-of-mind thing. I'm physically disabled and walk 100% on crutches; this allows me a lot more 'freedom' when I've got thousands of dollars of gear in the air and in my (already full) hands.

Reactions: Tufargon
Seems here like much of how life generally works: some prefer a certain thing, whilst others prefer something entirely different.

Ice cream shops earn attention by having more than just one flavour on hand. The flavours aren’t competing for which one is the best; they’re alongside one another to give each person a chance to enjoy their own experience.

I would be interested in one. I currently am using two metal eyelets that are screwed in the holes but they stick out jabbing into other things in my bag - through padding of course.

I have 3D printer and i know problems of printed things. I wouldn't trust 3D printed hooks.
I don't have a 3D printer and the two things I have purchased from others - a custom funnel for my SodaStream and a wall holder for my electric car charger handle (a J1776 holder) have been extremely durable. The J1776 connector is a pretty heavy handle and cord assembly that plugs into electric cars and the 3D printed holder we bought gets beaten up by us slamming the handle into the holder at least once a day and is still working fine. We are not careful with it at all.

I would be interested in one. I currently am using two metal eyelets that are screwed in the holes but they stick out jabbing into other things in my bag - through padding of course.

I don't have a 3D printer and the two things I have purchased from others - a custom funnel for my SodaStream and a wall holder for my electric car charger handle (a J1776 holder) have been extremely durable. The J1776 connector is a pretty heavy handle and cord assembly that plugs into electric cars and the 3D printed holder we bought gets beaten up by us slamming the handle into the holder at least once a day and is still working fine. We are not careful with it at all.
3D printing is much stronger than people expect. Of course it depends on the material being used; some plastics are stiff but brittle and others are tough because they're semi-flexible. I've made by brackets with both carbon-reinforced PETG and high-modulus carbon PLA. Both work amazingly well and are more than strong enough to hold a controller that really only weighs a couple pounds (and the 'standard RC' is even lighter than the Pro). I think people tend to forget that the bracket is not intended to bear any more weight than that of the controller itself.

I've nearly got the bracket finished, thanks to @klaario for loaning me a controller for bit. Here's a very rough and not pretty photo of the essentially-final design.

PXL_20230325_221335927.jpg

IMG_4316 (Medium).jpg

The design has been finalized and the production-ready prints are coming out great. For those interested in purchasing you can get it here on eBay for $10 plus shipping. I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Special thanks again to @klaario for loaning me the controller to design from. It'll be headed back to you early next week with some free brackets and some fun extras.

I bought one of these from langcpht on eBay back during this discussion. And I have really loved it so far. It has been a game changer to be able to release the controller and be hands free at times. The other day I unintentionally gave it a real test - in strange circumstances the controller took a ~4 foot fall downwards and my reaction was to stand up to keep the controller from hitting the ground which made the force on the lanyard even more intense. I am happy to say the lanyard bracket held up with no damage to the bracket or the RC!

Thank you for the great creation!

My preference is something simple, strong, and secure. From my perspective, adding a plastic component in the connection doesn't seem to contribute anything.

The nylon compression washers alleviate any concerns about the screws backing out.

My preference is something simple, strong, and secure. From my perspective, adding a plastic component in the connection doesn't seem to contribute anything.

The nylon compression washers alleviate any concerns about the screws backing out.
I had something like this first. The eye hooks kept getting caught on my bag as I inserted the controller. This 3-d printed is nicely tapered and the screws recessed so they are no issues. "Plastic" can be amazingly strong. Honda even makes their pro-grade lawn mowers with a "plastic" body as it never rusts and can take quite a beating. I wish I had one of those Honda models. My lanyard holder just proved its strength to me by saving the controller. But to each their own choice.

I had something like this first. The eye hooks kept getting caught on my bag as I inserted the controller. This 3-d printed is nicely tapered and the screws recessed so they are no issues. "Plastic" can be amazingly strong. Honda even makes their pro-grade lawn mowers with a "plastic" body as it never rusts and can take quite a beating. I wish I had one of those Honda models. My lanyard holder just proved its strength to me by saving the controller. But to each their own choice.

Absolutely. And no need to defend a choice. The OP asked for input on whether there was a market for a bracket and I offered a response. For what it's worth, I spent hundreds of hours in a plastic ASW19 sailplane and still regularly go 30+ miles offshore in a 20' plastic panga skiff.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FNG_