DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Interesting first flight

LifesShort

Reactions
I just picked up my first drone today, a Mavic Mini, and had quite an interesting first flight. It was nerve-wracking enough flying for the first time, but it certainly didn't help that my drone was attacked by 7 or 8 birds! My first flight only lasted a couple of minutes. After I took off and got a little familiar with the controls, I slowly started moving forward and climbed to around 30'. Suddenly a fast flying bird zipped past the drone. I thought I was just a coincidence at first, but then the bird turned around and made another pass. Within a few seconds, a couple more birds showed up. I did the only think I knew to do, and that was to turn around and land.

I waited for the birds to go away and then gave it another try. This time, I took off and immediately climbed to around 30' and went full speed in P mode directly away from me. The birds reappeared and started buzzing the drone. I started a RTH to get it back as quickly as possible. The drone climbed to 60', my RTH height. Next thing I knew, 7 or 8 birds were all over my drone, zipping back and forth. Thankfully, I was able to land without incident. So glad I was able to make it back safely. I just knew I was going to have my drone destroyed on my first day of ownership.

I would have tried a different location, but I had other obligations and didn't get to fly anymore today. I'll try a different location tomorrow, though. I did get to fly enough to know that this is something I'm really going to enjoy...if the birds will leave me alone!

I find swifts and swallows always buzz my drone, but never touch it, I'd be more concerned about raptors, when I hear the local buzzards calling I'm on alert, with a finger poised over sport mode, not sure I could outrun a buzzard though..

Thanks, that's good to know. As a first time flyer, it scared the heck out of me!

I just picked up my first drone today, a Mavic Mini, and had quite an interesting first flight. It was nerve-wracking enough flying for the first time, but it certainly didn't help that my drone was attacked by 7 or 8 birds! My first flight only lasted a couple of minutes. After I took off and got a little familiar with the controls, I slowly started moving forward and climbed to around 30'. Suddenly a fast flying bird zipped past the drone. I thought I was just a coincidence at first, but then the bird turned around and made another pass. Within a few seconds, a couple more birds showed up. I did the only think I knew to do, and that was to turn around and land.

I waited for the birds to go away and then gave it another try. This time, I took off and immediately climbed to around 30' and went full speed in P mode directly away from me. The birds reappeared and started buzzing the drone. I started a RTH to get it back as quickly as possible. The drone climbed to 60', my RTH height. Next thing I knew, 7 or 8 birds were all over my drone, zipping back and forth. Thankfully, I was able to land without incident. So glad I was able to make it back safely. I just knew I was going to have my drone destroyed on my first day of ownership.

I would have tried a different location, but I had other obligations and didn't get to fly anymore today. I'll try a different location tomorrow, though. I did get to fly enough to know that this is something I'm really going to enjoy...if the birds will leave me alone!
Did you record a video ? That would be interesting to see - from one newbe to another, welcome to Mavic Pilots - Good Luck with your Drone!

WOW!!! A girlfriend of mine told me "Your obsession with these drones lately is FOR THE BIRDS!!" Maybe she was on to something.... Naaaahhhh!! :)
Smart move on your part recognizing a potential bad situation and acting on it in a good way. (Stopped, landed safe, evaluated the issue, then continued). I am sure a lot of new pilots would have tried to outrun, chase, or God knows what with the birds.
I am off to search the forum on more bird / drone posts as I have often been concerned when flocks fly around my drones. Concerned for the bird and the drone both of course.

Read a post just the other day where a lot of people climb higher to get away from them. With you being higher than them they kind of feel you are the hunter now being above them.
sounds pretty logical to me but try it and see what happens.. ?

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. It's good to know that they probably won't attack the drone, but it sure was scary, what with it being my first flight and all. I'll try to ignore and/or ascend next time and see what happens.

Welcome to our Forum, from the friendly skies of Texas!

You picked a winner in the Mini. Don't be put off by its small size and low price. It's a high performance quad with a great camera.

Be aware that the Mini doesn't handle wind as well as the heavier drones, so be careful flying in high winds. Read the manual, and practice using "Find My Drone". Chances are you'll crash and/or lose your Mini. Don't wait until that happens to learn how to recover a lost drone.

Lots of us have been chased by birds. They see us a predators. With me, It's Seagulls, as I usually fly near the coast. Best evasive maneuver is to fly straight up. Birds cannot do this. You'll lose them immediately. Then you can fly horizontally to wherever you want to go.

Whenever you need help, there are over 100,000 of us here to provide guidance as you grow as a pilot and photographer. Just ask!

Happy flying. Glad you've joined us!

Welcome to the forum forum from Chicago the Windy City. You being a newbe, I would like to encourage you to research RTH. Because sooner or later you may be using it, just read about somebody that did not have the correct setting. And, on the way home his drone ran into a building. Pilot error, and not safe if it ran into a 28 story building, with people in it. Please
read your manual, knowing how to prevent these type of avoidable accidents
saves you money and keeps public safe. Also, check out Mavic Help and Mavic Tips, let your fingers do the walking. Fly Safe and have fun.

I find swifts and swallows always buzz my drone, but never touch it, I'd be more concerned about raptors, when I hear the local buzzards calling I'm on alert, with a finger poised over sport mode, not sure I could outrun a buzzard though..
I would suggest that the chances of striking a bird (or being struck by one) are infinitesimal compared to the chances of a more 'normal' method of destroying a drone??

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada