DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Interesting interaction with police today

minipro3

Reactions
For weeks I've been trying to get access to a lake where I want make my first edited video. I'm calling it " Mansions on a Lake ". It's a beautiful, fairly large lake with many Multi million $$$ dollar mansions all around the lake. There are several parks around the lake but not quite close enough to get my footage. I got permission to fly from one Park, but lake is too far out. I finally found an orange orchard next to the lake around a bend in the road not visible by any houses, and plenty of space to stop on the side of the road. I've been nervous to stop there and send out the drone fearing someone will call police and report me. This morning I saw a sheriffs department vehicle parked five minutes from that orchard and figured I'd take a chance and have a conversation with him. I explained my situation and told him I wanted to take a video of the lake and wanted to park next to the orchard to fly out and asked him what his thoughts were on that. He asked me if I had a license, I said no, drone is under 250 grams and just needed a trust certificate , which I have. He then asked me if I fly above four hundred feet, and I said I always stay about 120 feet while flying. I told him I was just going to hand launch out my window, fly over the Lake for 10 minutes at a time and then leave. He then said. " YOUR GOOD ".
I then said, there are lot of wealthy homes around there and someone might call on me and then you guys are gonna show up - what happens then. He said yeah they probably will call and we will show up, but you won't have a problem as long as you're being respectful and not doing anything stupid. He then said he's been flying drones since he was 15 years old and has a mavic 3 and used to be on the drone team for the police department, they have three $10,000 drones and fly them every day.
So starts the video :cool:

For weeks I've been trying to get access to a lake where I want make my first edited video. I'm calling it " Mansions on a Lake ". It's a beautiful, fairly large lake with many Multi million $$$ dollar mansions all around the lake. There are several parks around the lake but not quite close enough to get my footage. I got permission to fly from one Park, but lake is too far out. I finally found an orange orchard next to the lake around a bend in the road not visible by any houses, and plenty of space to stop on the side of the road. I've been nervous to stop there and send out the drone fearing someone will call police and report me. This morning I saw a sheriffs department vehicle parked five minutes from that orchard and figured I'd take a chance and have a conversation with him. I explained my situation and told him I wanted to take a video of the lake and wanted to park next to the orchard to fly out and asked him what his thoughts were on that. He asked me if I had a license, I said no, drone is under 250 grams and just needed a trust certificate , which I have. He then asked me if I fly above four hundred feet, and I said I always stay about 120 feet while flying. I told him I was just going to hand launch out my window, fly over the Lake for 10 minutes at a time and then leave. He then said. " YOUR GOOD ".
I then said, there are lot of wealthy homes around there and someone might call on me and then you guys are gonna show up - what happens then. He said yeah they probably will call and we will show up, but you won't have a problem as long as you're being respectful and not doing anything stupid. He then said he's been flying drones since he was 15 years old and has a mavic 3 and used to be on the drone team for the police department, they have three $10,000 drones and fly them every day.
Excellent interaction!

Went to a local community fundraiser the other night. Got to talking with a fellow there. Turns out he is a fellow drone enthusiast, and a county sheriff sergeant! We might get together and do some drone flying soon. His department uses drones for police operations.

Hell, I let the Cops fly my Drone and afterwards, the female Cop said that she was going buy one until she heard the Price!

I am glad it worked out for you. Just this weekend myself, a police officer came by while I was flying my phantom and doing checks and started asking me about me flying my drone. Keep in mind I am flying at a football field at a High School on a Saturday afternoon. Nobody was there to interfere with. The parking lot was empty. He was just curious what was going on. There are no houses even close to this area. He knew the drone rules as well. He was asking if I would be interested in flying for the police department when needed for search and rescue missions. I had to kindly accept the invitation for this. He wants me to come down to the station sometime in the next couple weeks for an interview and background check. I guess I got a job. I guess I got my first job being part 107. Yeah me!! I may even get more jobs off of this who knows.

I am glad it worked out for you. Just this weekend myself, a police officer came by while I was flying my phantom and doing checks and started asking me about me flying my drone. Keep in mind I am flying at a football field at a High School on a Saturday afternoon. Nobody was there to interfere with. The parking lot was empty. He was just curious what was going on. There are no houses even close to this area. He knew the drone rules as well. He was asking if I would be interested in flying for the police department when needed for search and rescue missions. I had to kindly accept the invitation for this. He wants me to come down to the station sometime in the next couple weeks for an interview and background check. I guess I got a job. I guess I got my first job being part 107. Yeah me!! I may even get more jobs off of this who knows.
He may likely have recruited you for a non paid volunteer position. If that’s the case, you should still feel honored to serve your community. If it’s a paid position of some kind, kudos to you and good luck - you should be just as proud to serve.

He may likely have recruited you for a non paid volunteer position. If that’s the case, you should still feel honored to serve your community. If it’s a paid position of some kind, kudos to you and good luck - you should be just as proud to serve.
I don't care if it is volunteer or paid, I just want to serve. They have done so much for me over the years. Plus it would make me feel so good inside anyway.

I think that Part 107 is not necessary if you are doing it for free but I welcome input if I misunderstand. During the course of obtaining my Part 107, I had to reach out a couple of times for guidance as I am a Part 61 private pilot and the path is different. One of the guys I spoke with spoke of reaching out to emergency services for work but advised that I should be prepared to be called upon 24/7 should I choose to do that. I'd like to hear how you make out on it.

Anything you do for anybody else regardless if it is volunteer or paid has to be under part 107 is my interpretation. I feel I am safe whatever the case.

I don't care if it is volunteer or paid, I just want to serve. They have done so much for me over the years. Plus it would make me feel so good inside anyway.
And that my friend, is the attitude that we should all be proud of. As my kiwi friends used to say, “good on ya”!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929