DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

International Travel w/DJI Power Adapter?

MRomine

Reactions
Mods, if this is not in an appraise location please move accordingly.

Any electrical gurus here?

The U.S. version of the DJI Power Adapter that comes with the M2P for charging batteries says that it is a 100-220v 1.6A device. Does that mean that I do not need a voltage converter when traveling in the U.K. (which as I understand it is 220v world) and I only need a European plug adapter? I thought that I had read one time that a device that displays a 100-220v label means that it can on it's own do the voltage conversion and no converter is need just a plug adapter.

Looking to be educated.

Thanks

Yes.. The adapters are universal. (It saves designing one charger for 110 V and another for 220V) All you need is the correct cord.

I recall the first universal charger I owned. It came with a DSLR camera... I went on vacation from 110V Canada to 220V New Zealand.. I held my breath when I first plugged it in.. But to my relief it worked just fine :)

Yes.. The adapters are universal. (It saves designing one charger for 110 V and another for 220V) All you need is the correct cord.

I recall the first universal charger I owned. It came with a DSLR camera... I went on vacation from 110V Canada to 220V New Zealand.. I held my breath when I first plugged it in.. But to my relief it worked just fine :)

Ok good to know. I thought that was the case but it is always good to get a confirmation before plugging something in.

Thanks for your reply.

Always check first (can be quite a hazard if you're wrong and if the device does not have built in protection), but I think you will find that most if not all your chargers for various devices are going to be 100-220v compatible. Every smartphone charger I've ever seen, every camera battery charger I've ever seen, laptop charger, etc. Again, always double check though - it will be marked on the charging block, but sometimes small and hard to read.

Oral B electric toothbrush chargers, however, are not. Ask me how I know that ? They want you to buy the appropriate secondary charger.

Also note most hairdryers have a switch on them for 110/220v that you may need to change - it's generally not a problem going from 220v --> 110v but it is when you go the other way. Some curling irons/hair straighteners are the same.

The DJI charging block has USB port(s) on it as well for charging the remote or other devices while your drone batteries are charging.

I just came back from Europe again and used one of these - high quality, and adds 2 extra USB's for charging your phones/tablets:

Reactions: MRomine and ff22
Always check first (can be quite a hazard if you're wrong and if the device does not have built in protection), but I think you will find that most if not all your chargers for various devices are going to be 100-220v compatible. Every smartphone charger I've ever seen, every camera battery charger I've ever seen, laptop charger, etc. Again, always double check though - it will be marked on the charging block, but sometimes small and hard to read.

Oral B electric toothbrush chargers, however, are not. Ask me how I know that ? They want you to buy the appropriate secondary charger.

Also note most hairdryers have a switch on them for 110/220v that you may need to change - it's generally not a problem going from 220v --> 110v but it is when you go the other way. Some curling irons/hair straighteners are the same.

The DJI charging block has USB port(s) on it as well for charging the remote or other devices while your drone batteries are charging.

I just came back from Europe again and used one of these - high quality, and adds 2 extra USB's for charging your phones/tablets:

I will use your post to add something. If folks follow that link, the 4th photo down does show where some adapters can run into trouble - that is with RECESSED sockets. Not every PLUG adapter can fit inside those recessed sockets. So, if you get plug adapters make sure that they are slim/small enough to fit.

And the link is for a European adapters and there can be some subtle variations on northern and southern Europe (or at least there were). The shown adapter does not work in the UK as it states.

What I've used is a kind of short extension cord with multiple sockets. That way, one plug adapter at its end plugs into the wall and then I can plug in a few US charger plugs into the extension end. I do make sure not to overwhelm the socket.

Reactions: MRomine
I will use your post to add something. If folks follow that link, the 4th photo down does show where some adapters can run into trouble - that is with RECESSED sockets. Not every PLUG adapter can fit inside those recessed sockets. So, if you get plug adapters make sure that they are slim/small enough to fit.

And the link is for a European adapters and there can be some subtle variations on northern and southern Europe (or at least there were). The shown adapter does not work in the UK as it states.

What I've used is a kind of short extension cord with multiple sockets. That way, one plug adapter at its end plugs into the wall and then I can plug in a few US charger plugs into the extension end. I do make sure not to overwhelm the socket.

I can't speak for every country, but it did fit into every deeply recessed socket I encountered in Iceland, Austria, Italy (North, South, and Sardinia), Switzerland, Germany, Czech Republic, Hungary, and Slovakia. You do indeed need a different one for the UK. You can buy simpler ones like this that should also have no issues if you are at all concerned, or an extension type like you mentioned:

Reactions: ff22
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus