DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Invasion of Privacy on a photo shoot

Wait until UPS/Amazon/FED EX start using drones, I wonder how people will react.

So, will they be permitted to fly over people and properties?

Reactions: E90RAW
If/when they start that, I can't imagine there will be much airspace left for us :(
Quite. That was my point and whilst you might have the right to bear arms I think you will find Amazon, UPS, DHL etc have much heavier artillery when it comes to legislation.

OTOH... I don't expect to see a drone delivery service in any town or city in my life time. (I expect/hope to live another 30 years) Remember the "news" of the 50's and 60's saying we will all be commuting in cars that convert to helicopters/fixed wing . Lots of prototypes (same again with drone taxis recently) but it never gets any further than a prototype meeting the legislators and insurance companies.

Call me silly but I would think that the first thing I would do is place a magnetic sign on the side of my vehicle that said that I was a commercial real estate photographer. I also wonder why the commercial flyers on this forum do not for the most part ware those available vests that say basically "FAA Licensed Drone Pilot" or some such. Would that eliminate all confrontational situations? Probably not but what I have also done is have my spouse there with me that handles any on the ground confrontational questions or concerns. That has eliminated pretty much 100% of any issues I have while flying. This has worked for me and gives us time together sharing a passion and the great outdoors.

I was on a local golf course at the weekend and lost VLOS when I looked at something else- couldn't see or hear the drone and it was only maybe 80m up and less than 400m away.

Thought I'd be clever and find myself without needing to look at the GPS- spun the gimbal down and had a whole screen of bunkers and greens and absolutely no idea which one I was stood next to !!! Suffice to say I didn't feel smart then but took advantage of the opportunity and started loosely flying a S&R grid until I heard that familiar buzzing!
Its very frustrating and anxiety producing when hat occurs! I had my M2P blown off course at the beach(no one underneath thankfully as beach deserted) and could not figure out where it went as I had lost VLOS. Had to run around the beach looking at where I was on the SC map to figure out which was to walk. I finally found it 6 feet from the H2O and 200 feet from my position. Yikes.

Call me silly but I would think that the first thing I would do is place a magnetic sign on the side of my vehicle that said that I was a commercial real estate photographer. I also wonder why the commercial flyers on this forum do not for the most part ware those available vests that say basically "FAA Licensed Drone Pilot" or some such. Would that eliminate all confrontational situations? Probably not but what I have also done is have my spouse there with me that handles any on the ground confrontational questions or concerns. That has eliminated pretty much 100% of any issues I have while flying. This has worked for me and gives us time together sharing a passion and the great outdoors.
thats a great idea. I am amazed how quickly its spread through the real estate market (drones). Now you can see the entire house in a 360 inside and out.

I was flying near our commercial port last week, which is a restricted air zone, and had a nice but stern port cop also wonder what I was up to. She was patient enough to let me explain that I couldn't even fly into the port area if I wanted to and then showed her I was doing a hyperlapse in the opposite direction, which is an ocean marine preserve. She then wondered about the price of drones and by the end of it I think she was sold on a new Mavic Air 2. I gave her my details & website as my card was in the car and all went well. A little courtesy and even some education on what my drone could and could not actually do went a long way in letting a pleasant flying experience remain a pleasant flying experience. At the end, I was even able to show her the hyperlapse. I think you handled it well and hopefully put the neighbor at ease. A few proper answers is much better than a combative response. This all took place on a beach and I think she stayed around just to be outside. We were both happy to be out of quarantine for a while.View attachment 101190
That was a great result. Not everyone wants to hear what we have to say though. Glad it went well

I had a surveyor walk onto my property without asking permission. He even dug a small hole. I stepped outside & politely asked what he was doing. He immediately got huffy & said he had a right as a surveyor to access my property WITHOUT permission. I stated that had he asked politely, I certainly would've said yes. As he was getting nastier, I ordered him off the property & said I'd call the cops (something I would never do otherwise). He become quite belligerent. I was pi$$ed as hell.

My point is that a polite explanation is usually all that's needed in a situation like the OP describes. Perhaps wear a vest with "Acme Real Estate Aerial Photo Company - Work in Progress". Many of my neighbors are VERY nosey and will call the cops if your car is too dirty. OTOH, many drone fliers are oblivious to anything other than their hobby.

I believe that everything we do has the capacity for either good or bad PR for our passion. I try to be extremely polite & unassuming. If you are a licensed pro, the nosey neighbor could have been a potential customer, if handled diplomatically.

I was at Fred Myers my girl was shopping. I recently had back surgery and leg ankle surgery so I stayed out, I broke out my hubsan 501 and it was a 3 major lot parking lot with 1 dead empty And roped off, the other 2 were less than 1/3 full. It’s night and I’m flying in the space and this dude in a van drives up and says what are you doing? I say I’m killing 20 mins while Babygirl shops, he starts in with this conspiracy theory nonsense and I ask him if he’s taken his meds in a while. He blathers on with how illegal I am videotaping. Now yes there is lots technically wrong flying there but I wasn’t bothering anyone . So finally I tell him that there are 9 hidden and 6 open cameras videotaping him all ready from the store, I wasn’t videoing I was workin glide slopes and whatever. Dude kept getting madder by the sentence till I told how sorry I was his father moletsted him while mom videotaped it and how I wish he would have gotten hugs not drugs growing up but not only no but hell no im not stopping and opened my jacket At that Point he decided to leave me be, the people squawking the loudest against flying drones Are always some dipstick starving for attention

I was at Fred Myers my girl was shopping. I recently had back surgery and leg ankle surgery so I stayed out, I broke out my hubsan 501 and it was a 3 major lot parking lot with 1 dead empty And roped off, the other 2 were less than 1/3 full. It’s night and I’m flying in the space and this dude in a van drives up and says what are you doing? I say I’m killing 20 mins while Babygirl shops, he starts in with this conspiracy theory nonsense and I ask him if he’s taken his meds in a while. He blathers on with how illegal I am videotaping. Now yes there is lots technically wrong flying there but I wasn’t bothering anyone . So finally I tell him that there are 9 hidden and 6 open cameras videotaping him all ready from the store, I wasn’t videoing I was workin glide slopes and whatever. Dude kept getting madder by the sentence till I told how sorry I was his father moletsted him while mom videotaped it and how I wish he would have gotten hugs not drugs growing up but not only no but hell no im not stopping and opened my jacket At that Point he decided to leave me be, the people squawking the loudest against flying drones Are always some dipstick starving for attention

This has to be a troll.......

• Haha
Reactions: pelagic_one
When commercial deliveries start and they put Drone Delivery Lanes in to residential areas they will become NO FLY ZONES for everyone other than registered delivery drones from the big companies. So you won't be able to fly in residential areas at all!!!! It will be like trying to fly in an airport runway approach zone.

Oh Bull ****... LOL

When commercial deliveries start and they put Drone Delivery Lanes in to residential areas they will become NO FLY ZONES for everyone other than registered delivery drones from the big companies. So you won't be able to fly in residential areas at all!!!! It will be like trying to fly in an airport runway approach zone.
Not necessarily, That is what the remote ID stuff is about. (They need to work on pilot location privacy) But what I suspect will happen is the general aviation pilots will have to fly higher and commercial drones, then flying cars(drones with people inside telling AI where to go) will get a level between 400 and 800 feet. Photo drones, trees, fly balls, and kites will keep the 400 and lower areas.

I was on a local golf course at the weekend and lost VLOS when I looked at something else- couldn't see or hear the drone and it was only maybe 80m up and less than 400m away.

Thought I'd be clever and find myself without needing to look at the GPS- spun the gimbal down and had a whole screen of bunkers and greens and absolutely no idea which one I was stood next to !!! Suffice to say I didn't feel smart then but took advantage of the opportunity and started loosely flying a S&R grid until I heard that familiar buzzing!

I just had a similar experience last saturday and i was only like 100 meters distance horizontally lost myself with the mavic air.

Dark blue skies, shinibg bright sun on my right, underexposed my shots and only 30-50 meters height camo my tiny drone with the distant dark tree line up ahead.

I was going in circles up until i came up with the idea to check the map. I was waaaay 200 meters far away.

Also. 190 meters is very difficult to see the air even in open spaces. Im not surprised you couldnt see it in 400.

Not necessarily, That is what the remote ID stuff is about. (They need to work on pilot location privacy) But what I suspect will happen is the general aviation pilots will have to fly higher and commercial drones, then flying cars(drones with people inside telling AI where to go) will get a level between 400 and 800 feet. Photo drones, trees, fly balls, and kites will keep the 400 and lower areas.

You are over thinking it.
Every time something like this has been suggested eg 50's 60's personal flying cars, recently drone Taxi's etc it gets as far as a prototype, a demo flight and then it dies when they start talking to legislators and the insurance companies. It isn't going to happen in the next 25 years in any urban areas.

I just had a similar experience last saturday and i was only like 100 meters distance horizontally lost myself with the mavic air.

Dark blue skies, shinibg bright sun on my right, underexposed my shots and only 30-50 meters height camo my tiny drone with the distant dark tree line up ahead.

I was going in circles up until i came up with the idea to check the map. I was waaaay 200 meters far away.

Also. 190 meters is very difficult to see the air even in open spaces. Im not surprised you couldnt see it in 400.

I like how I've seen many posts saying wrapgrade or decal girls stuff have been fitted "to see the drone more easily"- I'm certainly not knocking it but even if my mini is bright orange/red/pink I doubt it's going to help me see it for long once it's up in the air and off buzzing around!

Although I do giggle at the camo wraps- I need all the help I can get not make it harder !!!

Reactions: TwoLiterSoda
I like how I've seen many posts saying wrapgrade or decal girls stuff have been fitted "to see the drone more easily"- I'm certainly not knocking it but even if my mini is bright orange/red/pink I doubt it's going to help me see it for long once it's up in the air and off buzzing around!

Although I do giggle at the camo wraps- I need all the help I can get not make it harder !!!

Real Men(tm) have Commando Black bag for their drones and camo skins so they can do Surveillance and Recon but we can't tell you what the "Op's are.... :)

Yes the camo skins makes me giggle.
As one of my Platoon Commanders once observed: "One man's camo is another man's target!"

I have seen some people arrested because they had the "wrong camo" pattern on their clothes. Turned out to be students on holiday wearing bits of army surplus but the camo was from a nation that supplied the local terrorists. In one case in North Africa many years ago the group of a dozen students on holiday and camping, suing some bits of army surplus gear, in a rural area were not arrested. The local militia blitzed the camp and there were no complete bodies to arrest. (they ID'ed them from luggage and wallets).

Most military people I know, particularly ex-military (other than when doing DIY or gardening at home ) never wear camo kit out and about.

As an aside all the military drones I have seen do NOT have camo paint jobs. Though the small ones ie not Reaper and Global Hawk tend to be a single plain colour because one man's camo is another man's target)

I was thinking about a skin for mine but it would be a High-Vis design based on the company logo. Any help to see it the better.

BTW there is another thread bemoaning that DJI drones in their country are limiter to a couple of Km rather than the full 10Km limit of the transceivers! I wonder if they have camo skins :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Lurch003
2 factors that have to be satisfied with any invasion of privacy:
1) Does the complainant have a reasonable expectation of privacy in the location at the time of the alleged incident
2) Is there intent on behalf of the operator

Conditions were perfect, calm, sun had been up for a few hours basking the front of the house in a warm glow.
I was taking real estate photos for my portfolio. I show up, dressed professionally, clearly not hiding myself or intentions.
I get several key shots and the neighbor from across the street comes out and very sharply says, "What are you doing there sir?"
Once I established that my craft was in a safe place to hover I turned around and calmly said, "I'm a commercial pilot taking photos of the house for XXX (I named the owners)"
She replied, still sharp but slightly subdued, "Well, I didn't want you invading anyones privacy".
I thanked her for asking and continued on my process.

I chose not to educate her on my legality to do what I'm doing, controlled air space and that she did not control the air above her own home and that I'm taking photos of a house, not in the bathroom window.

I thought I handled that well and will try and be prepared for more encounters.
What do you think?
What experiences have you had and how did they go?View attachment 101116
When I do shoots, personally and professionally I like to let the neighbors know what I am doing the day before I go out to do a shoot when possible. It’s a lot easier to defuse situations in advance then to have to try and figure it out when you’re burning through your battery time.

Reactions: dougiefresh27
Conditions were perfect, calm, sun had been up for a few hours basking the front of the house in a warm glow.
I was taking real estate photos for my portfolio. I show up, dressed professionally, clearly not hiding myself or intentions.
I get several key shots and the neighbor from across the street comes out and very sharply says, "What are you doing there sir?"
Once I established that my craft was in a safe place to hover I turned around and calmly said, "I'm a commercial pilot taking photos of the house for XXX (I named the owners)"
She replied, still sharp but slightly subdued, "Well, I didn't want you invading anyones privacy".

I chose not to educate her on my legality to do what I'm doing, controlled air space and that she did not control the air above her own home and that I'm taking photos of a house, not in the bathroom window.

What do you think?
I went out one day

What do you think?
I was out shooting on a Sunday morning early a few weeks ago for a job...no one around...but I made the mistake of having my truck about a foot into blocking a guy's driveway - he could get through easily. About halfway through the mission - when the AC was max distance from me, a guy starts YELLING at me from inside a truck in the middle of the street. He said I was blocking his driveway, and to MOVE THE TRUCK IMMEDIATELY! I calmly said I was flying a drone, and that I was sorry about the truck, and a I would land the drone in about three minutes. He starts yelling NOW! HIT RETURN TO HOME! (He knew something about drones). I tell him again it will just be a few minutes, and please don't interfere with a drone pilot. I look down for a second and look up and he's now out of the truck walking towards me, yelling the same BS. This time I take notice and give him the riot act that if something goes wrong he'll be in big trouble with the FAA. He stops walking towards me and goes back to his truck. As I pass him on the way out I apologize profusely and he nodded and gruffly said 'have a nice day.' I always do everything I can to de-escalate these situations but when a guy is walking towards you yelling...the next time I parked more carefully

Reactions: dougiefresh27
When I first started filming with drones 5 years ago, I used to explain what I was doing, I'd talk about the law, I'd give them a peak at the monitor.... Now depending if they come out aggressive, I just say, Sorry can't talk, Your interfering with my work, your neighbor hired me take it up with them. Or you can always call the cops. :) or as in the case last week when I was shooting a construction job, I said, "I'm a licensed FAA Pilot, you are interfering with a lawful flight, which is a felony, you can call the cops right now if you want, or wait till I done and I'll call them. You can't fix "stupid" and I dont even try anymore. In the age of "bleach will cure you" people have already made up their minds. Thats why I have given up residential real-estate so I dont have to deal with 'stupid' as much.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunatico028