DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Invasion of Privacy on a photo shoot

You are over thinking it.
Every time something like this has been suggested eg 50's 60's personal flying cars, recently drone Taxi's etc it gets as far as a prototype, a demo flight and then it dies when they start talking to legislators and the insurance companies. It isn't going to happen in the next 25 years in any urban areas.
Remote ID version one is probably 5 years away. Version one will not handle occupied drones.
But we already have self-driving land cars. And in many ways, there is more dangerous.
First versions likely be as controlled service.like Uber Air etc.. Vs George Jetson.

It doesn’t hurt to knock on the neighbor’s doors and/or notify the local police to let them know what you are up to before the flight. In fact, hand the neighbors a business card and/or a flyer with your contact info. They or their real estate agent may contact you.

When I fly commercially or recreationally, I wear a lanyard holding my “papers,” which makes me look official. When I fly commercially, I add an orange vest that says “PILOT” on it. I’ve never had anyone ask me what I was doing, but I’ve had lots of people watch and approach me to ask questions about the hobby or business of flying after I land. I‘ve recently added photos of QR Codes on my iPhone that when scanned by someone’s smart phone, they get my vCard from one and links to my YouTube channel from another, which has examples of my work. This QR Code exchange of info takes seconds and doesn’t cost anything.

Reactions: jagraphics
Remote ID version one is probably 5 years away. Version one will not handle occupied drones.
But we already have self-driving land cars. And in many ways, there is more dangerous.
First versions likely be as controlled service.like Uber Air etc.. Vs George Jetson.

Your link is VERY OLD news by about 5 decades. Technically this sort of thing has been possible for decades. The problem is every time this sort of thing is shown: that is as far as it gets.
It dies every time it meets legislators, insurance people and safety engineers. Same goes for the personal Jet pack we were all going to have way back in the 1960's after James Bond had one. (and that was a real working system)

As for cars.... you are not going to see a fully autonomous cars in general use for several decades yet. There are some that are semi autonomous but there are some serious problems with rolling this out.

Last edited:
Your link is VERY OLD news by about 5 decades. Technically this sort of thing has been possible for decades. The problem is every time this sort of thing is shown: that is as far as it gets.
It dies every time it meets legislators, insurance people and safety engineers. Same goes for the personal Jet pack we were all going to have way back in the 1960's after James Bond had one. (and that was a real working system)

As for cars.... you are not going to see a fully autonomous cars in general use for several decades yet. There are some that are semi-autonomous but there are some serious problems with rolling this out.
There are several designs in play now. Like I said it will start with a service. Point to Point $200 to downtown to make a meeting or for a date etc.

Reactions: dougiefresh27
There are several designs in play now. Like I said it will start with a service. Point to Point $200 to downtown to make a meeting or for a date etc.

The have been at half a dozen designs in play for the last 50 years. None of them get past a prototype, a demo and meting the legislators and the insurance people.
Not going to happen other than in VERY FEW specialized cases in in a handful of locations globally. It then won't last.
This is nothing new.

Reactions: dougiefresh27
Several commercial flyers I know who do real estate videos and roof inspections have a printed flyer that explains it all and giving their details/registrations etc This normally solves all the problems and often gets them extra work.
Also some of them put the leaflets through the doors of the adjacent properties with a printed note to say. Please be aware that we are working at number 10 tomorrow/today between 13:00 and 14:00 etc. That says :"We are officail, professional, qualified, registered and working for your neighbour." apparently it stops 99% of problems before they start. And often gets them more work.

However there will always be one who knows you are spying for the NSA/China/CIA/Moscow/Freemasons/Illuminati etc
That is a very good idea and true

Great shot.
I think you handled that very well and I think she was probably just being curious.
Thank you. I kind of think that her sharp tone was smart on her part. See how I react. But remaining calm and clearly talking to her lowered her shackles

I wouldn't mind if deliveries started coming by drone. People would become accustom to the sound and not get all wound up when the hear a drone!
I just can't see drone deliveries working. A drone lowering with a small package would freak out dogs and entice kids to approach sometimes. They would have to have super cages around the props so "stupid" doesn't hurt them self

I went out one day

I was out shooting on a Sunday morning early a few weeks ago for a job...no one around...but I made the mistake of having my truck about a foot into blocking a guy's driveway - he could get through easily. About halfway through the mission - when the AC was max distance from me, a guy starts YELLING at me from inside a truck in the middle of the street. He said I was blocking his driveway, and to MOVE THE TRUCK IMMEDIATELY! I calmly said I was flying a drone, and that I was sorry about the truck, and a I would land the drone in about three minutes. He starts yelling NOW! HIT RETURN TO HOME! (He knew something about drones). I tell him again it will just be a few minutes, and please don't interfere with a drone pilot. I look down for a second and look up and he's now out of the truck walking towards me, yelling the same BS. This time I take notice and give him the riot act that if something goes wrong he'll be in big trouble with the FAA. He stops walking towards me and goes back to his truck. As I pass him on the way out I apologize profusely and he nodded and gruffly said 'have a nice day.' I always do everything I can to de-escalate these situations but when a guy is walking towards you yelling...the next time I parked more carefully
That could have ended bad. Well done.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dean1980