DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IOS or Android?

freightshaker

Reactions
Okay, I got impatient trying to get my Galaxy Tab 2 (9.7") to replace my dedicated old Galaxy S7. Which I was using instead of my S10. So I digressed, while I was looking for solutions to get it to work with the Spark I ordered an iPad (4th generation) then that wasn't compatible with the DJI To Go 4 app! Now sell the 4th generation & buy a 6th generation that's less than 2 months old & like new.
Then I got the Air, plugged the cord that came with it in the front USB then that into the Tab 2. Works perfectly! [emoji106]
So now I have an like new iPad that I haven't even tried yet & my Tab 2.
Now I've never used any Apple product before. Just installing the software was confusing since it only has the Home button. So finally, here's my question, which I hope is educational for others who are on the fence or couldn't get their Tab to work previously either.
Is the iPad worth keeping to use? Is it vastly different? Keep in mind, I've never used IOS.

Indeed getting used to iOS navigation or even Mac mouse navigation can take a learning curve and getting used to.

There are some things that are better with iOS and some third party apps that are iOS only.

Reactions: freightshaker
Help a guy struggling with Apple out here. Can't just leave it hanging like that. [emoji848]
Which apps?
On the Tab I have Drone Harmony, Litchi, Red, Air map & Kitty Hawk. On a side note, Litchi won't let you have 1 license for both operating systems.
Sometimes I use my S7 or the Tab with one license. If I wanted to use my S7 & an iPad I'd have to pay again. They will refund my Play store purchase after presenting proof of purchasing from the iStore
Indeed getting used to iOS navigation or even Mac mouse navigation can take a learning curve and getting used to.

There are some things that are better with iOS and some third party apps that are iOS only.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Android is better, It think. I never have issues. Apple is to controlling and expensive. Plus my Android has a 200 gb SD card, so I can cache everything, then delete if I wish. Android is awesome. Apple lovers will always tell you that DJI is meant to be used with ios, but DJI Smart Controller is Android.

Android is better, It think. I never have issues. Apple is to controlling and expensive. Plus my Android has a 200 gb SD card, so I can cache everything, then delete if I wish. Android is awesome. Apple lovers will always tell you that DJI is meant to be used with ios, but DJI Smart Controller is Android.
Apple's controlling nature is what makes it reliable.

The sc is android because apple do not allow any 3rd parties to use their operating system. Dji had no choice.

Whichever operating system you are used to is best.
Both can run DJI Go equally well.
The important thing is to get a tablet with enough processing speed and RAM to run it properly.

Whichever operating system you are used to is best.
Both can run DJI Go equally well.
The important thing is to get a tablet with enough processing speed and RAM to run it properly.
They can - provided you get the correct android device. With Apple, it's going to work.

Reactions: GlenM
I use IOS exclusively due to the overall level of support. Watched the spinoffs and they just didn’t get the full support IOS did. Also, I depend upon the Ipad to provide near 100% of my processing. I can do editing onsight if need be with my production app, cell coverage, hot spot, 4K support, flight app, book keeping, printing to mobile printer for invoices, bills, quotes, etc. Share data between my Iphone and Ipad so I can get to my stuff anywhere/anytime. Can go between IOS and Windows for backups locally if need be. Cloud storage is your friend. Just my .02.

No, that's a myth that doesn't stand up.
Try an underpowered Apple device and you'll be just as disappointed as if you tried an underpowered Android device.
You cannot buy a new apple device today that is not powerful enough for DJI GO4.

You cannot buy a new apple device today that is not powerful enough for DJI GO4.
Posts #7, 8 or 10 had no mention of the word "new" and many users are flying with or trying tablets that aren't current models.

This is always going to be an us vs them kind of question/answer. If someone has experience with both OS’s using the newest devices from each, that person would be able to give the best comparison. I’ve flown my Mavic Air exclusively with a 2 year old iPhone 8 Plus and a 4 year old iPad Air. I’ve had no issues using either and I commonly use GO4, Litchi, AirMap, etc. I use a newer MacBook Pro with FinalCut for editing.

This is always going to be an us vs them kind of question/answer. If someone has experience with both OS’s using the newest devices from each, that person would be able to give the best comparison. I’ve flown my Mavic Air exclusively with a 2 year old iPhone 8 Plus and a 4 year old iPad Air. I’ve had no issues using either and I commonly use GO4, Litchi, AirMap, etc. I use a newer MacBook Pro with FinalCut for editing.
Yes and very over priced. Android has been great since the last upgrade. I never have issues. I think a lot of the problems people have is the phone itself. I always have Samsung Note phones and never had problems. I am a Computer builder and repairmen, so I like to have control and be able to tweak and set my devices the way I like, not they way the company that makes it, wants me to have it setup. Apple has always been way overpriced. Now they moved manufacturing to China, so I will never buy from them, because they won't lower prices, even though they moved there to get cheap labor. But I also have no problem if someone uses or like Aplle better. Just my opinion.

I'm not sure - but Android always seems to involve a compromise.
Post #7
Post #10
Try an underpowered Apple device and you'll be just as disappointed as if you tried an underpowered Android device.

Try any of the many very good Android devices and there's no compromise.
Also no overheating problems in Summer and less wallet penalty.

Use a relatively new model of whatever device you are most comfortable using. Note the points made by @Meta4 above.

If you can have a dedicated device for drone flying you may also be happier.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J