DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ipad 2018 with mavic air 2

MGVision

Reactions
1.Do someone of you using ipad 2018 with mavic air 2 and can confirm that it handle dji go fly app with no lags and glitches? I am asking cuz i tried to use my xaomi mi max 3 (6 gb ram 8x1,8 ghz cpu) and it is unusable in long run (glitches and lags in video recording, pictures cant be saved directly into phone, swaping between video recording and taking pictures creating massive lag and is taking like few to dozen seconds). I had no problems with this phone and dji go 4 app with my mavic 2 pro. Why app for air 2 is more demanding then app for mavic 2 pro?
2.Next thing is that my ipad 2018 dont have wifi so no gps for me. Does rth will work properly with no gps? And how would i know where is my drone with no radar on my screen?
3. Why dji took down normal usb port? How can i now conect ipad to controler, usb c to lighting is the only option?
4. I dont see any option in dji go fly app where i can change codec 265 or 264, am i blind or we cant change it?

Last edited:
There is an option to change the codec. You have to make sure that you are not shooting at 60fps. Set your video recording at 30fps and it will give you the option to change to H.264. I haven't checked all the frame rates but I know that 30 works. I am using a 2019 Ipad with no issues. I use a USB-C to lightning cable.

Reactions: MGVision
There is an option to change the codec. You have to make sure that you are not shooting at 60fps. Set your video recording at 30fps and it will give you the option to change to H.264. I haven't checked all the frame rates but I know that 30 works. I am using a 2019 Ipad with no issues. I use a USB-C to lightning cable.
Well, and this is something to think about. So codec 265 is only available on 60 fps? and 264 on 30 fps?

4k60 can only use h265. For the others, you should be able to select h264 or h265.

As far as your other questions:

1 - I haven't used and ipad 2018, but it should be ok. Has the same chip as the iphone 7, which many people have used successfully. That said, a few did complain they had trouble with the iphone 7, perhaps heating up too much. You may need to turn of caching of video

2 - The fly app, despite its less features at the moment, is the more advanced app and requires more power.

3 - You don't need GPS for RTH to home to work. RTH is for the drone's GPS. You will not be able to accurately use the feature to a set a different, new homepoint to the controller's location, although you can still set it to the drone's new location or by putting it on the map somewhere. The compass and icon should still work, it may not be accurate with the drone very close to you. There are ongoing discussions how it isn't working well for a number of people anyway at the moment. You can still use the map.

4 - The "normal" USB port is a dying technology. USB-C is what everything is moving to. Some new Apple products come with USB-C to lightning cables now, and some (like the ipad Pro) ditched lightning all together in favor of USB-C. Laptop/desktop makers are still including old USB-A to not force people to buy a whole bunch of new cables, but you'll see less and less of them over the next couple of years. So yes, you need a USB-C to lightning for the ipad 2018. Easy to find.

Reactions: MGVision
4k60 can only use h265. For the others, you should be able to select h264 or h265.

As far as your other questions:

1 - I haven't used and ipad 2018, but it should be ok. Has the same chip as the iphone 7, which many people have used successfully. That said, a few did complain they had trouble with the iphone 7, perhaps heating up too much. You may need to turn of caching of video

2 - The fly app, despite its less features at the moment, is the more advanced app and requires more power.

3 - You don't need GPS for RTH to home to work. RTH is for the drone's GPS. You will not be able to accurately use the feature to a set a different, new homepoint to the controller's location, although you can still set it to the drone's new location or by putting it on the map somewhere. The compass and icon should still work, it may not be accurate with the drone very close to you. There are ongoing discussions how it isn't working well for a number of people anyway at the moment. You can still use the map.

4 - The "normal" USB port is a dying technology. USB-C is what everything is moving to. Some new Apple products come with USB-C to lightning cables now, and some (like the ipad Pro) ditched lightning all together in favor of USB-C. Laptop/desktop makers are still including old USB-A to not force people to buy a whole bunch of new cables, but you'll see less and less of them over the next couple of years. So yes, you need a USB-C to lightning for the ipad 2018. Easy to find.
You can always use a external GPS like the Garmin Glo 2. I just purchased one and it works very well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead