DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad Compass

But 68 year old eyes need a larger than a 4" screen! :)
So do 42 year old eyes!

Have you done a true test of Find My Drone on wifi only ipad? If you haven't, please do me a favor and try it. I could not get it to work nor can I figure out how it could. But I could be wrong and wanting to know for sure.

Just fly the MM out 100 ft and land it. Then activate FMD and turn and walk AWAY from the drone. See if the indicator shows you no moving away. Not that you have turned away (compass response) but actual movement away from the MM.

I tried this and you're right Ray, it did not work at all, even with the iPad tethered to a phone with cell/gps/4g
It was quite a worrying discovery tbh.
Looks like its back to my phone until I can afford a solution.

Last edited:
I tried this and you're right Ray, it did not work at all, even with the iPad tethered to a phone with cell/gps/4g
It was quite a worrying discovery tbh.
Hotspotting from the phone only provides internet access - not GPS data.
But there's very little need for GPS in the tablet anyway.

find my drone?
It would still show the position on the map but the tablet wouldn't know its own position.
But it's not a feature that many flyers ever use.
And you can still come home and check recorded flight data if you really need to know where you might have flown to.

It would still show the position on the map but the tablet wouldn't know its own position.
But it's not a feature that many flyers ever use.
And you can still come home and check recorded flight data if you really need to know where you might have flown to.
You're right but it makes the feature completely redundant.
I suppose it's a bit like airbags on a car, most drivers will never be in a position where they go off, but it's reassuring to know they'll work if they're ever actually needed.

As I have written before FMD really needs GPS on the remote control to work properly. In many cases just knowing the "general area" without reference to your position is less than ideal. If down in high weeds or hidden by foliage up in a group of trees, trying to figure out exactly where it is can be extremely difficult. With GPS you can walk back and forth watching your position in relation to the lost drone on the screen and greatly narrow the location. At times even with GPS it can be hard.

In some instances, like a clear open pasture or park, just the map may be fine but where I fly those situations rare.

Reactions: gb160
If I am out doing flying where it’s remote I take a GPS with me . If you land your drone at any spot the FMD gives you The coordinates . You can put those in your GPS and walk right up to the last recorded gps info the drone has . Works flawless.

Reactions: gb160
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark