DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IPAD Holder Recommendations

When the screen is so far out over the front of the controller, instead of properly balanced, the controller is constantly wanting to fall forward, out of your hands. When filming, precise movements are helped by a relaxed hand, not one flexed from holding something from falling. You want the screen weight, ESPECIALLY when its above the controller, to be centered.

Reactions: iQuirk
When the screen is so far out over the front of the controller, instead of properly balanced, the controller is constantly wanting to fall forward, out of your hands. When filming, precise movements are helped by a relaxed hand, not one flexed from holding something from falling. You want the screen weight, ESPECIALLY when its above the controller, to be centered.

That is not an issue with the mount from Thor's Drone World. Their mount is balanced and will sit upright when placed on a flat surface. It also has a lanyard mount to help if needed.

That is not an issue with the mount from Thor's Drone World. Their mount is balanced and will sit upright when placed on a flat surface. It also has a lanyard mount to help if needed.
I think you're talking about a totally different thing. For a controller to be well balanced, the center of gravity needs to be at about the center of the hand placement when holding the controller. Move that balance point forward, and it wants to fall out of your hand, forcing you to flex your hand to keep it from falling. That causes fatigue, and hinders fine motor movement in your fingers... which is how you fly precisely.

yes, that design can sit on a table, but thats with a controller attached, and only with a long metal (edit) plexiglass) piece that sticks out from the back of the controller inches past the back of the antenna. The reason thats there, is because its unbalanced, and needs a huge footprint to stay upright.

Look to the right of the picture, you'll see what I mean.

I dont know if I'm explaining well, so here's a video. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I think you're talking about a totally different thing. For a controller to be well balanced, the center of gravity needs to be at about the center of the hand placement when holding the controller. Move that balance point forward, and it wants to fall out of your hand, forcing you to flex your hand to keep it from falling. That causes fatigue, and hinders fine motor movement in your fingers... which is how you fly precisely.

yes, that design can sit on a table, but thats with a controller attached, and only with a long metal piece that sticks out from the back of the controller inches past the back of the antenna. The reason thats there, is because its unbalanced, and needs a huge footprint to stay upright.

Look to the right of the picture, you'll see what I mean.

I dont know if I'm explaining well, so here's a video. Hope this helps.

Thanks for posting that video. It definitely explained it and cleared it up for me.

Reactions: Aerial West
Reactions: DallasMelman
I can highly recommend the mount by Thor's Drone World from Norway. I have their version 2 mount and love it and the quality. It mounts the iPad above the controller. Here is a link to their site, Mavic Mount | Thor's Drone World

0cff38_c2a42b5b11594ad991f9a100e2bbb614~mv2.jpg
Ive been keeping an eye on this model for about a month new going back and forth on the decision to buy... the main reason being that the pitch of the screen was not adjustable one it was mounted. Low and behold, they now have a V3 which allows the screen to me moved. Order placed, awaiting shipment. Will update once i receive.

Since a mini iPad fits so nicely in the holder on the controller, why the need for an additional holder?
The top reasons are:

1. The form factor. Wrapping around a large tablet is akward to get to the sticks that are now further away. Doable yeah, but akward.
2. Having the screen below the controller is like having your dashboard below your steering wheel.
3. Balance. It sucks down there compared to a proper position.
4. Use of a sun shade.
5. Not breaking the arms. They weren't made for that, so it stresses the controller, and I know of at least one that broke.

I have Thor's Drone World iPad holder V3 and I love it. Version 2 might be as good. The balans feels OK. Picture 2 shows the balance point. The iPad screen is closer than the remote which I like. V3 has an extra Ballhead Joint to adjust the iPad angle. (picture 3) IMG_1055.JPG IMG_1056.JPG IMG_1057.JPG

Reactions: Aerial West
I have Thor's Drone World iPad holder V3 and I love it. Version 2 might be as good. The balans feels OK. Picture 2 shows the balance point. The iPad screen is closer than the remote which I like. V3 has an extra Ballhead Joint to adjust the iPad angle. (picture 3)
Good post, it really shows the balance difference.

A poster here, after seeing my last video, sent me one of those mounts so he could get a MavMount, and I can show you the difference in balance that JMR pointed out. Please excuse my "studio"... ha.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_