DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ipad mini 4 with wi-fo and/or Cellular

Mavicdave68

Reactions
Hi Guys

Just bought a Mavic Pro and looking forward to flying particularly on holiday in Cape Verde where there are wide open quiet beaches !

I know that I could use my iphone 7 as a controller and to view the flight footage but as this is my work phone I tend not to switch it on when on holiday !

I'm thinking of getting either an iphone7 plus or maybe an iPad mini 4 from a certain auction site (I could use this then for music, video as and the controller for my Mavic)

Do I need to get a phone/ipad with Cellular as well as wi-fi please ?

Many thanks , dave

Do I need to get a phone/ipad with Cellular as well as wi-fi please?
With an active cellular connection, you can use features that require being connected to the Internet. For example, you could download the maps in real-time or stream your flights to YouTube in real-time.

Cellular Apple devices contain a GPS receiver. That GPS receiver is active even if the cellular service has not been activated. With GPS on your mobile device, you will be able to use the Follow Me flight mode or manually reset the home point to your current location after taking off.

Hi There ... OK that's great thank you ....... I think I'll look for the Cellular version then as I really like the idea of the Follow Me function and resetting the home piint after take off ! Could be very useful ! I was concerned that I'd have to take out a Cellular subscription to use this . Thanks mate

Reactions: lostinspace
I was concerned that I'd have to take out a Cellular subscription to use this
While you can buy Apple devices without a subscription, you'll pay more for them up front. They'll of course be cheaper in the long run though since you won't have to pay for that ongoing cellular connection.

While you can buy Apple devices without a subscription, you'll pay more for them up front. They'll of course be cheaper in the long run though since you won't have to pay for that ongoing cellular connection.

Yes that’s what I thought and why I’m looking second hand ... love the idea of not having my work phone on (!) plus using a larger screen on the iPad for the Mavic whilst doubling up as my music store for holiday ! I’m seeing win, win, win especially with the GPS features for the Mavic as you pointed out ! Thanks for your help, Dave

I just got (last week) the newest Ipad (9.7 in) Wifi only no cellular. It was $329 at apple.com . I think the one with cell was like $450. I have never had the need for the cell option .

Hi there ... yeah I know what you mean ... I was thinking about the GPS functions of cellular such as Return to Home and Follow Me modes ... I wouldn’t need a new one as it’s fir use as the controller and also music on holiday so currently trawling a well known auction site to see what Cellular versions are like price-wise ! Cheers mate

Reactions: Jordak
Hi there ... yeah I know what you mean ... I was thinking about the GPS functions of cellular such as Return to Home and Follow Me modes ... I wouldn’t need a new one as it’s fir use as the controller and also music on holiday so currently trawling a well known auction site to see what Cellular versions are like price-wise ! Cheers mate
What ever you decide on make sure it has enough power to handle the Go 4 app. Older models tend to not be able to run it very well.

I know this is an old thread but Gen 1 will NOT work.
Go ahead, ask me how I know.
:mad:

I bought my iPad mini from Apple refurbished store. It is WIFI as my data plan is limited and I finddd it is all I need. I need the larger screen.

OK .... as Prince Charles would say ... I’m all ears ....

I just bought a Mavic Pro with every intention to use one of my iPad Mini 1's since I have 4 of them (me, wife, kids) and they don't work.
I just went out to buy a Gen 4 with unlocked Cellular off of Facebook and the guy hands me a WiFi only Gen 1 hoping I wouldn't know to check the model number.
Dirtbag!!!

Ah ! I see ! I did consider using a well known auction site but ultimately went for a bit of peace of mind and bought an apple refurbished one directly from Apple ! Well spotted by you though

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS