DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad Mini 4

I too am about to buy a mini iPad 4. As a new guy, still trying to understand the drone connections between wifi and cellular, I just want to clarify a few things before I spend anothe $300

I definatley don't want to pay for another phone line but want to take advantage of all the features of the Mavic P. If I understand correctly the best way to go is buy the cellular iPad mini 4 without a phone line service. By doing that I will only lose the ability to automatically download maps.

Is that correct?

The GPS will automatically work and therefore features like tracking and return home will work?

I too am about to buy a mini iPad 4. As a new guy, still trying to understand the drone connections between wifi and cellular, I just want to clarify a few things before I spend anothe $300

I definatley don't want to pay for another phone line but want to take advantage of all the features of the Mavic P. If I understand correctly the best way to go is buy the cellular iPad mini 4 without a phone line service. By doing that I will only lose the ability to automatically download maps.

Is that correct?

The GPS will automatically work and therefore features like tracking and return home will work?

You don't need to have the cellular service activated in order to use the GPS. The reason people are buying the cellular iPads is because only that flavor comes with a built-in GPS module (the wifi models do not have a GPS module).

You can tether the iPad to your phone for an internet connection when you want to download maps, then disconnect once it has downloaded the maps.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz

Is that correct?

Yes correct.

For the map you have two possibilities :

1) create a hotspot with your phone
2) cache the map at home with your wifi

You don't need to have the cellular service activated in order to use the GPS. The reason people are buying the cellular iPads is because only that flavor comes with a built-in GPS module (the wifi models do not have a GPS module).

You can tether the iPad to your phone for an internet connection when you want to download maps, then disconnect once it has downloaded the maps.

Thank you for confirming the differences in the iPad mini 4. Greatly appreciated

Reactions: pure3d2
Cellular means you could get maps on the run, but if your phone makes a wireless hotspot you may have that already covered if needed. Keep in mind also most people recommend having a phone / tablet in Airplane mode to prevent calls or other distractions.

I finally got my Shield tablet to work for me, but was about ready to buy an iPad mini. I was looking at the 2's, they have the good screen and can be had (in Minneapolis, MN anyhow) around $100 in great shape.

Something to consider, perhaps.
Remember that if the area is cached already, you absolutely do not need cellular.

Reactions: gkrug
Unless you wsh to use Follow Me mode or are flying from a moving vehicle/boat/bike/etc and wish to set a new home point, in which case without GPS, you will be unable to do so on the wifi only version.

To overcome this, you can grab something like a Garmin Glo which works out cheaper than the difference between wifi and cellular too, should you need it.

Is that correct?

You do not need cellular or a home phone service (physical wires) to operate a Mavic. In fact it will fly a lot better if not monitored by external surveillance and/or connected to the www.

Unless you wsh to use Follow Me mode or are flying from a moving vehicle/boat/bike/etc and wish to set a new home point, in which case without GPS, you will be unable to do so on the wifi only version.

To overcome this, you can grab something like a Garmin Glo which works out cheaper than the difference between wifi and cellular too, should you need it.
Thanks those are features that i defiantly want to use. so the gps is a must.

I am confused. My iPad mini 4 is wifi only yet it finds my location instantly when not connected to wifi - therefore is must have GPS.

I opened Google maps offline then connected to wifi and my position on the map did not change.

I am confused. My iPad mini 4 is wifi only yet it finds my location instantly when not connected to wifi - therefore is must have GPS.

I opened Google maps offline then connected to wifi and my position on the map did not change.
your maps are cached. even when it doesnt have a map, it still has your gps coordinates.

The cacheing of the map technically just puts a picture of the area under the position.

Bought an I pad mini 4 , Brand new , 128 gb for £400 , in GB ,
Okay , Pheraps a bit over the Top !
But ?
With the ipads, and computer at home , I only ever use the mini for flying ?
No other programmes on it ,
IDEAL ! , Fits in the controller a treat ! and use the recommended 90% lead .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji