DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad Mini 5 and Mavic Pro

Reactions
Hi everyone! Can you all answer a noobie question for me? I am just learning to fly my new Mavic Pro, and I have noticed the display with my Google Pixel 2 is not that bright.....I am thinking of buying an iPad Mini 5 and using it.

My question: Do I need to buy the version that is phone enabled, because of the GPS chip? It is $125 more than the standard Mini 5, not mention I would have to add another phone line to my provider?

I really appreciate your guidance. TIA

Hi everyone! Can you all answer a noobie question for me? I am just learning to fly my new Mavic Pro, and I have noticed the display with my Google Pixel 2 is not that bright.....I am thinking of buying an iPad Mini 5 and using it.

My question: Do I need to buy the version that is phone enabled, because of the GPS chip? It is $125 more than the standard Mini 5, not mention I would have to add another phone line to my provider?

I really appreciate your guidance. TIA
No, you don't need an LTE version. Standard wifi one will suffice. Ipads do not cache maps, so you'd need to tether ipad to your phone when on location to obtain local mapping.
Since IOS 13.4, ipads have also lost the ability to do the cache trick of selecting flying location map using home wifi, then pressing power button once quickly to blank ipad screen, which, on actual location you were able to press home button and have map of area show on screen.
This is what I have found eith my ipad mini 4.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
The Ipad mini 5 won't give you more screen brightness than the Pixel 2 (496 nits) and Ipad Mini 5 (500 nits)

Your Pixel 2 has brightness of 483 nits while the iPad mini 5 comes in at 500 nits.
On a logarithmic scale, that's hardly enough difference to notice.
Unless you pay for a special high brightness screen, no regular screen is going to do well in sunlight.
Flying from shade (beside a tree etc) works very well.
The drone has a perfectly good GPS receiver that it uses for flight functions.
You don't need a GPS enabled iPad to fly.

No, you don't need an LTE version. Standard wifi one will suffice. Ipads do not cache maps, so you'd need to tether ipad to your phone when on location to obtain local mapping.
Since IOS 13.4, ipads have also lost the ability to do the cache trick of selecting flying location map using home wifi, then pressing power button once quickly to blank ipad screen, which, on actual location you were able to press home button and have map of area show on screen.
This is what I have found eith my ipad mini 4.

Thanks very much for your information. I really appreciated it!

Your Pixel 2 has brightness of 483 nits while the iPad mini 5 comes in at 500 nits.
On a logarithmic scale, that's hardly enough difference to notice.
Unless you pay for a special high brightness screen, no regular screen is going to do well in sunlight.
Flying from shade (beside a tree etc) works very well.

The drone has a perfectly good GPS receiver that it uses for flight functions.
You don't need a GPS enabled iPad to fly.
I appreciate your information. Learning new stuff every day.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenshin