DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IPad Mini 5

Starving Artist

Reactions
Hello Pilots,

Could not find this info in past posts so was hoping for a little advice. I know the iPad mini 4 is a popular tablet to use with the MM. Is anyone using the new iPad Mini 5 for the MM? I know it uses a different os, so I’m not sure about the compatibility.

I use a five for all of my Mavics. It’s brilliant.
Just a note on OS. The four and five are exactly the same.

Reactions: buddb55 and snapdog
I use a five for all of my Mavics.
As someone who has used the iPad Mini 5 with all of the Mavics, I assume this includes the Mini as well, I'm curious if you have observed any missing functionality versus using a smartphone with the DJI Fly app? I have been using the Go 4 on a smartphone with my Spark without any issues. Unfortunately the smartphone uses a 32 bit OS and the Fly app isn't compatible with it.The Mavic Air 2 uses the Fly app as well, so this means I need to get a device to run it. I prefer the Mini 5 due to the much larger screen. So I'm researching the pros and cons to using the Mini 5 instead of a smartphone.

As someone who has used the iPad Mini 5 with all of the Mavics, I assume this includes the Mini as well, I'm curious if you have observed any missing functionality versus using a smartphone with the DJI Fly app? I have been using the Go 4 on a smartphone with my Spark without any issues. Unfortunately the smartphone uses a 32 bit OS and the Fly app isn't compatible with it.The Mavic Air 2 uses the Fly app as well, so this means I need to get a device to run it. I prefer the Mini 5 due to the much larger screen. So I'm researching the pros and cons to using the Mini 5 instead of a smartphone.

I wrote 'all of my Mavics'. I don’t own a Mini.

Yep, got the mini back in December, and used with iPhone 6S. Then the small screen and inconvenience of removing the otter box convinced me to go with a refurb'd iPad mini 5 cellular...works great!

Reactions: Starving Artist
Hello Pilots,

Could not find this info in past posts so was hoping for a little advice. I know the iPad mini 4 is a popular tablet to use with the MM. Is anyone using the new iPad Mini 5 for the MM? I know it uses a different os, so I’m not sure about the compatibility.
I’m using my Ipad Mini 5 (Without cell service) with my MM and have had only one issue. The orientation icon is not displaying consistently, I posted the issue on the forum and am waiting for responses. Otherwise it is working fine.

Reactions: Starving Artist
I put a glare protector on my iPhone 11pro, but I found it too small. So I went with the iPad mini 5, and it's clearer than the iPhone was with the glare shield. I'm also using it to edit my vids with LumaFusion and it's light years faster than my Windows computer. I still do all my Photoshop work on my computer but this little iPad is great! A lot of folks are moving from their Macs to iPads for editing because of the rendering speed. Good luck, and stay safe.

Ipad mini 5 would be a better choice, since the processor is faster and I heard dji fly app has been updated to have the mini and regular ipad orientation...But if it's sunny..there is still glare, you just have a bigger screen, so a shade will be very usefull.

I did buy a sun hood for my Ipad Mini 5 and it cuts most of the glare. I was using an Ipad Air with my P3 pro and the Mini is so much lighter I now wouldn’t go back to the Air!

I did buy a sun hood for my Ipad Mini 5 and it cuts most of the glare. I was using an Ipad Air with my P3 pro and the Mini is so much lighter I now wouldn’t go back to the Air!
Agreed..most people complain about the weight of the ipad..mini is more manageable.

I also bought a sun hood for my Mini 5, but seldom use it unless it's high noon. I find a dark shirt and ball cap does the trick and an occasional turn away from the sun or flying from a shadow:)

Yep, got the mini back in December, and used with iPhone 6S. Then the small screen and inconvenience of removing the otter box convinced me to go with a refurb'd iPad mini 5 cellular...works great!

Guitarzan, did you choose the 64 or 256 model? i'm also interested in adding an ipad 5 but contemplating the additional cost of the 256, is it needed?

Guitarzan, did you choose the 64 or 256 model? i'm also interested in adding an ipad 5 but contemplating the additional cost of the 256, is it needed?
I went for the 256 model. It isn't needed for flight, but comes in handy if you plan to transfer video across for editing. I use Lumafusion for editing and have an SD card adapter to transfer the footage. Having that headroom to store files while editing makes a big difference. If you don't plan to edit on it then the additional storage is less important.

Reactions: freddyj
I went for the 256 model. It isn't needed for flight, but comes in handy if you plan to transfer video across for editing. I use Lumafusion for editing and have an SD card adapter to transfer the footage. Having that headroom to store files while editing makes a big difference. If you don't plan to edit on it then the additional storage is less important.
hi chris, thanks so much for your reply, makes sense, i'll prob grab the 256 to make life easier

I have the 64 model which works great. I had contemplated getting the 256, but went with the 64 as there are many external drives to take care of the volume of data. I recently got the new iPad Pro 12.9, with 128 gigs, as trying to use Lumafusion of the small-screen Mini was too hard. Got a 2 TB, WD G drive for $65 from B&H, which works on both the iPad and my PC. Now I use the iPad Pro for editing which is super fast! My PC is perfect for Photoshop and Lightroom, but try to render a video on the PC, and it would grunt and wheeze and say forgetaboutit!

I have the 64 model which works great. I had contemplated getting the 256, but went with the 64 as there are many external drives to take care of the volume of data. I recently got the new iPad Pro 12.9, with 128 gigs, as trying to use Lumafusion of the small-screen Mini was too hard. Got a 2 TB, WD G drive for $65 from B&H, which works on both the iPad and my PC. Now I use the iPad Pro for editing which is super fast! My PC is perfect for Photoshop and Lightroom, but try to render a video on the PC, and it would grunt and wheeze and say forgetaboutit!
I’m using an iPad mini 5, and just looking at iPad Pro’s. How does Luma Fusion run on them, and what do I need to connect an external drive?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25