DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad mini GPS question

jgallagher66

Reactions
So my google pixel 3 with android 11 will not open the DJI Fly app. So I bought an iPad mini and I’m waiting for a longer connection cable ordered through Amazon. If I tether my iPad mini using my Google pixel hotspot when I get GPS coordinates?

No. Tethering doesn't provide GPS data.
Bummer!

I don’t know if I should regret my iPad mini purchase. There seems to be not many good android tablets that can fly or work with the DJI Fly app. And I’d have to spend $600 to get out of my phone contract to purchase a new android phone that would work. Or if I purchased an iPad mini with cellular data I’d have to spend 20 bucks a month for that just to fly the drone and have GPS capabilities

Bummer!

I don’t know if I should regret my iPad mini purchase. There seems to be not many good android tablets that can fly or work with the DJI Fly app. And I’d have to spend $600 to get out of my phone contract to purchase a new android phone that would work. Or if I purchased an iPad mini with cellular data I’d have to spend 20 bucks a month for that just to fly the drone and have GPS capabilities

Or just get one of the bluetooth-connected external GPS units, such as a Bad Elf. Your iPad will connect to that and get very accurate GPS data.

If you have an iPad Mini with cell capability you DO NOT need a cell plan. I have a Mini 4 and use the hotspot from my cell phone to download the maps when on site. Once the maps are downloaded you can shut off the hotspot and everything will function as it should. If you move the remote control from the initial location - such as using Find My Drone - you need to activate the hotspot again and keep it on so your location can be updated as you move around.

No cell plan is needed for the iPad Mini with cell capability to work. In fact, you don't have to have a sim card in it. I did stick an old sim card in mine just to stop the popup telling me there was no card inserted.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Or just get one of the bluetooth-connected external GPS units, such as a Bad Elf.

Or the Garmin GLO 2 which generally gets good reviews and can be found for considerably less money the the Bad Elf products.

Reactions: sar104
Or if I purchased an iPad mini with cellular data I’d have to spend 20 bucks a month for that just to fly the drone and have GPS capabilities
Are you certain you need a tablet with GPS?
The drone has a perfectly good GPS receiver that it uses for flight functions and there's really very little you can do with the tablet GPS anyway.

About the only 3 things I can think of that you wouldn't get if you don't have GPS on your mobile device are:
  • Ability to quickly update your home point to where you are, if you've moved from the takeoff point. You can still manually update it by moving it on the map.
  • A sometimes functioning aircraft orientation indicator, though it's unclear exactly how this uses your mobile device GPS. It also needs reliable compass data from your mobile device to work. I don't use it as I know it is very unreliable for my setup.
  • Ability to see where you are, relative to a crashed drone, when using the "find my drone" feature.
I regularly fly with mobile device GPS (ie location services) off and have no issues. To me it's not a "problem" that warrants spending $100+ to fix.

Reactions: dawgpilot
So my google pixel 3 with android 11 will not open the DJI Fly app. So I bought an iPad mini and I’m waiting for a longer connection cable ordered through Amazon. If I tether my iPad mini using my Google pixel hotspot when I get GPS coordinates?
My new ipad mini seems to have a gps chip. I'm also completely new to Apple. Some aspects are driving me crazy. I figured I would put some music tracks on it - oh, NO, can't just attach a cable and drag stuff over. And itunes keeps giving me on error when trying to connect. I guess it will remain, more or less, a Mavic Mini controller, although I can now Facetime with my sister (g)

My new ipad mini seems to have a gps chip. I'm also completely new to Apple. Some aspects are driving me crazy. I figured I would put some music tracks on it - oh, NO, can't just attach a cable and drag stuff over. And itunes keeps giving me on error when trying to connect. I guess it will remain, more or less, a Mavic Mini controller, although I can now Facetime with my sister (g)

Welcome to the wonderful world of IOS! Like you, this was my first Apple device. It will also be my last IOS device. From a user standpoint, the popularity of there things is beyond me. My Mini iPad never sees the light of day other than flying although on numerous occasions I have considered seeing how many times I could get it to skip across the surface of a lake. I hesitate though as iTunes is probably needed for that too........

Last edited:
Reactions: ff22
And itunes keeps giving me on error when trying to connect.

Had the same problem with my new iPad. Try completely uninstalling iTunes (the Apple site explains how to do it without losing any music or backups you may have) and install again from scratch. It worked for me after doing this.

Reactions: ff22
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman