DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad Mini, iPad Pro

JJ4592

Reactions
Does anyone know if flying with an iPad is better , Worse or same as using an iPhone when flying Mav 2 Pro. I have an iPad sitting around , a little older and I thought it would be nice as a dedicated screen for the drone. Open to opinions

::edited::

Last edited:
Better than what?

I use an iPad Air 2, which I bought specifically for this. It's much better than using a phone (if that's what you mean), which for me is an iPhone 6+. I can't compare to a DJI Smart Controller or a DJI Crystal Sky, as I haven't used either.

The Air 9.7 in screen size is perfect there are quite a few monitor hoods for that size.

I have a larger / older iPad (3rd gen), but I think it would be too heavy/large for this use.

Chris

Better than what?

I use an iPad Air 2, which I bought specifically for this. It's much better than using a phone (if that's what you mean), which for me is an iPhone 6+. I can't compare to a DJI Smart Controller or a DJI Crystal Sky, as I haven't used either.

The Air 9.7 in screen size is perfect there are quite a few monitor hoods for that size.

I have a larger / older iPad (3rd gen), but I think it would be too heavy/large for this use.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I just saw that I didn’t add the iPhone part in. Thanks for the input

Its a matter of opinion. A larger screen is always nice, but they tend to be heavy and awkward depending on the mount you use. Also tablets tend to be dimmer than phones.
I have been using the Galaxy Tab A. I have recently gotten a hold of an iPad but haven't used it in the field yet.

I started a thread asking the same question a few months back which may be of use to you:

I started flying my Mavic 1 Pro using a 6.4in mobile phone (Sony Z Ultra) which worked well then when I went with the Mavic 2 Pro I used a newer phone with a smaller 5.7in screen (Samsung Galaxy Note 4). I found the small screen frustrating and decided on a dedicated device hence asking the question in the thread above initially planning a device that could fit directly onto the controller as I was less keen on the hassle of carrying around the extra tablet holder and having to set it up each time. However after reading the responses here I went with a larger 10in tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab S3) and tablet holder which initially felt a bit big and heavy but I've quickly come to like it and much prefer it to using a smaller device. The DJI Go interface packs in quite a lot of information and I find it useful having a good view of what the drone is seeing.

Although the tablet is large it's thin and I find I can pack it into the existing bags I use for the drone and the tablet holder collapses down to a flat design, after a bit of practice I can set it up without too much additional hassle.

That is just me personally though and I'm not saying it's the best solution for everyone, I can see the advantages in using a smaller device or a smart controller as well but the 10in tablet suits me.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engmarceloacs