DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IPad Mini vs Smart Controller

Ditto! Brighter display and quicker setup. Love the SC.

I added a FeelWorld 2200 nit monitor as well. All camera feed goes to the monitor while the SC screen displays normal telemetry. It works really well for me.
I finally bit the bullet and bought one open box on ebay for $179. Great set up and so bright, nothing else can compare and the screen is very light weight too. I bought a mount form a guy making them with 3D printing for $44.

Everyone mentions the cost for extra's in making the iPad Mini work.. the only things I needed was a cheap bracket for less than $10, plus the iPad as less than half the price of the Smart Controller. More importantly, the iPad mini does everything my iPhone does, but better. As for flying in direct sunlight, move to a shaded area to fly it from. Problem solved, and way more comfortable. But heck, all solutions work.
Many people fly in the mountains and there is no shade to be had in many mountain locations. Also when you may shade yourself under a tree, you can be blocking your signal so may get a disconnect, so that idea often does not work.

That assumes the iPad Mini is 100% dedicated to the Mavic otherwise that doesn't work since the smart controller cannot realistically be used as a standard tablet. I do like the idea of the smart controller but even putting aside the high price the screen is too small for me, I was using a 5.7in phone which I was finding too small and now I've changed to a 10in tablet I'm finding it much more useful.
Well yes, a larger screen is always better but there comes a point when the size outweighs the convenience, otherwise we would all be using 55 inch TV screens to fly with. A SC and Drone is manageable but when you get into a 10 inch screen, that is not very compact to carry around. Plus your 10 inch iPad screen will overheat in summer which the SC will not do.

I own both devices. I can say I fly 90% of the time with the SC because of the convenience, but when I need a screen recording the smart controller can not keep up. Sadly the smart controller has some limitations in performance when you want to multitask. When you try using the HDMI in a TV or monitor has a lag that does not allow you to fly FPV style confident because has about 1-2 seconds lag in the video transmission on the HDMI output, now the smart controller screen itself is ok unless you are screen recording that adds lag to the smart controller screen.

So I do not recommend using the screen recording feature in the smart controller. The smart controller screen resolution vs the iPad is superior. The iPad looks more pixelated and obviously, the smart controller is twice the nits and sustainable.

The iPad 5th gen is 500 nits but with the heat dime so badly to probably 150 nits.

This is my very honest opinion.

Everyone mentions the cost for extra's in making the iPad Mini work.. the only things I needed was a cheap bracket for less than $10, plus the iPad as less than half the price of the Smart Controller. More importantly, the iPad mini does everything my iPhone does, but better. As for flying in direct sunlight, move to a shaded area to fly it from. Problem solved, and way more comfortable. But heck, all solutions work.
Same with me... all it took was $280 for a new iPad Mini, a screen protector, and a cheap $9 bracket extender for the stock controller, and all is good. Haven't yet tested it in bright sun, but either way, it can't be any worse than my iPhone 6s which is what I am currently using. And I'm finding the iPad Mini is usefully in so many other things as well. Just like an iPhone but bigger.. :)

Same with me... all it took was $280 for a new iPad Mini, a screen protector, and a cheap $9 bracket extender for the stock controller, and all is good. Haven't yet tested it in bright sun, but either way, it can't be any worse than my iPhone 6s which is what I am currently using. And I'm finding the iPad Mini is usefully in so many other things as well. Just like an iPhone but bigger.. :)
Oh yeah the ipad is better when compared to using an iPhone 6s, I used to use a 6. However none of these can compare to using a smart controller and then even better when connecting that Feel World 7 inch 2,200 NITS monitor. I thought my iphone 6 was great until I experience something better, so it all depends on what you have as a budget and what you have been exposed to as far as bigger and brighter screens etc.

Reactions: zeusfl
Oh yeah the ipad is better when compared to using an iPhone 6s, I used to use a 6. However none of these can compare to using a smart controller and then even better when connecting that Feel World 7 inch 2,200 NITS monitor. I thought my iphone 6 was great until I experience something better, so it all depends on what you have as a budget and what you have been exposed to as far as bigger and brighter screens etc.
I didn't realize you could connect another device / monitor to the SC. Would it work with an iPad? As my biggest issue with the SC is the small screen size.

I didn't realize you could connect another device / monitor to the SC. Would it work with an iPad? As my biggest issue with the SC is the small screen size.
The S.C. has an HDMI out, so anything you can connect to via an HDMI, screen wise, you can do with the S.C. If you have not taken a look at that Feel World 22 NITS monitor set up, you should do so. It's the FW 279
Link:

But here is a link to info from others in this forum using it with photos.

Last edited:
The S.C. has an HDMI out, so anything you can connect to via an HDMI, screen wise, you can do with the S.C. If you have not taken a look at that Feel World 22 NITS monitor set up, you should do so.
Interesting... but how do you attach it? I love the current MA2 controller, as the iPad fits cleanly and snuggly above the control unit using a very simple extender. Which is outstanding. Yet, I didn't think the SC had a pull out phone/device bracket, which also doubles as an external antenna.

Interesting... but how do you attach it? I love the current MA2 controller, as the iPad fits cleanly and snuggly above the control unit using a very simple extender. Which is outstanding. Yet, I didn't think the SC had a pull out phone/device bracket, which also doubles as an external antenna.
It has screw holes that take a few different brackets. The expensive Lifthor from Scandinavia or the cheaper 3 D printed one I bought.

It has screw holes that take a few different brackets. The expensive Lifthor from Scandinavia or the cheaper 3 D printed one I bought.
Thanks for the info. Things to ponder, especially if after more time with the iPad Mini I decide to give the SC a try. Yet, doubtful that will happen as I like the size of the mini.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser