DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IPad Pro 11” or 12.9”

rhed6

Reactions
So my IPad 2 which I’ve had since 2012 finally died on me. Wife said that thing was old anyways and was time for a new one.
I don’t own a Mav yet, will soon though. My question is what screen size would be ideal for the rc? As a external monitor? I use reading glasses to read on the IPad. So, I’ll probably need to use my glasses operating too. Thanks in advance..

So my IPad 2 which I’ve had since 2012 finally died on me. Wife said that thing was old anyways and was time for a new one.
I don’t own a Mav yet, will soon though. My question is what screen size would be ideal for the rc? As a external monitor? I use reading glasses to read on the IPad. So, I’ll probably need to use my glasses operating too. Thanks in advance..

The iPad Mini 5 has a plenty big enough screen IMO and fits onto the DJI remote control without needing to use an adapter. Otherwise the entry level normal sized iPad is a good choice and is inexpensive.

I have every size iPad including both iPad Pro models (lots of children and we are always buying items from the Apple store) and I wouldn’t use anything other than the 12.9 version. Also get the 1TB version so you don’t have to worry about running out of space.

Reactions: rhed6
Do you need a new phone also? The Mini 5 might be as big as you want to go keeping comfort and functionality in mind.

I have the big Pro and it is the ducks nuts for pretty much everything but, form my perspective, would be ridiculous with the Mac 2 remote.

I have every size iPad including both iPad Pro models (lots of children and we are always buying items from the Apple store) and I wouldn’t use anything other than the 12.9 version. Also get the 1TB version so you don’t have to worry about running out of space.
You use the big pro to fly a Mavic?

Not as much need to get the 1tb version now that external SSD are natively supported.

My old IPad Air 2 was the 9.7 inch screen. So I guess the 11” pro will be just about right? 12.9” too big? I don’t want to get the mini, as I still need a IPad to replace my one that died. I dont think I can go down to a smaller screen.

Reactions: deleted member 877
My old IPad Air 2 was the 9.7 inch screen. So I guess the 11” pro will be just about right? 12.9” too big? I don’t want to get the mini, as I still need a IPad to replace my one that died. I dont think I can go down to a smaller screen.

At this point it really comes down to what best suits you. There are many different opinions in regard to what is the best size screen to use. Think about the weight of the iPad Pro 12.9" and whether or not that would be problematic.

I'm using the 1st generation iPad Pro (9.7") and found it a bit awkward at first but am now used to it. With the mount that I am using (PGYTech) I also found it disconcerting to not be able see the RC but am now used to that as well.

It definitely helps to be open minded and flexible because it's a challenge to find something that is 100% what you want.

what screen size would be ideal for the rc?
The iPad Mini 5 would be my choice. It's a good balance between size and weight.

Reactions: WAXMAN and rhed6
I just went from an IPad 10.5 to a 12.9. I also had purchase a new mavmount because the on for the 10.5 is too small. The new mavmount clamp isn’t working for me. It’s awkward because it only has a bottom screw mount. I have decided to not use it at all but rather use a 1 ft cable from controller to IPad. I set up a small folding table to work from so I can set the IPad on it. I’ll likely go back to a smaller IPad just for drone usage so I can move around as necessary during flight.

Reactions: WAXMAN and rhed6
I can't imagine holding a 12.9 in the field for a flight, just me. The 10.5 is heavy enough.

As for screen brightness, IMO the 600 nits is not enough to use in anywhere near bright normal daylight, so some form of a screen hood has to be used.

The DJIgo4 doesn't respect Apple retina resolution so the image on the screen is a bit soft, softer than when viewed on a Smart controller or Crystalsky. "respect" is a Apple developers term. Common problem with many Apple apps.

For me the solution is the Smart Controller, great size, screen is plenty bright, weight is a good balance, and the screen has much better overall sharpness than DJIgo4 on an Apple screen. The issues of iOS vs Android for me are moot. Great connection, less time to get setup and much better to carry on hikes in the field.

The new iPhone 11 Pro screen seems to work better outdoors in bright light. Not sure what the tech is in that screen, but I have seen two of them now in the field and you easily see the screen without a hood.

Paul C

The iPad Air 3 is a great size, fast processor and battery last for 10 hrs. It's 10.5 inches size.

I can't imagine holding a 12.9 in the field for a flight, just me. The 10.5 is heavy enough.

As for screen brightness, IMO the 600 nits is not enough to use in anywhere near bright normal daylight, so some form of a screen hood has to be used.

The DJIgo4 doesn't respect Apple retina resolution so the image on the screen is a bit soft, softer than when viewed on a Smart controller or Crystalsky. "respect" is a Apple developers term. Common problem with many Apple apps.

For me the solution is the Smart Controller, great size, screen is plenty bright, weight is a good balance, and the screen has much better overall sharpness than DJIgo4 on an Apple screen. The issues of iOS vs Android for me are moot. Great connection, less time to get setup and much better to carry on hikes in the field.

The new iPhone 11 Pro screen seems to work better outdoors in bright light. Not sure what the tech is in that screen, but I have seen two of them now in the field and you easily see the screen without a hood.

Paul C
I seen that M2P with SC bundle on BB website for 1779$. Was gonna pull the trigger on that. Is that SC screen the same tech as the Crystalsky? I was also looking at the 7.85 ultra but backed ordered at b&h or adoroma.

Paul C
If I go with the 12.9, is there some kind of neck strap accessory to hook on to the rc/iPad setup?

I'll put my two cents in here also (or should I say 2 tuppence?). I've been using my 6th generation iPad 32 GB (9 1/2 inches by 7 inches screen) since I got my Mavic Air June, 2018. Yesterday, I unboxed and calibrated my brand new Mavic 2 Pro !!! I opened the DJI-go4 app on the iPad and did all of the caiblrfations on the iPad screen. I love the big screen. Yes, I am presbyopic (old eyes) and I love the bis green. There is room for the histogram, and I can see everything better. I rarely use my iPhone X xs Max but ZI also made sure the Mavic 2 Pro was also calibrated with the phone too.

I was sure to buy the model with both wi-fi and cellular data. It stands on a Skyreat stand (Amazon) and we use it as a spare TV monitor in the bathroom when not using it for the drone. It was a major reason for me not to purchase the Smart Controller on the Black Friday sale. If you want a photo of the set up, let me know.

I was sure to buy the model with both wi-fi and cellular data. It stands on a Skyreat stand (Amazon) and we use it as a spare TV monitor in the bathroom when not using it for the drone. It was a major reason for me not to purchase the Smart Controller on the Black Friday sale. If you want a photo of the set up, let me know.

Yes - please post a photo of the set-up.

I'll put my two cents in here also (or should I say 2 tuppence?). I've been using my 6th generation iPad 32 GB (9 1/2 inches by 7 inches screen) since I got my Mavic Air June, 2018. Yesterday, I unboxed and calibrated my brand new Mavic 2 Pro !!! I opened the DJI-go4 app on the iPad and did all of the caiblrfations on the iPad screen. I love the big screen. Yes, I am presbyopic (old eyes) and I love the bis green. There is room for the histogram, and I can see everything better. I rarely use my iPhone X xs Max but ZI also made sure the Mavic 2 Pro was also calibrated with the phone too.

Hey Dale, yea if you chance if you don’t mind taking a photo of it. I’m still going back and fourth with what size to go with. As we’re heading over to BB after my wife’s done with her hair appointment. Also, BB has the M2P with SC for 1779$ or with just the RC for 1379$. Though, I don’t know if the SC screen will be big enough for me. (I use reading glasses)

Hey Dale, yea if you chance if you don’t mind taking a photo of it. I’m still going back and fourth with what size to go with. As we’re heading over to BB after my wife’s done with her hair appointment. Also, BB has the M2P with SC for 1779$ or with just the RC for 1379$. Though, I don’t know if the SC screen will be big enough for me. (I use reading glasses)
Sure- here are some images I just grabbed. Any questions? I'm here for you.

Attachments

• iPad-MavicPro RC-Skyreat-stand.jpg
    iPad-MavicPro RC-Skyreat-stand.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Pad-MavicPro RC-Skyreat-stand-2.jpg
    Pad-MavicPro RC-Skyreat-stand-2.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 30
Sure- here are some images I just grabbed. Any questions? I'm here for you.
I have had cataract surgery both eyes years ago. I need reading glasses. One of my eyes is focused for close objects on purpose (the introcular lens implant). I can totally fly my Mavic Air and my Mavic 2 Pro with this screen. I try not to wear my reading glasses because I have to switch to the sunglasses so often during the flight and especially while landing- hard to look up without sunglasses. I LOVE my iPad for flying. As I said, without considering the money I would not get the fancy controller even at the Black Friday price.

I have had cataract surgery both eyes years ago. I need reading glasses. One of my eyes is focused for close objects on purpose (the introcular lens implant). I can totally fly my Mavic Air and my Mavic 2 Pro with this screen. I try not to wear my reading glasses because I have to switch to the sunglasses so often during the flight and especially while landing- hard to look up without sunglasses. I LOVE my iPad for flying. As I said, without considering the money I would not get the fancy controller even at the Black Friday price.
Addendum- I wind the white Apple thunderbolt connector around the stem of the stand to keep it out of the way of my joysticks. I didn't do it for this grabbed photo for you. Also, If you're getting an iPad, I think it's better to spend more money to have both cellular and wi-fi although the cellular would probably not be enough to download an app, but it is certainly ok for Airmap, and other flying apps, weather apps. etc. It is nice to have the extra 9 1/2" inch screen to carry your tv programs around the house and stream with Comcast/Xfinity, like for shaving at the bathroom sink in the AM, etc. We use it 80% for the house and 20% for the drone. It all comes apart easily and can be put together in the field with a little patience. The Skyreat stand folds up into a flat plate.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones