DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad requirements

theflyingtexan

Reactions
I'm getting ready to purchase a Mavic 2 zoom and iPad mini. My question is do I need to get iPad with Wi-Fi and cellular? The iPad will be mainly used for drone.

I use either ipad pro or iphone 7 plus. Both without cellular service. I connect via usb cable to controllers and use my cell phone as a hotspot to provide wifi.

It’s my understanding that only the cellular iPads have GPS. I just bought one to use with my brand new Mavic. I plan to keep it free of non-Mavic-essential apps and/or media so as to keep its performance high. So far it’s working great.

Reactions: theflyingtexan
WiFi only does not have GPS. Though not absolutely necessary, it does help with Maps. I'd recommend the cellular. You don't have to have a service. Without service you simply won't have internet all the time.

hotspot connection provides very accurate map reading on both devices without cellular. Never had any problems. But go right ahead.

Reactions: MyDroneCMH
hotspot connection provides very accurate map reading on both devices without cellular. Never had any problems. But go right ahead.

I second that... I use hotspot to get my maps then turn off , other times I download maps before going out , I pad mini 4 WIFI all the way....
Here’s my setup with a sunshade I created and it’s angle totally keeps sun and light from reflecting on the screen ...
4817030A-C185-4528-81C3-5004F3DA48CE.jpeg082C0854-5347-4ABA-887C-B0FF976CBBBB.jpeg121F819A-8120-4CBB-AF66-ABF7DD2FF096.jpegA7766F62-8497-49EC-8925-CEA65C415A6C.jpeg

Last edited:
WiFi only does not have GPS. Though not absolutely necessary, it does help with Maps. I'd recommend the cellular. You don't have to have a service. Without service you simply won't have internet all the time.

That's mainly what I didn't want to do, buy another data plan since the iPads main purpose will be for flying.

I use either ipad pro or iphone 7 plus. Both without cellular service. I connect via usb cable to controllers and use my cell phone as a hotspot to provide wifi.

I'm a little confused about using hotspot. Are you using a totally separate device as hotspot, then connecting your iPad with djigo app to connect to this hotspot WiFi? I've never really used hotspot before. And how much difference will this actually make in the map. I've been using an iPhone 7 with my p3's and the maps seem to be fairly accurate.

If using a wifi only I pad, you have to use another device with internet accesss as a hot spot to connect I pad to, and like I stated you can also. Pre load your maps in the area you’ll be flying in before heading out to fly and no hot spot needed at all.... just touch and zoom and move map all around to show area you’ll be flying in, and once your out the maps already there in the go app...

I'm a little confused about using hotspot. Are you using a totally separate device as hotspot, then connecting your iPad with djigo app to connect to this hotspot WiFi? I've never really used hotspot before. And how much difference will this actually make in the map. I've been using an iPhone 7 with my p3's and the maps seem to be fairly accurate.

Yep. I connect Ipad to my Iphone via hotspot. That way my Ipad connected to intenet and shows precise map position.
My point is...Ipad with cellular cost more $$. Why wasting it when you can use your phone as hotspot with same result.
That being said there are always those remote places with "No Service". But in my case I ran into it only once 3200 feet up on a remote mountain. But I was able to fly there as well with litchi waypont mission.

Last edited:
Yep. I connect Ipad to my Iphone via hotspot. That way my Ipad connected to intenet and shows precise map position.
My point is...Ipad with cellular cost more $$. Why wasting it when you can use your phone as hotspot with same result.
That being said there are always those remote places with "No Service". But in my case I ran into it only once 3200 feet up on a remote mountain. But I was able to fly there as well with litchi waypont mission.

I really can't understand why some people in here are advocating to buy an iPad with cellular. Don't most people walk around with their phones always on them? So just use the phone as a WiFi hotspot and voila --- you get live maps while you're flying. Problem solved, and you just avoided another monthly bill for wireless service.

Thanks for all the great advice. I’ve ordered my new M2 zoom and will get iPad mini WiFi next. If I’m mainly using iPad for flying does memory size matter

Thanks for all the great advice. I’ve ordered my new M2 zoom and will get iPad mini WiFi next. If I’m mainly using iPad for flying does memory size matter

If you're getting the Mini 4 then all options come with 2GB RAM so there's nothing you can do about that. I would follow the good advice in here of using your Mini exclusively for flying your Mavic and removing all other apps so it runs clean and efficient.

I heard that only the Mini 4 with 128GB storage exists right now so unless you are buying a used one on Ebay, then you are getting a ton of storage if you buy a new one. That is always a good thing.

Don't forget to update to iOS 12 if the Mini 4 is not already at that version.

Enjoy the flights!

I really can't understand why some people in here are advocating to buy an iPad with cellular. Don't most people walk around with their phones always on them? So just use the phone as a WiFi hotspot and voila --- you get live maps while you're flying. Problem solved, and you just avoided another monthly bill for wireless service.
If I'm not mistaken without having cellular you will lose Gps.

I got the 4 with cell service just so I can use it for other things if needed. Better to have and not need it , than need it and not have it!
It’s also easier than using the phone for hotspots.

If I'm not mistaken without having cellular you will lose Gps.

Correct, GPS only on cellular version, you don’t need an active mobile contract to use GPS, they just don’t install the GPS hardware in the Wi-Fi version.

If I'm mainly using the iPad to fly would a 16 or 32GB unit work? Or should I go with more memory

32gb as a minimum, the 16gb version can end up full if iOS decides to send you an update.

I have a 16 GB iPad mini 4, and works with all my drones without issues.
It updates flawlessly also, and can be updated via pc in case of not enough free memory.
I use it only for flying, so there is always free space.

Correct, GPS only on cellular version, you don’t need an active mobile contract to use GPS, they just don’t install the GPS hardware in the Wi-Fi version.

Just bought an iPad mini 64gb with WiFi/cellular unlocked. So I should be able to fly using this with no problem. Will it need the Sim card?

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obanat