DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad vs Android Phone with controller?

NaweG

Reactions
Seem to have put an iPad in my Amazon basket and not noticed that it was still there when I hit checkout (of course I noticed when I got the email for the order and noticed the dollar amount!). Up till now have used my Samsung Galaxy S8+ which is convenient since it's always on me, but sometimes less so if I forget to turn off everything else. I'm going to be replacing the S8+ later this year with either a Note 10 or a Pixel 4 and had planned to then make it "drone only".

All that background so you know why I'm asking - is there any benefit to using an iPad over an Android Phone for your flights? My thinking is I'd like the additional viewing space, but it would be a bit more stuff to have to carry.

Ultimately trying to decide if I keep the iPad or not, and since this is the only thing I'd use it for...

Reactions: AusTrekie
Either will work. A dedicated device is optimal, but not required. It should have WiFi for best results. For the money you’re spending I’d recommend a CS or SC.

I understood a CS was a bit more than twice the price ($500 vs $250). Is it really that much better?

As for the smart controller, that's something I've thought about. Guess it's the same question, is the performance that much better than the usual controller and the Phone or Tablet? I love the idea of having just one device, but at $750...

Thanks!

I understood a CS was a bit more than twice the price ($500 vs $250). Is it really that much better?

As for the smart controller, that's something I've thought about. Guess it's the same question, is the performance that much better than the usual controller and the Phone or Tablet? I love the idea of having just one device, but at $750...

Thanks!
No, and some features are not yet implemented, plus the SC has a small screen.

I found a 6.4in phone a bit small for use with the Mavic so I went for a 9.7in Galaxy Tab S3 which I'm very pleased with. I don't find it too much of an issue to carry as any of my bags that take the Mavic will fit the tablet but it is more fiddly to set up to get the mount adapter in place and the controller/tablet is quite heavy for holding onto.

Reactions: strat1962
Seem to have put an iPad in my Amazon basket and not noticed that it was still there when I hit checkout (of course I noticed when I got the email for the order and noticed the dollar amount!). Up till now have used my Samsung Galaxy S8+ which is convenient since it's always on me, but sometimes less so if I forget to turn off everything else. I'm going to be replacing the S8+ later this year with either a Note 10 or a Pixel 4 and had planned to then make it "drone only".

All that background so you know why I'm asking - is there any benefit to using an iPad over an Android Phone for your flights? My thinking is I'd like the additional viewing space, but it would be a bit more stuff to have to carry.

Ultimately trying to decide if I keep the iPad or not, and since this is the only thing I'd use it for...
I have an Android phone but when flying my drones I have a dedicated iPad.
A 9.7 inch for my old eyes.
I keep the iPad in my small backpack along with my Mavic Air and Parrott Anafi so everything is together.

I've found the iPad mini to be a nice compromise between a phone and a full-size tablet. I also picked up a cheap refurbed i-pad pro 12.9' which is simply an amazing way to fly, but it's pretty bulky so it's not easy to schlep in a small bag like you can with a mini.

I use an Ipad 9.7 and it's a gift and a curse. Now anything small is very hard to see, I want to get a Crystalsky but I have to get the 7.8 just to see.

Either works, if your happy with the phone, spend your money elsewhere. If not then use it.

Personally I don't get on with iOS, never have, never will, but hey horses for courses I suppose.

As for the SC, the 1000nit screen wins hands down, without even thinking about it, and that's from someone that used to (and still does) fly my Air with an s10+ which has one of the best/brightest screens on a mobile device.

Your S8+ has 1000+ nit screen.... that lets you fly even in bright sunlight. There is no better screen to fly with on the market unless you purchase the expensive 2000nit crystal sky. You will be disappointed if you cut your nits in half which is everything else on the market (except the Samsung S8,9,10 series). A larger screen that you can't see is not an upgrade. (The Note 8 has the highest nit at 1200)

Reactions: tmtwomey
What I ended up doing (for now) is that I went ahead and sent back the iPad, but got a tablet holder for my controller. This allows me to use my S8+ without having to take it out of it’s case, and puts it up a bit closer to my face. However I was flying this morning on a route where I realized that having the iPad even if it were a little dimmer would have been useful as I was trying to fly toward an old bridge, and the screen on the S8+ made it difficult to pick out. I presume with an iPad that would have been MUCH easier.

I myself like the bigger screen as compared to my phone 8+ .
I fly mostly in the bush . So I’m near trees and branches many times and the bigger screen is helpful. Old eyes and over 30 years of welding bigger is better

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markshsv