DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad WITH cell capabilities......

If you use a cellular iPad model, it'll contain a GPS receiver. That GPS receiver is active even if you don't activate the cell service. With GPS on your mobile device, you can:
  • Reset the home point to your current location if you move away from the original home point after taking off
  • Use the Follow Me flight mode to make the aircraft follow the location of the mobile device
If you activate the cell service, you'll be able to use features in DJI GO that require an Internet connection. Without cell service, you could also create a hotspot on your mobile phone and connect the iPad to the phone's Wi-Fi network to share the Internet connection.

Don't need to do any of those things? Then you likely don't need a cellular iPad model.

Reactions: The Rolling Drones
Would be helpful if we knew what your goals are.

The iPad is certainly a good choice, but I’m an iOS person so I may be a bit biased. Mini4 or 5 is the way to go. Mini2 I have read is on the slow side because of the processor. Cell capability isn’t required, but it is a nice feature and will help later on the resale end.

Reactions: Prmath
I have a WiFi only iPad and a connected through att iPad. They both work great, my WiFi only runs through my iPhone on a hot spot. I usually have no problems, just takes the map a little longer to update on the WiFi only iPad running through my phone.

I received the new iPad Mini (5th Gen) ,256 GB, as a Father's Day present. It is dedicated to my drone flights (I still use my iPad Air 2 for everything else).
The Mini is WiFi only so . . . I tether the mini to my Samsung Note 8 via WiFi. Absolutely no problems. No need to spend the extra money if you have a reliable phone already. Plus you would also most likely incur additional monthly charges for the Mini if it were cellular.

I got the iPad Mini 5 about six weeks ago and got one with the cell service. I got it so I wouldn't have to pre-download the maps. Even though I don't use them that often, I wanted to be able to use them when I need them.

I also got the cell service so I could use the iPad for anything else I want to do, even when I'm away from Wi-Fi.

Yes, the cell option costs money, one time, up-front. After that, however, you can make the cell service cost almost zero. Instead of putting it on my family cell plan (which would have been expensive), I purchased a 3-month 5 GB plan from T-Mobile for $30. So, for $10/month I get plenty of data. I also have a free VOIP number and, using a free app, I bonded that to the iPad so I can now use it to make and receive regular phone calls. So, for $10/month I get a device that can do anything, anywhere, and which has its own phone number which can make or receive phone calls, even when away from Wi-Fi.

Oh yes, it is a great device to use with my Mavic 2 Pro.

Is there any advantage if choosing one for drone flying?
I use an iPad mini 4 with cellular capabilities(but no cell service) but Would have been just as happy with a WiFi only. You can preload maps before you leave home or use WiFi hotspot, but maps are not even needed for flying. I don’t ever use the follow me feature and have never reset the home point.All that said , if the price is close enough it can be nice to have If you ever want to use any of those features. I got a refurb cheap from GameStop.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d