DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPhone 6s Plus with DJI Fly 1.2.1

kjmasson

Reactions
Just picked up an iphone 6s plus. Tried it out with my MA2 but iphone keeps rebooting on me every minute or so.
I've seen others are using this version of iPhone... so I was wondering, if you're one of them, can you share your experience with the 6s Plus.
I realized the battery health says "Service Required", but I just figured I would always set it to charge from the controller.
Can't afford much else yet but wondering if putting a new battery in the phone for $65CAN would be worth it.
Anyone using a 6s Plus? Thoughts?

Is what I use as a phone and have used it to fly my Mini a few times
with no issues. Phone and app up to date . Mostly use iPad to fly with so .?‍♂️

These were known to have batteries going bad even after just a year or 2 and shutting down on you, there was even a discounted battery repair program as it was considered a defect. So by now after 5 years it's really not surprising.

Reactions: kjmasson
Thanks for your input.
Just did some more testing and realized the volume down button may have been pushed the entire time the phone was in the RC. I wonder if that was causing reboot issue the first time. I also will add the "Charge phone with Conroller" reminder to my Pre-Flight Check-List.

These were known to have batteries going bad even after just a year or 2 and shutting down on you, there was even a discounted battery repair program as it was considered a defect. So by now after 5 years it's really not surprising.
That’s news to me and have had mine awhile. Don’t fly with it but
occasionally . Works ok as just my phone.

I use a 6sPlus with no issues. I've just picked up a second one so that one of these can be dedicated to flying while the other can be free do to what smart phones are generally intended to do.

I also will add the "Charge phone with Conroller" reminder to my Pre-Flight Check-List.
That's not sufficient, the controller doesn't supply enough power to charge or even compensate what the phone draws, the battery will just deplete a bit slower. So it's not really a solution to a dead battery.

If you replace the aged battery in that 6, you may get another 2-3 years out of it... though somewhere along the line, you may want to consider a newer model for more processing power or memory, depending on the size of 6's storage.

And you could end up with a poor quality battery. I had my HTC 10 battery replaced twice. Original battery lasted more than 2 years. First replacement only 1 year. 2nd replacement 6 months. On 2nd replacement i was skeptical I was getting full rated capacity. Installed AccuBattery which supported my skepticism. Phone cuts out when low charge (like 30%) and sudden load.

The 6 was also known for faulty volume buttons, they would get stuck pressed in, had happen to a couple of my 6s’s when I had them, I actually have 1 left still working and my son uses it, I did replace that battery ( 6 was a cheap kinda simple diy battery change, many online tutorials) BUT atleast in the US just like the iPhone 5’s last year or year before, apple is starting to limit which updates will work for the 6 right now, and soon the 6S so you may have to upgrade eventually, on my 6 the basic model, first Non supported update was auto updated and affected the 6 gps system, so any app that used gps was a little wacky for a while, not sure if it fixed itself out as I switched my other ones to manual updates and I upgraded to the xr, but my sons 6S with auto updates OFF, still is working good so far but support for the 6 and app support may be on its last mile as they often do it to phase out older phones

My 6s has worked well. I also use it as backup with the aviation app Foreflight. It's been flawless in that regard in and out of the U.S. . Foreflight always does a check on new updates and gives a go ahead for use.
It will dim out under a load (Go4 and Fly ) in high outside air temps with my drone..never in aircraft... I'm pretty sure most iphones do that.

And you could end up with a poor quality battery. I had my HTC 10 battery replaced twice. Original battery lasted more than 2 years. First replacement only 1 year. 2nd replacement 6 months. On 2nd replacement i was skeptical I was getting full rated capacity. Installed AccuBattery which supported my skepticism. Phone cuts out when low charge (like 30%) and sudden load.
iPhone batteries are generally Apple Supplied, and installed by Apple vetted service centers. While it's always possible to get a bad one perhaps, it's far less likely IMHO. I've seen more stories about people trying to go the cheap route and then wind up with more than a battery problem.

Well I had my HTC replaced the first time by a professional. I didn't go back as he made mistakes in the attempt that he gave up and ended up refunding all my my money.

I used my 6s plus for some time flying my MA2. I did not have an issue with the battery and the only issue with the MA2 was that I had a worn lighting port on the phone and the connector for the RC controller kept loosing connection with the phone thereby cutting the live feed to the phone. Obviously did not impact controlling the quad but I would loose FPV. If I pushed on the connection it would reset.

Thanks for all the replies.
I gave the phone a 100% charge, put it in a case and took it out for a flight today in -3*C weather. After about 20 min of flying, there were zero issues with the phone. As well, battery only dropped to 83% (set to charge from controller).
This gives me hope in this iPhone 6s Plus venture. I really wanted to free up my main iPhone 7plus for pre-flight checklists and local manned aircraft monitoring. So far so good.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22