DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IPhone 6s without SIM will it work?

BigCat991

Reactions
Does anyone know if it’s possible to fly the Mavic Pro using an iPhone 6s without a SIM and attached as normal to the controller and running the DJi App? What features of the App would be missing assuming it works?

I’m thinking of getting a new iPhone X and keeping my 6s just to run DJi Go and fly the Mavic but I don’t want another phone contract so my 6s would not have a SIM installed as I would transfer it to the new iPhone.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to fly the Mavic Pro using an iPhone 6s without a SIM and attached as normal to the controller and running the DJi App?
Yes, it is possible.
What features of the App would be missing assuming it works?
If you wish to connect to the Internet, that's not possible. (It's the same as switching your phone to airplane mode)
However, you can setup a hotspot on your new IPhone X and connect the IPhone 6s.

Just remember: Do not forget to login one time to DJI servers before you have no Internet connection anymore on your IPhone 6s.

Reactions: linuxglobal
Yes, it is possible.

If you wish to connect to the Internet, that's not possible. (It's the same as switching your phone to airplane mode)
However, you can setup a hotspot on your new IPhone X and connect the IPhone 6s.

Just remember: Do not forget to login one time to DJI servers before you have no Internet connection anymore on your IPhone 6s.

Thanks, I asked DJI Support the same question and they told me that it would work but that Active Track would not work as it relies on the GPS signal. I think they meant that it needs location data from the iPhone connected to the mobile base station as the GPS function is already built into the iPhone. So with another iPhone connected in Tether mode I should have all the functionality. By the way the reason for the initial question is that DJi told me the iPhone X and iPhone 8 Plus are not supported by the DJi Go 4 App.

it relies on the GPS signal
Even if no SIM is installed or active, GPS is availble on your IPhone6s.
So all functions requiring GPS are fully operational.

I got my iPhone 6Plus to work without a sim card. I use wifi in my house to get my maps /using google Maps to for the satellite view and so far all is well. Love the 5.5" screen verses my Galaxy S5 . But its nice to have two cells that work with the MP.. If my battery gets to low I can fly while charging my Dedicated Cell for my MP. I did have to update to the latest software on my iphone to get a connection but once Mavic Pilots figured that out for me . Bingo !!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929