DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPhone screen dims after 10 minutes flying

rickmorton

Reactions
This is really frustrating. All is good, even in bright sun, when I start to fly. After 7-10 minutes flying, my screen goes so dim I can no longer see any image, menu selections, map, etc. I've read a number of posts elsewhere with Mavic and other DJI drones. Consensus seems to be something about the phones battery heating and dimming the screen to save power?? Why would the GoFly app be any different from any other app? Youtube doesn't dim the screen? This really makes it impossible to fly the drone. Thoughts??

This is really frustrating. All is good, even in bright sun, when I start to fly. After 7-10 minutes flying, my screen goes so dim I can no longer see any image, menu selections, map, etc. I've read a number of posts elsewhere with Mavic and other DJI drones. Consensus seems to be something about the phones battery heating and dimming the screen to save power?? Why would the GoFly app be any different from any other app? Youtube doesn't dim the screen? This really makes it impossible to fly the drone. Thoughts??
It gets dimmer or the phone locks and the screen shuts off? Which iPhone?

If the phone overheats it will dim the screen to prevent it from overheating. It shouldn’t turn completely off and lock the screen though and you have to get it really hot. That might be easy in the direct sun in Nevada. It doesn’t do this when you are inside watching YouTube because it’s not so hot in the house.

Try flying from within the shade or using a sunshade for the screen. If you have it in a case take it out of the case so it can dissipate heat easier

Interesting to read this post, as just today I noticed that my iPhone 6s Plus was getting unusually hot while I was flying the MA2. The screen didn't dim, but the phone was really hot. And then even more interesting was that I later flew my MM with my iPad Mini 2, and that too started getting unusually hot. I have used these 2 device with the MM prior to the DJI Fly apps upgrades (to accommodate the MA2), with no heat issues whatsoever, so I can only assume the updated app must be causing this.

It would be interesting to hear if others have noticed any heat issues with their devices while flying the MA2.

(On a good note, I do have an iPad Mini 5 on the way. I really hope this will sort out this and any other issues).

Interesting to read this post, as just today I noticed that my iPhone 6s Plus was getting unusually hot while I was flying the MA2. The screen didn't dim, but the phone was really hot. And then even more interesting was that I later flew my MM with my iPad Mini 2, and that too started getting unusually hot. I have used these 2 device with the MM prior to the DJI Fly apps upgrades (to accommodate the MA2), with no heat issues whatsoever, so I can only assume the updated app must be causing this.

It would be interesting to hear if others have noticed any heat issues with their devices while flying the MA2.

I just started having this problem in the last several days. I am using an iPhone X, DJI Fly app (MA2) and iOS 13.5.1 (Recently upgraded). Phone is very hot to the touch. I have killed all the apps except DJI Fly, and have the screen set to max brightness. Removed the thin cover too. I am sitting in the shade with the ambient temp about 85F. When it was in the high 70's, no problems.
When the screen goes to 50%, I have to hit return to home since I cannot see anything on the screen.
I was wondering if I could reduce the cpu usage by reducing some parameters. I am shooting video at 4K HDR.
It's just frustrating that I cannot fly my drone in hot weather. Maybe someone will sell a small fan that can mount on the RC.

Just noticed this a couple of days ago when flying the MA2 w/ my iPhone 8. After a while the screen goes really dark!
I have played w/ the setting of "auto brightness" in "Display and Textsize" (translated, sorry, have a German iPhone). Thought it helped putting this to off. But no, screen gets dark again today within flying the second battery on the MA2. Strange.
Did not check for heat on the phone, Will do next time. We had like 27°C today.

EDIT: Discovered this under Fly App 1.1.3 and since today also on 1.1.5.
I am on IOS 13.5.1. Maybe an iPhone thing??

Last edited by a moderator:
You might try to turn off video caching and reduce FPV quality to 720p in settings. These two things will definitely ramp up the cpu usage, which in turn makes the phone hotter, which in turn will eventually dim the screen to prevent damage to the phone.

Good hint. I'll try the lower resolution next time. I did not use Video caching from the beginning. Thanks.

I also found out today while using the MA2 just stationary if I download i.e. a bigger Hyperlapse from the drone down to my iPhone it gets hotter by just doing this...

I also found out today while using the MA2 just stationary if I download i.e. a bigger Hyperlapse from the drone down to my iPhone it gets hotter by just doing this...
Good observation - and this would be normal because the cpu is required when a transfer occurs from network (wifi, bluetooth, etc) to storage.

Yes, seems normal behavior - I was just thinking if one is downloading a file to the phone that this is adding heat to an internal sensor in the phone so that reducing screen brightness could be the consequence....
Just a thought...

I live in SW Florida which is typically 83-86 in May. I "upgraded" my M2P to the Air 2S. I am not certain the Fly app uses more CPU than the Go app but my iPhone 12 Pro screen is doing the heat-override-dimming-thing. Anyone having issues with the iPhone 12 Pro screen when flying? Yes, I fly in the middle of the day, in the sun and heat, over water, from a beach. I find this behavior normal for Florida, lol. I have been flying for over 10-years and never had this issue before. My auto dim is off, screen brightness is up to full, standard app settings, standard phone settings. I have made one change, however. I turned on the charge option from the controller to iPhone. Any thoughts for a solution that does not involve spending more money?

The charge option will increase the iPhone temperature - it’s normal for these batteries to get warm during charging.

I know this is an old thread but...
I just upgraded from a mini2 to a Mavic air 2 and had the EXACT same issue.

I did everything listed here and nothing helped. I ended up binding my mini 2 controller to the Mavic air 2 and NO dimming NO heating up of my phone.

I'm not sure if its the controller or cord. I will switch out the cord later and re test.

I experienced this for the first time 2 days ago (I've had an MA2 for about a year and used it with both an iPhone X and an iPhone 12, currently using the iPhone 12). Apparently, dimming the screen after several minutes in bright sunshine on a hot day with the brightness turned all the way up is a "feature" of iOS, not a bug. In other words, it is intentional. It's supposed to protect the phone and especially the screen. But I have to say it's very annoying. Pretty much have to land your drone and change some settings in order to carry on.

I experienced this for the first time 2 days ago (I've had an MA2 for about a year and used it with both an iPhone X and an iPhone 12, currently using the iPhone 12). Apparently, dimming the screen after several minutes in bright sunshine on a hot day with the brightness turned all the way up is a "feature" of iOS, not a bug. In other words, it is intentional. It's supposed to protect the phone and especially the screen. But I have to say it's very annoying. Pretty much have to land your drone and change some settings in order to carry on.
Use iOS devices where the ambient temperature is between 0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F)
I get the dimming totally, but what about the extreme heat from the back of the iPhone? I mean, we're only taking about mid 80s and the phone is scorching on the back as well as the screen being unusaleable because its soo dim (Use iOS devices where the ambient temperature is between 0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F) while the dji air2 is in ambient temp is less than (The operating temperature of this product is is 0 to 40 C)
So all in all its about 10-20 degrees below ambient temp in the shade and its still overheating.

its just weird because my mini2 controller can do all of this with no issues.

Not that a drone pilot need any more accessories in the kit, there are products available to help the over heating of the devices.

For the iPad minis.

For the phones.

These products may help or hinder your flight experience. ?

Reactions: Pocono mavic mini
I live in SW Florida which is typically 83-86 in May. I "upgraded" my M2P to the Air 2S. I am not certain the Fly app uses more CPU than the Go app but my iPhone 12 Pro screen is doing the heat-override-dimming-thing. Anyone having issues with the iPhone 12 Pro screen when flying? Yes, I fly in the middle of the day, in the sun and heat, over water, from a beach. I find this behavior normal for Florida, lol. I have been flying for over 10-years and never had this issue before. My auto dim is off, screen brightness is up to full, standard app settings, standard phone settings. I have made one change, however. I turned on the charge option from the controller to iPhone. Any thoughts for a solution that does not involve spending more money?
Just happened to me today with my iPhone 12 Pro Max. I live in upstate, NY, which is normally not that warm, but today it got up in the mid-80s. Very frustrating to all of the sudden not to be able to see the screen. I tried restarting my phone, but as soon as I plugged in the controller for Air 2S, the screen immediately dimmed. I'll try some of the other suggestions on this site, but I have to think something else could be done by DJI.

Hi guys, its Reggie, Same Thing happened to me yesterday Friday, 6August2021. I'm fly a (DJI Air 2S). Iv'e never had this happen before. I live in Gilroy California. It was 90 degree temps when flying. My iPhone-11 screen went dim, then I got a message on my iPhone-11 Screen saying: (iPhone Temp Too Hot). Then suddenly iPhone-11 screen went totally black/blank. Lucky my DJI Air 2S was within visual sight and landed. Does anybody know what the hell is causing this? iphone Temperature getting too Hot and iphone Screen getting Dim and going completely blank/black on screen.

Last edited:
Hi guys, its Reggie, Same Thing happened to me yesterday Friday, 6August2021. I'm fly a (DJI Air 2S). Iv'e never had this happen before. I live in Gilroy California. It was 90 degree temps when flying. My iphone screen went dim, then I got a message on my iPhone Screen saying: (iPhone Temp Too Hot). Then suddenly iPhone screen went totally black/blank. Lucky my DJI Air 2S was within visual sight and landed. Does anybody know what the hell is causing this? iphone Temperature getting too Hot and iphone Screen getting Dim and going completely blank/black on screen.
Heat. Just try keeping it in the shade and try to cool it when possible. Taking it out of the case helps

Reactions: Ranger#1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu