iPhone settings

JayTea26

Reactions
Just so I’m clear my understanding is that I should set my iPhone X to:

Wi-Fi off
Bluetooth off
Display setting to auto lock “never”
Phone volume setting high

With all this said, how does the map function work without Wi-Fi or Bluetooth?

Ahhhh, nope...Are you familiar with the term caching? Is this your first DJI? Watch this video...explains the technique. :)

Yes, my first DJI. Thank you for posting.

The important thing here to remember is after you have cached the map area, you cannot close the app or turn off your device.
This is the problem area for most of us. For example, if I’m flying up to the Arctic, I cannot leave my device on for the entire time it takes me to get there.
Dji needs to add a way for us to cache maps and store them offline.

Reactions: JayTea26
The video talks about a different app tan I’m using with my MA2.

But I did find the MA2 one. Thanks again for steering me in right direction.

Just so I’m clear my understanding is that I should set my iPhone X to:

Wi-Fi off
Bluetooth off
Display setting to auto lock “never”
Phone volume setting high

With all this said, how does the map function work without Wi-Fi or Bluetooth?
I have never turned off wifi or BT and never had an issue.
IMO it is a wives tale - but so be it.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I have an iPhone X. I turn off wifi, turn on “flight mode”, turn up phone volume to circa 75%. I leave Bluetooth on as I like to use my AirPods. Leave my Apple Watch on also. Works well for me.

I have an iPhone X. I turn off wifi, turn on “flight mode”, turn up phone volume to circa 75%. I leave Bluetooth on as I like to use my AirPods. Leave my Apple Watch on also. Works well for me.

I would caution you on the Apple Watch. It is known to cause issues with your Compass Cal. So when doing that I would take off the Apple watch. Beyond that safe to wear during flights. :)

Reactions: Squidinc
The important thing here to remember is after you have cached the map area, you cannot close the app or turn off your device.
This is the problem area for most of us. For example, if I’m flying up to the Arctic, I cannot leave my device on for the entire time it takes me to get there.
Dji needs to add a way for us to cache maps and store them offline.

I cannot comment on the FLY App but the Go 3 and Go 4 App retains the map on power off, the only way to get rid of the Cache is to Cache a new area. I was using a iPadPro however. I do use a SC now (Android based) for a M2Z and it retains the Map as well (Go 4). So not sure where the issue is with the Fly App (Android or Apple) and if they will update it to hold that data.

A work around if you have it is hotspot your primary phone to the secondary device you are using to fly with and cache maps on site, then turn off hotspot. Also I know quite a few people that use local free wifi hotspots. LIbrary, McDonalds.... Ect when they are close to getting to where they are going to be flying...If there is a will there is a way ;)

Last edited:
I cannot comment on the FLY App but the Go 3 and Go 4 App retains the map on power off, the only way to get rid of the Cache is to Cache a new area. I was using a iPadPro however. I do use a SC now (Android based) for a M2Z and it retains the Map as well (Go 4). So not sure where the issue is with the Fly App (Android or Apple) and if they will update it to hold that data.

A work around if you have it is hotspot your primary phone to the secondary device you are using to fly with and cache maps on site, then turn off hotspot. Also I know quite a few people that use local free wifi hotspots. LIbrary, McDonalds.... Ect when the are close to where they are flying...If there is a will there is a way ;)

There is no internet up in the Arctic Circle where I fly. From the time I land at a remote dirt strip to the time I leave a month later. Any other ideas?

There is no internet up in the Arctic Circle where I fly. From the time I land at a remote dirt strip to the time I leave a month later. Any other ideas?

Quite simply...Nope. It's pretty easy to understand that if you need WiFi and no WiFi is available your SOL. I guess that leads me to question why you would even need a Map for such a desolate area? Also at least when I was there, the temp is way outta spec to fly anyway. Again the Go 4 App had a offline Map available option, but that was based on cell signal and google maps which again your saying you don't have...guess one doesn't fly with maps up north?

Guess you and others in similar situations could keep requesting that DJI incorporate offline maps/Cache to the Fly App.

I guess add another to the list of one of many reasons I cancelled my MA2 order at presale after using due diligence and researching "issues" and idiosyncrasies of the Fly App and the MA2. I went back to and bought a M2Z for my aircraft update as it is a tested platform and checked all my boxes for what I needed, not wanted (Kinda like the new car fever thing) :). Something I learned 4 years ago with DJI, don't buy anything for at least a year. YMMV, But I did have high hopes for the MA2 out of the box, and it delivers for most of the owners, but you can't please everyone I guess ;)

I did "BlueNose" while aboard ship as a Marine crossing the Arctic Circle, beautiful up there and the "Northern Lights" are spectacular and something to behold.

Last edited:
Thank you. I also have been flying with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on and all seemed ok. I heard it should be turned off somewhere.

They only issue is you sometimes get the odd call or text but no issues with flying .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure