DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IPhone temperature causing dim screen with DJI fly

As annoying as that this might be, Apple included this feature to prevent damage to the iPhone.. Whether or not they torture tested devices to determine what will happen without reducing brightness and other load, this is not known, but Apple engineering probably has good reason for it working the way it does.

if they included a bypass, and you damaged the phone, how happy would you be then?

And for the hyperbole that you cannot fly, you may have to reduce flight time or find ways to shade your device effectively, but you can still fly.

Reactions: Ranger#1
Disabling phone charging fixed this for me. The other option that's worked is starting with a fully-charged phone. If all else fails, I've taken my phone out of the case which helped.

Also, getting out of direct sunlight is important. I don't have a sun shade, but I'll find a tree or something I can get under.

just checked, and with latest firmware update, the iphone charging option has re-appeared on my Air2S DJI Fly app. i'll assume same change with the mini2 recent update.
Here it is August 21 and I just saw this post. My iPhone 12 had been dimming so bad that I haven't flown for the past month. I fired my Air 2 up then looked for the charging option that has been missing -- and there it was! I ran out outside (about 80 degrees and standing in the sun), turned off the charging, took off and had no dimming problems at all. Thanks for noticing that the charging option had re-appeared, as I had about given up.

Noticed this too on my iPhone 12. I’m new to flying and I was thinking that my eyes were messing with me. It was like 15 minutes in until my screen dimmed in 77 degree weather in the sun, though I forgot to turn on airplane mode. Reading through these and I learned that it probably is overheating issues.

I got the Air 2S and it looks like I might have enough room to fit a slim ice pack behind the phone while it’s mounted on the controller. I miss my Galaxy S20+ because there were options to monitor temps so I would know that it’s a problem.

I’ll give it a try next time and see if it helps.

Possible fix/workaround for iPhone “overheating” problem is to put iPhone in “low power mode” + “do not disturb mode”.

Possible fix/workaround for iPhone “overheating” problem is to put iPhone in “low power mode” + “do not disturb mode”.
Possibly turning off video caching as well? Noticed this setting and figured out it just stores lower quality recordings and photos onto the phone.

Ever since I’ve had my Air 2S in March, after ~10 min flight time my iPhone 12 Pro screen will dim to the point where I cannot even see it. I am assuming it is because the phone is getting too hot so iOS is auto dimming the screen. When this occurs the brightness slider is all the way up but the screen is barely legible. Today this occurred again and a few minutes later the phone shut itself down with a temperature warning on the screen.

Has anyone else experienced this on a regular basis? It’s odd that this never once occurred when flying my Mini 2 but has happened every single time I took out my Air 2S. Not sure if the DJI Fly app is working more when connected to an Air 2S but it seems to generate more heat in the phone.

In any case, I’ll try to mitigate but pulling the case off the phone before flying. Also considering using my iPad instead since I have a tough time anyway with the phone screen when flying.

Considered the Smart Controller but don’t really want to drop all that money on an extra controller and I’ve read the battery life is pretty poor compared to the stock controller/phone combo.
A tablet made by Tripltek is your answer.
Super bright screen 1200 nit,that will not go dim on you.

I have almost the same thing with an IPad Mini, screen will dim out quite a bit. I never get the high temp shut down though. The screen dimming is troubling, no idea why it’s happening.
I'm having the same issue with my MM and iPad mini. Tabler getting hot, the fpv freezing every 3 seconds. I don't even want to purchase anymore DJI products until they fix this issue. Why purchase a drone that you cannot fly?

I'm having the same issue with my MM and iPad mini. Tabler getting hot, the fpv freezing every 3 seconds. I don't even want to purchase anymore DJI products until they fix this issue. Why purchase a drone that you cannot fly?
It's not a DJI issue,and there is nothing to fix because there is nothing wrong.The problem is the ipad mini.
I use a tablet made by Tripltek that is great,and is highly recommended.

Reactions: evtide
It's not a DJI issue,and there is nothing to fix because there is nothing wrong.The problem is the ipad mini.
I use a tablet made by Tripltek that is great,and is highly recommended.
Agreed that it's not a DJI issue. I ditched the Ipad Mini and picked up a Tripltek 8 Pro, very pleased with how bright the screen is, consistently. No need for a sunshade, and the battery on this thing lasts forever between charges.

It does depend on the environment your flying in as well, if its really warm already and your standing in sunlight with the device, it will probably fade, and it can depend on which model, older models that have to work harder to run fly can get warmer,

Many like the TripleTek and it maybe a good device, I just think its a little expensive.. but thats just me.

Agreed that it's not a DJI issue. I ditched the Ipad Mini and picked up a Tripltek 8 Pro, very pleased with how bright the screen is, consistently. No need for a sunshade, and the battery on this thing lasts forever between charges.
Great choice,I have the older Tripltek 7 Pro version which is doing a great job.
Have a great day.

It does depend on the environment your flying in as well, if its really warm already and your standing in sunlight with the device, it will probably fade, and it can depend on which model, older models that have to work harder to run fly can get warmer,

Many like the TripleTek and it maybe a good device, I just think its a little expensive.. but thats just me.
Your right about the cost,it has a nice bright screen that does not fade at all.plenty of guts to run whatever
you load on it.A little on the heavy and bulky side but works great.I had to think about it for a little while
before I shelled out what they wanted for it.

The Tripltek is bulky and it is well over the line price-wise, no getting around that. It's a pretty durable unit and I think it will be around long enough to justify the cost.

I staying at Penang Malaysia using iphone12 pro max. Same issue with dim issues. I was lucky enough to fly back on time as in middle of sea.... ^^ I think it start hitting up was due to the recoding running so phone requied more energy to processor and catch. I will try to disable and try it out. Besides, i was thinking purchase hp cooler to try it but not sure after hook up to controller still have any room to attach the cooler..

I staying at Penang Malaysia using iphone12 pro max. Same issue with dim issues. I was lucky enough to fly back on time as in middle of sea.... ^^ I think it start hitting up was due to the recoding running so phone requied more energy to processor and catch. I will try to disable and try it out. Besides, i was thinking purchase hp cooler to try it but not sure after hook up to controller still have any room to attach the cooler..
I just done the shooting..
1. I uncheck phone charging at controller.
2. SHutdown iphone for few sec then power up.
3. Turning on battery mode so that background apps not runing or in minimum.

It works for 1 battery. The phone a bit hit up but still ok temperature not super hot.

When I starting 2 battery, it still ok butunfortunately going to rain soon so I return the fligh.

Hope this help... BTW, I trying purchase the cooler pad...
not yet try. After arrive and install will update everyone.

I only got my Air2S 2 days ago.. the first thing I noticed was the video downlink freezing and stuttering with the drone only a few metres away from me, then I had my iPhone screen go Dim on me. The brightness slider was up full! I'm wondering if its something to do with the 'Charge Phone' option being On in the DJI Fly app settings. The downlink video problem cloud be another issue or some random and very strong interference?! It's raining here today so cannot go out in the bright sun to test.

As I said in the other thread - none of this is over heating (although the phone does get hot). Just have the controller charge your iPhone while you use it and it will stop dimming.

im having same issue with 12 pro max, screen dims after 5 ins and cant see a thing, first time out with my mini 2 as well, so gutted :(
Well known issue that's all about Apple doing temperature management of the phone. Only real solution is throw money at the problem:

1200 nits and doesn't dim when it gets warm.

Reactions: MA2 317
I know this won't work for everyone but I pre-chill the phone with a small gel pack you can freeze. If the phone does start to heat up, you can cool it back down almost instantly. If you need to, you can strap it to the phone in the controller cradle but I've never had to go that far, pre-chilling usually works fine.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi