DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ireland Adventure Day 8: Dingle Loop and Ring of Kerry (Mavic Air + Osmo Pocket)

BingErr

Reactions
Been back from Ireland for 2 weeks now and I forgot to post footage and pictures here. So here is my favorite day in Ireland. Drove the Dingle Loop and Ring of Kerry. Absolutely Beautiful scenic drives and fantastic weather.

Cracking scenery, photos, enjoyed the vid too;);)

Does make me laugh... why do people always “wave” when the cameras pointed at them, my wife always does that for some unknown reason??

Reactions: BingErr
Lovely footage, very well edited too. Was the Osmo Pocket hand-held in the car or do you use an accessory for it? I've recently developed an interest in the OP (plan to buy soon) and would like to use it to capture footage while driving but the accessories I've seen online just seem too clumsy or obtrusive when attached to the windscreen.

Lovely footage, very well edited too. Was the Osmo Pocket hand-held in the car or do you use an accessory for it? I've recently developed an interest in the OP (plan to buy soon) and would like to use it to capture footage while driving but the accessories I've seen online just seem too clumsy or obtrusive when attached to the windscreen.
All the handheld walking/hiking footage was filmed with the Osmo Pocket, but the car driving footage was filmed on the GoPro 5. Didn't feel good about strapping the Osmo Pocket to the windshield wiper, but had no problem mounting the GoPro there. I also didn't know if the wind from the car moving 60 mph would cause the gimbal to shake or move, but it's probably worth testing that out in the future. Thanks for watching!

Reactions: LazyBird
Did you manage both loops in one day? I remember all of the places on the Dingle loop, but you didn't include a shot of the religious statue on one of the corners which is a great overlook. Did, however, catch a sot of a seagull sitting on the wall at the edge of the road...
I recognize the stop at the top of the pass on the Kerry(?) loop where you can see the ring fort looking NE and the sea looking SW. We stopped there on a bus tour and there was an older man with a sheep and a baby lamb that were very talkative.
Are you using ND filters of any kind? I haven't had any experience with them.
I'm hoping that, without getting familiar with them, I can get some useful footage without them...

...favorite day in Ireland. Drove the Dingle Loop and Ring of Kerry.

Did you manage both loops in one day? I remember all of the places on the Dingle loop, but you didn't include a shot of the religious statue on one of the corners which is a great overlook. Did, however, catch a sot of a seagull sitting on the wall at the edge of the road...
I recognize the stop at the top of the pass on the Kerry(?) loop where you can see the ring fort looking NE and the sea looking SW. We stopped there on a bus tour and there was an older man with a sheep and a baby lamb that were very talkative.
Are you using ND filters of any kind? I haven't had any experience with them.
I'm hoping that, without getting familiar with them, I can get some useful footage without them...
We did both loops in one day because it was the second to last day and we were on a time crunch. We did not see the statue you mention. I feel that we could have spent WAY more time in this area.
I didn't use any ND filters, but some of my footage has a little stutter so I'm thinking I should have used ND filters, but I'm still not sure which filter to use and when to use it. I did buy some ND filters for the Mavic Air last year and I like that they screw on and are very secure without hindering the gimbal. But I haven't used them much, so didn't bring them on the trip.
Thanks for watching and commenting!

Where were you staying the day you did the loops? We'll be staying in Dingle two nights this trip and if we can do the Dingle loop and the half of the Kerry loop that runs through Killarney national park, that would be fantastic; it doesn't look that long on the map. We've stayed in Dingle before and also Kenmare, and Kinsale, which has the really awesome star shaped Charles Fort overlooking the entrance to the harbor

Where were you staying the day you did the loops? We'll be staying in Dingle two nights this trip and if we can do the Dingle loop and the half of the Kerry loop that runs through Killarney national park, that would be fantastic; it doesn't look that long on the map. We've stayed in Dingle before and also Kenmare, and Kinsale, which has the really awesome star shaped Charles Fort overlooking the entrance to the harbor
We stayed in Dingle the night before at the Dingle Harbour Lodge. Pretty nice hotel and breakfast was included since we booked through AirBnb. After we drove both loops we stayed in Killarney at Hotel Killarney because we wanted to be close to Ross Castle and the Muckross house. Hotel Killarney had really large rooms with a King size bed (more American Style), but the wifi was terrible. But they had a pool, hot tub, and sauna that was connected to the hotel which was nice. Also included breakfast. Through our whole trip we only stayed at 1 place that didn't have breakfast included. And most places served full Irish breakfast which would probably cost 15 euros per plate if purchased without hotel stay.

This will be our fourth Ireland trip, went on two with the John Byrne Band(PHL based Irish band), one by ourselves with me driving, and a CIE Northern tour after one of the band tours was over. BnB's are great and every hotel we've stayed in was great as well. Our next self driving tour is with one of my wife's friends who is in SCA. WE're going to do Dublin to Westport, Clare Island, to Galway, to Bunratty, to Dingle and back to Dublin with the idea that we might get a route that would attract some of her SCA friends who might like to go back in 2020. Also, our Irish band is planning a big trip to the west and NW of the land in 2020 if our own idea of agroup trip doesn't work out.

This will be our fourth Ireland trip, went on two with the John Byrne Band(PHL based Irish band), one by ourselves with me driving, and a CIE Northern tour after one of the band tours was over. BnB's are great and every hotel we've stayed in was great as well. Our next self driving tour is with one of my wife's friends who is in SCA. WE're going to do Dublin to Westport, Clare Island, to Galway, to Bunratty, to Dingle and back to Dublin with the idea that we might get a route that would attract some of her SCA friends who might like to go back in 2020. Also, our Irish band is planning a big trip to the west and NW of the land in 2020 if our own idea of agroup trip doesn't work out.
Very cool. Since you're going to Westport our favorite hotel on the trip was at the Westport Plaza Hotel. For under $100 it was very fancy, parking included, large soft beds with lots of amenities in the room. Fast internet and very upscale breakfast included. Hot tub and pool included but it was across the courtyard, which was fine.

we're booked at Knockranny House Hotel. Then we travel to Capnagower, and take a ferry to Clare Island. My wife is a historical reenactor who portrays Grace O'Malley, the Irish Pirate Queen. She gets to do her one woman show at the community center on Clare Island, within sight of Grace's Castle Rockfleet. I don't know whether she's more excited todo it than I am to witness her performance! She, my wife, and , Grace O'Malley, are remarkable women!

Reactions: BingErr
we're booked at Knockranny House Hotel. Then we travel to Capnagower, and take a ferry to Clare Island. My wife is a historical reenactor who portrays Grace O'Malley, the Irish Pirate Queen. She gets to do her one woman show at the community center on Clare Island, within sight of Grace's Castle Rockfleet. I don't know whether she's more excited todo it than I am to witness her performance! She, my wife, and , Grace O'Malley, are remarkable women!
Very neat. Didn't know there were Irish women pirates. Side note: Have you read "The Last Kingdom" series by Bernard Cornwell. Probably one of my favorite book series with lots of Viking pirates and a fantastic Irish character by the name of Finan. Def worth a read if you like 11th century British history.

There was only one woman, Irish pirate. Her story is awesome; she was a contemporary of Queen Elizabeth of England. She once traveled from Ireland to London to petition the queen to release her brother and her son from their captivity in the tower of London.
There was a communication problem, Grace spoke Gaelic, the Queen spoke English, but they soon realized they both spoke Latin. Much to the chagrin of the Queen's advisors, who had bad-mouthed Grace to the Queen prior to the meeting, the ladies, both in their 50's at the time, discussed the issue in Latin, managed to work out their differences and the brother and Grace's son were freed. Grace returned to her life in Ireland and the Queen and she both passed on into history in 1603.

Been back from Ireland for 2 weeks now and I forgot to post footage and pictures here. So here is my favorite day in Ireland. Drove the Dingle Loop and Ring of Kerry. Absolutely Beautiful scenic drives and fantastic weather.

Hello! Beautiful footage! I had a question for you and hope can reply to give me a pointer or two as to where I can launch my drone legally. I am registered with the IAA and sticker is affixed to my Mavic Air. I am visiting the Ring of Kerry tomorrow (Monday July 22nd).

Hello! Beautiful footage! I had a question for you and hope can reply to give me a pointer or two as to where I can launch my drone legally. I am registered with the IAA and sticker is affixed to my Mavic Air. I am visiting the Ring of Kerry tomorrow (Monday July 22nd).
Looks like I'm tooo late, but if anyone else is wondering I mostly launched from parking lots and rest areas

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute