DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic Air battery at 0% for 8/9 days

BP_91

Reactions
Hi all,

As the title reads, this is a real simple question.

Recently (last Sunday - 6th Jan) I had a fly across Europe and had to completely discharge and drain all three of my Mavic Air batteries to 0%, as per the manual protocol. This being an evening flight, I stored all my packing away (mavic) and now having gone immediately back to work on Monday 7th, I have just go to the end of my working week and realised I haven't put the batteries back on charge like I planned (it's been a loooong week at work and I forgot). Here's the kicker, today (Friday 11th) I am going away again and won't be able to recharge said batteries until next Monday (14th).

So, all in all I will have left the Mavic Air batteries at 0% for approx. 8/9 days. My question is, to what extent I should be concerned about this and any potential damage?

I should note, these are brand new batteries and have only had about 6 flights. And yes, I have read the manual regarding battery and LiPo care.... but I didn't read much about the 0% and hibernation mode for "long" (whatever that is defined as) periods of time.

I'm just seeking some clarity.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
So, all in all I will have left the Mavic Air batteries at 0% for approx. 8/9 days. My question is, to what extent I should be concerned about this and any potential damage?
They will likely be fine. It would be best not to do this again in the future.

I don't think any airline in the world requires batteries to be fully depleted before boarding. And I'm not sure why DJI recommends that in the manual. It would be best to ignore that suggestion until the day it's required by airlines (which will probably never happen).

They will likely be fine. It would be best not to do this again in the future.

I don't think any airline in the world requires batteries to be fully depleted before boarding. And I'm not sure why DJI recommends that in the manual. It would be best to ignore that suggestion until the day it's required by airlines (which will probably never happen).

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

It is odd, but I’ve been flying a lot recently and have notice that there is some fluctuation per airline, however it is far and few between.

Their website doesn't say fully discharge to 0%. It say 5%, thought it's not that much different. DJI Battery Care
I discharge mine to 20% before taking on the plane.
Only way to find out is to take a precaution when you take your next few flights with those batteries.

Their website doesn't say fully discharge to 0%. It say 5%, thought it's not that much different. DJI Battery Care
I discharge mine to 20% before taking on the plane.
Only way to find out is to take a precaution when you take your next few flights with those batteries.

Strange! They need to update their manuals.

Thanks for pointing this out.

I second what @RayOZ said. "I discharge mine to 20% before taking on the plane. Only way to find out is to take a precaution when you take your next few flights with those batteries."

If you were able to actually get them down to 0% and they stayed or will stay at 0% for a while, be careful when using them in the future. Lipos can tolerate being temporarily taken down to 3.1 or 3.2 volts per cell under load, which is what 0% might actually translate into. However, they will need to be charged back up to storage level of 28-40% immediately to prevent permanent damage. If left for more than a day or two at 3.2 or lower, you risk permanent damage to the battery. During that time, if even one cell drops below 3.2 volts, the whole battery could be destroyed.

My suggestion on each of your batteries is to charge them back up to 100%, hover them near and low until they are down to 30%, recharge and repeat 1 time. I wouldnt fly them until youre sure they are dependable.

I thought I had seen somewhere (one of the yourtube drone channels) that while the battery may show 0% it actually has a built in failsafe reserve meaning you don't actually get it to a true 0% the smart battery reports 0 but actually holds a small %.

I thought I had seen somewhere (one of the yourtube drone channels) that while the battery may show 0% it actually has a built in failsafe reserve meaning you don't actually get it to a true 0% the smart battery reports 0 but actually holds a small %.
I was wondering the same thing. OP, how were the batteries drained? If by flying/hovering then they are not really 0% but where Go 4 and the battery firmware will no longer allow it to fly. If so, then it should be fine to leave at this level for 8 or 9 days.

Yes it holds a small percentage which could be 1 volt per cell or 2 V per cell but you won't know that because the drone won't start and you can't check it.

All it takes is one time of running out of battery or mid flight power failure for some people to realize that it's just bad policy to run or store the battery any lower than 20%.

I'm not trying to admonish anyone here but I've gotten enough repairs from people that crashed due to low battery that wouldn't let them make it back home. I learned many years ago to respect the battery almost more than anything else on the drone.

I think this is where I saw the battery comment about reserve charge. I could be wrong but I don't have time to watch the video at the moment to confirm

Please delete if posting a channel is against the rules

DroneValley YouTube channel -

Mavic Pro Battery - Proper Care & Feeding

By 0% I'm sure OP is referring to the app measurement. At the start of 0%, batt voltage is at safe 'bottom' level with a reserve. I say "start of 0%" because you can still keep it on, still draining power to lower voltages with it showing 0%

DJI 0% is probably 10% lipo usable capacity. Still, not a good place to leave it for more than a day.

Airlines tend to prefer 30% but few, if even any, are really concerned about SoC.
To boot, these aren't loose lipos. They are self contained with a power switch that is nearly impossible to get accidentally turned on. Not any different than your phone or laptop.

It's seems like many of the contributors to this thread include seasoned and pro drone pilots. Any information I'm providing is meant for newby's and amateur drone pilots who just aren't sure about the right way to use and/or store their batteries. To them I apply the theory of KISS and it keeps them out of trouble. For them there is no need to drain the batteries lower than storage charge of 25 - 30% on any occasion.

I have owned full scale motorcycles, airplanes, boats, and drones. Pushing the limits or misjudging the reserve of the fuel or energy capacity of any of these vehicles is never a good idea because the guages are inaccurate.

Reactions: JDawg
I was wondering the same thing. OP, how were the batteries drained? If by flying/hovering then they are not really 0% but where Go 4 and the battery firmware will no longer allow it to fly. If so, then it should be fine to leave at this level for 8 or 9 days.

I used the battery adapter to turn it into a power bank and just charged my phone and iPad. For one of them I got it down to 15% and then it just discharged to show no LED when pressing the button- so I assumed went to 0%.

just a ? how do you show TSA the battery level (have to boot up the drone with each battery??)

Maybe press the button to show no LED lighting up and they’ll assume it’s discharged??

By 0% I'm sure OP is referring to the app measurement. At the start of 0%, batt voltage is at safe 'bottom' level with a reserve. I say "start of 0%" because you can still keep it on, still draining power to lower voltages with it showing 0%

DJI 0% is probably 10% lipo usable capacity. Still, not a good place to leave it for more than a day.

Airlines tend to prefer 30% but few, if even any, are really concerned about SoC.
To boot, these aren't loose lipos. They are self contained with a power switch that is nearly impossible to get accidentally turned on. Not any different than your phone or laptop.

The way I judged it was the LED indicators on the back of the battery, not via flying or the app. So when no green lights showed I assumed it was totally discharged.

I lost my MAVIC AIR but luck enough for someone to find it within 15 minutes of it landing. Had my phone number on it and the next day I got a phone call saying the drone had been found. Collected the drone, came home and when I went to recharge battery it would not charge. When checking the charge no green LED showed so I assume battery had 0 charge. Time from loosing drone to trying to recharge was about 20 hours.Tried several times to charge but no luck. I am frightened to let a battery get so low. Have now disposed the battery.

Yes it holds a small percentage which could be 1 volt per cell or 2 V per cell but you won't know that because the drone won't start and you can't check

I hate to disagree with Thunderdrones but I have been using lipos in RC planes and helicopters for years and have done a lot of studying up on them. If you take a lipo down to or past 2 volts, the battery is garbage. While you may be able to force a charge the IR (internal resistance) of the individual cells will go way up and will likely vary from cell to cell. It will therefore be hard to impossible to balance the voltage of the individual cells while charging and they will discharge at different rates.

I have accidentally discharged lipos down to a bit over 2 volts and despite my best efforts including individually charging each cell back to full capacity they never worked right again.

Reactions: vanderzyde0
I hate to disagree with Thunderdrones but I have been using lipos in RC planes and helicopters for years and have done a lot of studying up on them. If you take a lipo down to or past 2 volts, the battery is garbage. While you may be able to force a charge the IR (internal resistance) of the individual cells will go way up and will likely vary from cell to cell. It will therefore be hard to impossible to balance the voltage of the individual cells while charging and they will discharge at different rates.

I have accidentally discharged lipos down to a bit over 2 volts and despite my best efforts including individually charging each cell back to full capacity they never worked right again.

Au contraire, mon ami. Youre not disagreeing with me, youre actualy bolstering my position.

I was just trying to say, and thank you for explaining it more fully, that anything below 3.2 volts per cell is dangerous ground for a lipo. Under certain conditions, such as a temporary load, it is ok to "dip" below 3.2, but there is a risk of permanent damage.

So, @Jackcutrone I agree with you. Those of us who were pampering our Lipos before DJI came along, are more prone to use our common sense and experience. We respect our Lipos, and we are more hesitant to push the lower limits of the battery than those who cut their teeth with intelligent circuitry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jackcutrone
So exactly how do you show the battery is discharged to the TSA? I carry LiPos as flashlight batteries on planes all the time and just the opposite is what they want to see - they ask me to turn on the light to prove it is a real battery. Also just a few years back they would make you turn your laptop and tablet ON to prove it was not a bomb. The only way to really make a LiPo “safe” is to fully discharge it to zero volts using a salt water solution. As long as there is voltage in the battery there is risk of fire. The fires are caused by internal short circuits.

Here is more than you will want to know about LiPos-

A Guide to Understanding LiPo Batteries — Roger's Hobby Center

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan