DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is 10-bit video overkill for indoor gym video work?

WildcatDave

Reactions
I will be shooting some gyms and was wondering if the lighting inside will benefit from 10bit vs 8bit. From watching their existing videos (see attached) I don't see that level of dynamic range or gradients that will make it necessary. EDIT: my understanding after research is that 10bit DOES NOT increase dynamic range, just colors per channel (from this video at around 3:20 (
) I will be reproducing similar videos as they have remodeled some locations. I guess my own answer would be: "why wouldn't you shoot in 10bit if you have the capability?" Well, I'm not very versed in video editing - just now moving from a 5 year old version of PowerDirector to Resolve this week. So my abilities are very basic in regards to color grading etc. I only have basic skills at building timeline clips and adjusting simple settings (shadows/highlights/contrast/etc.) I know with 10bit D-Cinelike you have a very basic flat format with which to adjust as desired. I have been shooting ground based cameras (photo only) RAW for years and am very versed in getting the most out of those 14bit RAW files (Lightroom & Photoshop). But I don't want to struggle to produce excellent quality videos for the client, especially since I will be new to Resolve. Would I be better served sticking with a "standard" profile?

There is another thread where I asked about flying the drone indoors, as some of their existing footage was done this way, and they requested this. Here it is for reference: Client needs indoor drone video, would the Air 3 extra sensors help over the 2s?
They are actually happy with the work the previous person did, but I am doing all of their photo and virtual tours, so they would like to have me do everything. Hence the rush to get up to speed with Resolve and video work.

For reference: I currently have an Air 2 that is getting replaced by a Mini 3 Pro. And I am also likely ordering a Mavic 3 in the next few days. This depends on the quality of output from the Mini 3 as compared to my old Air 2. I know the Mavic 3 will have cleaner files (shadow noise, etc.), but if the Mini 3 is a big enough step up from the Air 2 I may hold off getting a Mavic 3.

Opinions....

Last edited:
Reactions: wesleydk
I will be shooting some gyms and was wondering if the lighting inside will benefit from 10bit vs 8bit. From watching their existing videos (see attached) I don't see that level of dynamic range or gradients that will make it necessary. EDIT: my understanding after research is that 10bit DOES NOT increase dynamic range, just colors per channel (from this video at around 3:20 (
) I will be reproducing similar videos as they have remodeled some locations. I guess my own answer would be: "why wouldn't you shoot in 10bit if you have the capability?" Well, I'm not very versed in video editing - just now moving from a 5 year old version of PowerDirector to Resolve this week. So my abilities are very basic in regards to color grading etc. I only have basic skills at building timeline clips and adjusting simple settings (shadows/highlights/contrast/etc.) I know with 10bit D-Cinelike you have a very basic flat format with which to adjust as desired. I have been shooting ground based cameras (photo only) RAW for years and am very versed in getting the most out of those 14bit RAW files (Lightroom & Photoshop). But I don't want to struggle to produce excellent quality videos for the client, especially since I will be new to Resolve. Would I be better served sticking with a "standard" profile?

There is another thread where I asked about flying the drone indoors, as some of their existing footage was done this way, and they requested this. Here it is for reference: Client needs indoor drone video, would the Air 3 extra sensors help over the 2s?
They are actually happy with the work the previous person did, but I am doing all of their photo and virtual tours, so they would like to have me do everything. Hence the rush to get up to speed with Resolve and video work.

For reference: I currently have an Air 2 that is getting replaced by a Mini 3 Pro. And I am also likely ordering a Mavic 3 in the next few days. This depends on the quality of output from the Mini 3 as compared to my old Air 2. I know the Mavic 3 will have cleaner files (shadow noise, etc.), but if the Mini 3 is a big enough step up from the Air 2 I may hold off getting a Mavic 3.

Opinions....

It helps tremendously. 10 bit IS related to dynamic range in that it enables log and HDR recording so while simply recording in 10 bit doesn’t increase dynamic range it sure helps a ton in making the best use of the camera’s dynamic range.

D-Cinelike on the Mini 3 is 10 bit and it would t worry too much about being able to manipulate it. It’s not log it’s just kinda like the Adobe Neutral profile in Lightroom, a little flat and a little desaturated. Shouldnt be a big deal to manipulate for someone with experience editing photos in Lightroom.

Let me know if you have any questions about resolve. Once you get the basic premise down you can make it as easy or as complicated as you want to make it.

10 bit information is mostly useful to avoid banding with images/video where major corrections are creating noticeable banding.

Reactions: WildcatDave
It helps tremendously. 10 bit IS related to dynamic range in that it enables log and HDR recording so while simply recording in 10 bit doesn’t increase dynamic range it sure helps a ton in making the best use of the camera’s dynamic range.

D-Cinelike on the Mini 3 is 10 bit and it would t worry too much about being able to manipulate it. It’s not log it’s just kinda like the Adobe Neutral profile in Lightroom, a little flat and a little desaturated. Shouldnt be a big deal to manipulate for someone with experience editing photos in Lightroom.

Let me know if you have any questions about resolve. Once you get the basic premise down you can make it as easy or as complicated as you want to make it.
Thanks I just watched that video. 10-bit all the way!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803