DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is 1080p my best choice...

daisy-girl

Reactions
... in light of the fact that my HD monitor is only 1080p?

What is the highest recommended FPS at 1080p when the goal is some slow-mo in the final edit?

Thank you.

What is the highest recommended FPS at 1080p when the goal is some slow-mo in the final edit?

Thank you.
Howdy from Wyoming daisy-girl, welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here. I have not heard great things about the 1080p mode, you can shoot in 4k and still watch it on your monitor, it will just be downgraded.

The Mavic's camera has a flaw that makes footage shot in 1080p at 60 fps pretty ugly. The Platinum supposedly fixed this flaw, but I haven't read any definitive reports on that.

Regardless of what your monitor is capable of I would shoot in 4k, or at least 2.7k. The next time you buy a TV it will probably be 4k --- above a certain size it's difficult to find anything but 4k --- and it's good to future-proof. Shooting at higher resolutions also gives you wiggle room in editing to zoom in, straighten and recompose shots without losing quality if you export it at 1080p.

Yeah, the aliasing in 1080p is pretty bad even with the 60 fps. Unfortunately 2.7k or 4k image quality is much better (even on lower resolution monitors) but only gives you 30 fps max.

Although not ideal for slo-mo, I've gotten some pretty good results using 30 fps, when not overdone.

Keep in mind that rapid panning or linear movement does not lend itself to cinematic footage, especially when shooting at slower shutter speeds.

Last edited:
Prety good slowmo at 720p @120 fps... 60fps will do only 2.5x slower speed, 120fps is almost 5x slower speed (when watching on TV that plays @25fps)...

Thank you.

You might regret it a couple of years down the road not shooting in 4K, the level of detail is amazing. Think future, not present.

Reactions: hryzec
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motiongraphics50