DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IS 16 GB ENOUGH STORAGE FOR MP TABLET?

sorcerer13

Reactions
Just a quick question on storage capacity for tablets. I was going to pick up an ipad mini and wondering if 32 or 64 GB necessary for problem free flying? I will be transferring the flight videos to my harddrive once I get home. THANKS.

Hello, I have been using an iPad mini 4 with 16 gb of storage for someone now. It works just fine as your video and or picture files are all stored on the micro SD card in the drone itself. Hope this helps you out.

Using an iPad Mini 4, 16gb. Works great, the only video kept on the iPad is what you cache, the rest is on the SD card in the Magic. You can choose the size of video you want to cache on the iPad in the DJI GO App 4.

Good to know,thanks for the quick response. Is it worth it to get a cellular ipad? I'll be flying from one spot most of the time.

Without the "cellular" iPad you also don't have GPS, without GPS you don't have Follow Me mode.
Apple, in their infinite wisdom, decided to integrate GPS unit into the same chip as cell communications. No comms - no GPS.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

For clarification; Your Mavic does not lose its GPS capability. Its the GPS positioning of the Remote.

You basically only lose "Follow Me" and the ability to "reset your home point" if you move to a new location after take-off and want to set a home point to a new location. For example your Mavic is following you in your car, and you are now some distance from your start point and RTH is initiated (whether manually or low battery, etc), it will return to its ORIGINAL starting point.

Personally, I've always bought the Ipads with Cellular, just makes it more simple. However, even with Cellular, if its not activated, and there is no nearby Wifi, the mini map doesn't display any map details.

I "believe" if you tether your Ipad to your Iphone you do get GPS... Someone else can verify...

My only suggestion is to buy the most powerful Ipad you can easily afford. While the Ipad Mini 2 works, it does seem to "glitch" every now and then. It never crashes, but sometime I'd get partial screen refresh (momentarily), partial green screen, or occasional screen freeze. It is improved if you follow that guideline elsewhere in this forum where you turn off some Ipad functionality.

I have zero issues with an; Ipad Air 2, Ipad Mini 4, and Ipad Pro...

As others have stated 16gig is enough if you only keep a few apps on it. My Ipad Air 2 has only the basic apps that comes with the Ipad, DJI GO, DJI GO 4, and a few drone weather apps. My Ipad Mini 4 is a 128 gig and I have a bunch of stuff on there and it works fine. I just close all apps that I'm not using when I fly...

Without the "cellular" iPad you also don't have GPS, without GPS you don't have Follow Me mode.
Apple, in their infinite wisdom, decided to integrate GPS unit into the same chip as cell communications. No comms - no GPS.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: kika
For clarification; Your Mavic does not lose its GPS capability. Its the GPS positioning of the Remote.

You basically only lose "Follow Me" and the ability to "reset your home point" if you move to a new location after take-off and want to set a home point to a new location. For example your Mavic is following you in your car, and you are now some distance from your start point and RTH is initiated (whether manually or low battery, etc), it will return to its ORIGINAL starting point.

Personally, I've always bought the Ipads with Cellular, just makes it more simple. However, even with Cellular, if its not activated, and there is no nearby Wifi, the mini map doesn't display any map details.

I "believe" if you tether your Ipad to your Iphone you do get GPS... Someone else can verify...

My only suggestion is to buy the most powerful Ipad you can easily afford. While the Ipad Mini 2 works, it does seem to "glitch" every now and then. It never crashes, but sometime I'd get partial screen refresh (momentarily), partial green screen, or occasional screen freeze. It is improved if you follow that guideline elsewhere in this forum where you turn off some Ipad functionality.

I have zero issues with an; Ipad Air 2, Ipad Mini 4, and Ipad Pro...

As others have stated 16gig is enough if you only keep a few apps on it. My Ipad Air 2 has only the basic apps that comes with the Ipad, DJI GO, DJI GO 4, and a few drone weather apps. My Ipad Mini 4 is a 128 gig and I have a bunch of stuff on there and it works fine. I just close all apps that I'm not using when I fly...

It should be enough for a dedicated unit with very few apps on it. If the video cache (DJI GO) is large, then you may need to remove DJI GO for iOS updates as the container for that keeps getting bigger over time. Or at iOS update time reduce the cache to as small as allowed and clear it. That could be enough to squeeze the update in.

I'd love to get my hands on an iPad mini 2 right now (at a cheap price!).

Last edited:
When using a Wi-Fi only mobile device, it is still possible to reset the home point to the Mavic's current location.

Reactions: MavicMo

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kia-6098.111