DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is care refresh worth the piece of mind?

When it comes to covering an older drone, the Care Refresh option is based on whether DJI offers the coverage or not. A "10-year old" drone doesn't necessarily mean the drone has racked up 10-years of mileage (wear and tear) on it and the owner is deciding if it is "worth it" to cover it usually based on the cost to repair it or replace it.

The way DJI apparently values the drone is based on the "inspection" otherwise known as the video verification which you may or may not qualify for. However, it does seem as long as your drone is working properly, you get the coverage. Plenty of old-stock drones or refurbs are just as "new" as the newer model drones because of old inventory and long life span of older models in the market. In addition, many drones were never covered in the first place making them eligible for this [one-time] coverage. Refurbs tend to have "low mileage" so they are just as good if not better than new stock.

This make DJI Care Refresh a different animal than the Collision option on auto insurance. When DJI no long repairs/replaces a drone model, my guess is they no longer sell Care Refresh (unless they offer the "equivalent model"). IMHO

Honestly, If the cost was fair the option to put care refresh on an older model is very tempting to me. I would feel a lot more comfortable knowing that if something goes wrong and my M100 and Zenmuse XT end up where I don’t want them I could get them repaired or replaced.
Again way off topic. Commercial grade expensive drones may well be worth insuring for a longer period.

The topic is Care Refresh on a consumer drone that will be worth a couple hundred in 5 years or so.

BTW you can get State Farm insurance on a drone. It’s very cheap. It was like $60.00 on a $3000.00 drone. But I don’t know how they value older drones. But they cover fly away.

BTW you can get State Farm insurance on a drone. It’s very cheap. It was like $60.00 on a $3000.00 drone. But I don’t know how they value older drones. But they cover fly away.
I got it on my Air 2s. It started out $8/month and for some reason, dropped to $6 a month.

The topic is Care Refresh on a consumer drone that will be worth a couple hundred in 5 years or so.
DJI Care Refresh is more similar to replacement insurance and doesn't really matter alot about how much your drone is currently worth. In other words, it is not directly dependent on depreciation.
Unfortunately SF insurance is not available to everyone. I would even say it is not an option for quite a few. Because it is clearly a better alternative to DJI Care Refresh when you compare them directly.

DJI Care Refresh is more similar to replacement insurance and doesn't really matter alot about how much your drone is currently worth. In other words, it is not directly dependent on depreciation.
Which is why I said as your drone DOES depreciate it becomes less worth while to buy replacement insurance for the same price as new.

Where on a car that depreciates, its collision insurance price may go down a little. But the cost to repair an old car isn’t much different than new. But it does cost less to replace. Eventually it does make sense to drop collision on a car. Unless it’s some valuable antique.

As things depreciate there is more incentive to self insure.

Peace of mind? I look at the cost of replacing the drone vs the initial cost of Care Refresh plus the fee for replacing a drone. As I recall the cost of replacing a drone under Care Refresh was about one third the cost of a new drone. (Drone only, not the full kit.) I figured the odds were better than 3:1 that I would not crash or lose the drone. I passed on Care Refresh and chose self insurance. I like the odds.
Well worth the cost. It's only money!

Care Refresh aka DJI wallet expansion.
Another option is to fly safe and not put an expensive flying camera at risk.

Reactions: MS Coast
Generally, did you know that if you accept DJI Care Refresh and you don't use it for the first year, your manufacturer's warranty is extended by one year? So you ordinarily get one year (here in the US) and then it expires, at that point you no longer have a warranty (under most circumstances). However, with DJI Care Refresh you could get another year so it turns out you may have a two-year manufacturer's warranty. I understand manufacturer defects ordinarily occur really soon right away and some might argue a 90-day warranty is sufficient. However, DJI is pretty good at accepting warranty claims covering not only defects but also flight issues that appear to be their fault. An extended DJI manufacturer's warranty has some value.

I realize there are other ways to get an extended warranty (buy one from 3rd party, use a qualified credit card, live in another country where the standard is 2-years, etc) but this is just another data point in deciding when/if to purchase DJI Care Refresh, not just covering a crash. I can assure you Care Refresh isn't driving business at DJI but it is definitely a good idea which *all* the other drone manufacturers have copied.

I never fail to buy it (especially the inexpensive plans) but I am starting to pay attention to the 3rd party offers you commonly find on Amazon. Much cheaper, backed by reliable companies, pretty much 100% no questions asked.

I merely go by what line two in post number 67 reads. Possibly I’m just lucky and haven’t ever crashed a camera but I’m leaning towards I just don’t put my hobby at risk and fly well above things that can reach out and grab what should not be grabbed.

Except risk is often a factor in getting the footage I want.

What then?

Reactions: slozukimc
A question from my Insurer was "Have you ever crashed your drone?". Apparently those who have are deemed lower insurance risk as they would have learned from the experience.

A question from my Insurer was "Have you ever crashed your drone?". Apparently those who have are deemed lower insurance risk as they would have learned from the experience.
It's so they can distinguish between a fresh crash that would be covered vs old damage that occurred before the policy that won't be covered. The old pre-existing condition adage.

Your choice. I haven’t found a lot of pictures worth a one thousand dollar camera.

Exactly.

That's why Care Refresh is a good service worth it's value.

Different people, different needs. I see no good reason to slag on those with different circumstances.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13