DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is DJI using our WiFi accounts directly?

Other than it would break countless telecommunication laws and regulator approvals, lacks a sim card, lacks any form of application for it and the vast majority of the planet lacks LTE coverage.
This is getting into tinfoil hat territory. The mavic is a small piece of gear. Its been disassembled, broken apart, stuck on spectrum analysers. There is no chance of a fanciful technology that doesn't even exist built into it.
Apps talk to the internet when theres a connection. If there isnt one they wait and queue the requests. Its not exactly hard.

It doesn't need a sim card if it is only listening /awaiting a kill signal to tell it to lock down. Intel Anti-Theft operated on the same or lesser technology of an integrated 3G chip within the CPU. The CPU could be remotely killed even after the BIOS was reset, the harddrive wiped, and the computer never connected to any network or Internet. It just had to be powered on.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/d...ta-with-intel-anti-theft-technology-brief.pdf

Rob

Every time you power on the iOS app and connect to the Mavic, you have this force update message ?
Any workarounds ?

Rob

Every time you power on the iOS app and connect to the Mavic, you have this force update message ?
Any workarounds ?

Sorry guys I lost touch with this thread.

Nope it only happened the one time. When I clicked Ignore the message went away and has not come back.

Last edited:
Other than it would break countless telecommunication laws and regulator approvals, lacks a sim card, lacks any form of application for it and the vast majority of the planet lacks LTE coverage.
This is getting into tinfoil hat territory. The mavic is a small piece of gear. Its been disassembled, broken apart, stuck on spectrum analysers. There is no chance of a fanciful technology that doesn't even exist built into it.
Apps talk to the internet when theres a connection. If there isnt one they wait and queue the requests. Its not exactly hard.

The Mavic has built in Wifi in the regular mode not Occusync mode.
That is how you can connect it to a phone and fly without a controller. So the hardware to connect to any wifi source is already inside the drone. It's only a question of making the software monitor WiFi sources and gathering the passwords to use them to independently phone home.

As for the LTE data that Adiru mentioned I seem to remembered that their is a tracking device on the market that can use LTE without a contract to send the GPS info to the companies website. The user just logs in and they can see where the device is located.

Rob

Reactions: Skrems
That really is strange.
Like you said maybe it's a counter thing embedded on the app to trigger @ some point.
I think I saw that 1 time while I was somewhere away, if I remember right I think I just ignored it or cancelled it or force closed the apps and restart.
I am also on FW 400 and App 405 on android AOS 601 airplane mode.

I rolled back to 4.0.6 and it auto upgrade to 4.1.3 by itself after 1 days (I saw the update notification, but I didn't click the update) :(

I rolled back to 4.0.6 and it auto upgrade to 4.1.3 by itself after 1 days (I saw the update notification, but I didn't click the update) :(

You are using iphone ?

Did you turn on the iphone apps auto update feature ?

You are using iphone ?

Did you turn on the iphone apps auto update feature ?

In iTunes and App Store / Auto Downloading / Updates was on.

Previously, I need to click on the (update) in App Store to enable update for each individual App.

Some how, this time it updated without I clicking on the (update).

Do you have another IOS device that might trigger the auto update on this device ?

Because I have another iPad , which when I update one device the other will be updated automatically.

I had a very interesting development last night.

For those who have follow some of my posts you know I am On .400 and using iOS ver 4.04 with a dedicated iphone 6+ in Airplane mode.

I have not switched out of Airplane mode for the last 6 weeks and everything always works the same, but last night was different!

When I ran GO4 4.04 I got a brand new looking message that I needed to update. It was not a forced update message but it filled half my screen and had a slider that was asking me to slide to update.

Now how on earth did my phone with no Sim card in it and no WiFi access suddenly get a new message to make a new prompt. Normally I would not think much about it, maybe it was a count down timer related thing but the timing seems way to coincidental.

I am now wondering if the Mavic is grabbing the wifi username and password from the phone via the App and storing it so that it can connect to the wifi router directly and therefore to DJI servers.

Any thoughts on this because I cannot see how my unconnected Mavic system suddenly knows there is a Shite fit happening at DJI and is prompting me to help them.

Rob

Rob, do u access the internet with that phone when u're not using the MP? Because it happened to me too and like u i am still on .0400. It happened some time ago and i blamed myself suspecting that i erroneously left the connection on while flying; then another strange thing happened when i recently travelled to Portugal and i received a message telling that "new rules applied based on local policy" (or something similar).....in airplane mode.....!!! I normally kill the app when i'm done flying but i seriously suspect that GO4 has a lot of hidden activity even when we are not using it and this is why i'm seriously considering to definitively discard the DJI app and only use 3rd party sw. Too shady to trust at this point.
Cheers

My dji go app update itself on a two devices and when I ask about it every one told me I did it so I assumed that my wife did it and she swear she didn't do it

And I calls her a stupid cow
If someone remember

Reactions: Clinton1 and rigor
Later I was band from this forum because I called people stop buying dji products until all the forcing issues will be sorted

So just for your knowledge
This forum is run to please dji and perhaps run by dji
.most likely I will be band again

Do you have another IOS device that might trigger the auto update on this device ?

Because I have another iPad , which when I update one device the other will be updated automatically.

I have an old iPad, but without DJI Go in it and in different Apple ID :(

Possible scenario: the dji app steals your ssid / password combo for your home wifi, and transmits it also to be stores on the Mavic. Then whenever it wants, it is able to get out to the Internet and phone home even if you stopped using your phone and fly only with the RC. Then Mavic itself has wifi capabilities and could be connecting directly to the Internet without you knowing. So to be extra safe, you should also change your wifi password for your home residential router. ANd like the other guy said, MAC address block your mavic and your iphone.
Why would a shady, greedy, lying Chinese company do this?

LIkely what happened is iJustine, Neistat, and all of them like their free vacations, mavics, sparks, etc
Nono, they aren't
Yeah I wonder if Billy, Ed, Iphonedo, Dragon and drone valley joined them.

Rob
Nono, guys. These DJI sycophants....I mean DJI enthusiasts don't get compensated with free DJI products and invitations. They are just really big fans that spend lots of hard earned money to give us fair and honest reviews.

I just really don't see the honest and honorable DJI doing such shady things as lying and paying sell outs to push their products and corporate agenda.

You guys got it all wrong. Shame on you all!

Rob, do u access the internet with that phone when u're not using the MP? Because it happened to me too and like u i am still on .0400. It happened some time ago and i blamed myself suspecting that i erroneously left the connection on while flying; then another strange thing happened when i recently travelled to Portugal and i received a message telling that "new rules applied based on local policy" (or something similar).....in airplane mode.....!!! I normally kill the app when i'm done flying but i seriously suspect that GO4 has a lot of hidden activity even when we are not using it and this is why i'm seriously considering to definitively discard the DJI app and only use 3rd party sw. Too shady to trust at this point.
Cheers

Its an iphone 6+ and its a dedicated device. It has no Sim card and the Wifi is off and it is in airplane mode. There was a time back during the days of firmware .200 and then .400 when I did use the Wifi but ever since .550 onward I have kept it off. I think it has now got to be at least 2 months or more since the WiFi was last turned on.

Rob

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique