DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it okay to fly in my own backyard below fence height in a controlled airspace without LANNC

shiqiu1105

Reactions
My home is in controlled airspace, so flying here requires LANNC approval.
Auto LANNC approval is not available in my area, unfortunately.

If I take off but only fly below the fence height, it should just be considered the same as fly within my own property and it should be okay, right?
Below fence height also won't cause any privacy issues for neighbors.

If I take off but only fly below the fence height, it should just be considered the same as fly within my own property and it should be okay, right?
You are "flying" in FAA controlled airspace NOT your own property Sorry BUT you need permission to do that no matter the altitude.
In Cali there is the privacy issue ( assembly bill 858) but your case would not be a violation per say......To bust this rule you really have to be lingering around their property with the Drone.
Shouldnt be hard to get clearance.

You are "flying" in FAA controlled airspace NOT your own property Sorry BUT you need permission to do that no matter the altitude.
In Cali there is the privacy issue ( assembly bill 858) but your case would not be a violation per say......To bust this rule you really have to be lingering around their property with the Drone.
Shouldnt be hard to get clearance.
that's really surprising.

What if I fly indoors, or inside the patio in the backyard...?

Manually applying for LANNC takes month, AFAIK :(
I used to live in controlled airspace which had neither auto nor manual LAANC approval for recreational flyers. It was absolutely impossible to fly a drone from my home at the time. Completely sucks I get it. Then the rules changed so you may have to wait awhile longer to see if anything changes.

I used to live in controlled airspace which had neither auto nor manual LAANC approval for recreational flyers. It was absolutely impossible to fly a drone from my home at the time. Completely sucks I get it. Then the rules changed so you may have to wait awhile longer to see if anything changes.

Thanks, I don't see how the restriction could get loosened honestly... So not holding my breath for it :(

Thanks, I don't see how the restriction could get loosened honestly... So not holding my breath for it :(
Living a mile from the local airport, I share your grief but fortunately there are several parks within easy driving distance that are outside of the restricted area.

We set up some FPV races indoors to avoid the rules one weekend at the local churches gym. Just Remember: To be indoors it must be enclosed.
4 columns and a roof (such as an awning or carport) don't count as indoors.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
A thought.
Flying below a fence line means plenty of prospects for something biting your new propeller driven camera. Flying indoors isn’t what your aircraft was designed for.
Be safe but be careful.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
When I first got my quad, I made the mistake of trying to fly in a controlled air space. It has been many years since then, but I seem to recall that once I got air born, I got a very stern message on my controller indicating I was in violation, and that I MUST land immediately, and failing to do so would result in my quad coming down, on its own, within seconds! My point being, it appeared that my quad was aware of my violation and wouldn't let me fly in that area....I had no override capabilities. Not sure if that still happens.......never made that mistake again.

City, county, state and federal parks often have different laws. You should check them all. Usually, you can find the info online or at least a phone number to call. At the last state park I went to, I inquired about a good open area in which to fly. The ranger said "There are rules about flying drones." to which I replied "Yes, and I know what they are." He said "Good because I don't." and told me about different areas I might check out. :)

I have theorized that following the "spirit" of the law, vs. the "letter" of the law, it should be okay to fly within controlled airspace as long as you are below any nearby fence, tree, structure or landmass. You would technically be below zero AGL. I brought this up with a couple of local Air Traffic Controllers at a meeting. They explained that the reason my theory is wrong, is because a drone can have a "fly-away" and quickly become a problem for manned aircraft on takeoff or approach.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BugHunter