DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it okay to fly in my own backyard below fence height in a controlled airspace without LANNC

You would technically be below zero AGL,

That's simply not true. Technically or otherwise.

AGL is above ground level, not above obstructions on the ground. Using that argument you could legally fly at 1000' AGL near that big tower south of New Orleans near the Naval Air Station.

My home is in controlled airspace, so flying here requires LANNC approval.
Auto LANNC approval is not available in my area, unfortunately.

If I take off but only fly below the fence height, it should just be considered the same as fly within my own property and it should be okay, right?
Below fence height also won't cause any privacy issues for neighbors.
If you use a tether on the drone, it may be OK?

AGL is above ground level, not above obstructions on the ground. Using that argument you could legally fly at 1000' AGL near that big tower south of New Orleans near the Naval Air Station.

Actually, that's exactly how it works. There may be other rules near the Naval Air Station, but in uncontrolled airspace you can fly 400' above any natural or man-made object as long as you stay within 400' of it, laterally.

Reactions: Cafguy
Actually, that's exactly how it works. There may be other rules near the Naval Air Station, but in uncontrolled airspace you can fly 400' above any natural or man-made object as long as you stay within 400' of it, laterally.
This is not the rule for recreational flyers, perhaps this applies to part 107. Even in uncontrolled airspace, the recreational flyer cannot exceed 400 AGL which means you cannot go over the top of a building which is 500 AGL.

Tru only with a Part 107 certificate.

But the OP was talking about being able to fly legally lower than obstructions in controlled airspace with a 0' AGL ceiling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
This is not the rule for recreational flyers, perhaps this applies to part 107. Even in uncontrolled airspace, the recreational flyer cannot exceed 400 AGL which means you cannot go over the top of a building which is 500 AGL.
Here is a good explanation of the rule. I know this article pertains to Part 107, but the rule is the same for recreational fliers in the US.

Here is a good explanation of the rule. I know this article pertains to Part 107, but the rule is the same for recreational fliers in the US.

Ok, I'm curious now. We all know the rules so a "good explanation" is not very helpful; we get it. But the article starts off by saying "Under part 107..." so as a recreational flyer, please help us understand why you say the rule is the same for recreational flyers in the US when recreational flyers can only fly under the exception and technically do not comply with the whole of part 107 rules? Perhaps this rule is part of one of the CBOs?

There are not two sets of rules; there is only one and it's "part 107" and you need a part 107 license when you comply with those rules. If you don't, you can only fly your drone under the exception and it's section 44809. There you will find what you need for a recreational flight and something tells me you won't find anything about flying over tall structures in uncontrolled airspace. Would love to be wrong on this one. ;)

Ok, I'm curious now. We all know the rules so a "good explanation" is not very helpful; we get it. But the article starts off by saying "Under part 107..." so as a recreational flyer, please help us understand why you say the rule is the same for recreational flyers in the US when recreational flyers can only fly under the exception and technically do not comply with the whole of part 107 rules? Perhaps this rule is part of one of the CBOs?

There are not two sets of rules; there is only one and it's "part 107" and you need a part 107 license when you comply with those rules. If you don't, you can only fly your drone under the exception and it's section 44809. There you will find what you need for a recreational flight and something tells me you won't find anything about flying over tall structures in uncontrolled airspace. Would love to be wrong on this one. ;)
Using this search,

I found this:
1719720949696.png

I know the result is an AI response, but it does cite its references. This really is the rule. I wish I knew where to find something specific on the FAA's website, but that was proving to be a long search.

By the same token, if you take off on a high point like a mountain top, you have to descend as you fly away from the peak to maintain 400' AGL or less. This is difficult to judge by eye, but some common sense can go a long way toward staying compliant.

Someone jump in and back me up here! :)

Using this search,

I found this:
View attachment 175928

I know the result is an AI response, but it does cite its references. This really is the rule. I wish I knew where to find something specific on the FAA's website, but that was proving to be a long search.

By the same token, if you take off on a high point like a mountain top, you have to descend as you fly away from the peak to maintain 400' AGL or less. This is difficult to judge by eye, but some common sense can go a long way toward staying compliant.

Agreed with the latter part of your comments because the reference is the ground but not the top of a building. However, I still disagree with the former and I believe this page will help explain why your generative AI answer is faulty: Can I Fly My Drone Above 400 Feet? Understanding the Altitude Limit - Pilot Institute

Reactions: skycam509
This article actually supports my position. It states the rule as I have described it (in Class G airspace), and states that the Part 107 rules are the strictest standard for drone pilots. Do you see anything in this article that infers that a different, more restrictive rule applies to recreational pilots?

Using this search,

I found this:
View attachment 175928

The OP was suggesting could legally fly in an area with a 0' AGL ceiling by staying BELOW obstructions. He cannot.

The information you posted is accurate but it deals with flying ABOVE obstructions.

Would be nice if at some point FAA amends this to something like 40' in confines of your own property, or below tree line. Something that enables recreational flyers to fly photography, fun, FPV, etc. in an established safe zone where there is no chance of it interfering with any FAA operations. Of course, being in FAA airspace does offer some protections, like the guy who shot his neighbor's drone down. If we had this non-FAA zone, wouldn't face the same federal charges, but still probably a bevy of local charges.

Last edited:
...They explained that the reason my theory is wrong, is because a drone can have a "fly-away" and quickly become a problem for manned aircraft on takeoff or approach.
This is a good point, but there's a slippery slope argument here too because the same thing can happen if you're flying just outside controlled airspace.

Another reason not to fly within controlled airspace within the volume of your own property is that drone detection equipment (the kind that looks for drone radio transmissions) may detect your drone, which I suspect could cause bogus warnings and diversions of aircraft.

Reactions: skycam509 and Xitor
Someone jump in and back me up here!
As I understand things, the rule/ceiling for USA recreational flyers is 400ft AGL..........full stop.
So a string 400ft long tied to the bottom of the drone MUST be able to touch theground DIRECTLY BENEATH the drone.
This article actually supports my position.
What is the URL for the article please ?

For me, your google search leads to results for UK flights, I don't know if it produces locally orientated results for any one else.

Reactions: Cafguy and okw
From a legal stand point could the OP fly their drone in their back garden if it were flown inside a net walled and roofed structure that was constructed of netting strong enough to ensure the drone can not escape.
Whether or not the drone's software will let it take off is and entirely different matter but I suppose they could mask the drone's GPS receiver.
Would that also mask RID ?
It might get interesting if the drone were detected, they might have to show the structure as evidence of safe flying.

If you use a tether on the drone, it may be OK?
Even if it is legal a tether brings its own problems, been there done that.
The drone is confined is to a hemisphere of radius xx.
The tether needs to be light weight yet strong, which is perfectly feasible, but it must drop at least as quickly as the drone can, otherwise there is a risk of it fouling the props, I used spaced out paper clips within 20ft of the drone.
Then we come to the real problem.
The tether can catch on things on the ground, the only place it is likely to be safe is over open spaces with short mown grass or no vegitation or obstacles at all.
Suspended wires etc. e.g. phone lines, also present problem as may obstacles outside the flying area ( NOT the hemisphere ) if the tether is long enough and light enough to be blown over them by any prevailing wind.
One final point, winding up a long tether can be time consuming.

This article actually supports my position. It states the rule as I have described it (in Class G airspace), and states that the Part 107 rules are the strictest standard for drone pilots. Do you see anything in this article that infers that a different, more restrictive rule applies to recreational pilots?
I focus on this statement from the article: "Hobbyists do not follow Part 107 regulation. As a result, hobbyists cannot fly 400 feet over a structure, whether in controlled or uncontrolled airspace. Hobbyists are limited to 400 feet AGL at all time in uncontrolled airspace, and whatever the altitude limit is when flying in controlled airspace (as specified by the grid)."

First, you would need to confirm that flying tethered is a legal workaround. If yes, then I would get an old fishing reel, install some proper strength line and fasten the reel to a suitable weight. Instead of paper clips, I would use the small crimp on lead weights to keep the line below the drone. When done, the line should be easily reeled in for the next flight.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
I would get an old fishing reel, install some proper strength line and fasten the reel to a suitable weight
I think the butt end of a fishing rod would be better than a weight and run the line through the rod's eyes. By holding the rod and line in your hand/fingers you'd have control of the tension on the line during the rewind. An untensioned line might eat up spool space.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tdotty