DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it okay to fly in my own backyard below fence height in a controlled airspace without LANNC

I focus on this statement from the article: "Hobbyists do not follow Part 107 regulation. As a result, hobbyists cannot fly 400 feet over a structure, whether in controlled or uncontrolled airspace. Hobbyists are limited to 400 feet AGL at all time in uncontrolled airspace, and whatever the altitude limit is when flying in controlled airspace (as specified by the grid)."

Looks like he didn't even read the article serving as his "proof".

Man, is that bad form... 🙄

First, you would need to confirm that flying tethered is a legal workaround. If yes, then I would get an old fishing reel, install some proper strength line and fasten the reel to a suitable weight. Instead of paper clips, I would use the small crimp on lead weights to keep the line below the drone. When done, the line should be easily reeled in for the next flight.

Geez, if we're going to these lengths, just forget the drone and get an old U-control plane 😁

That said, tethering will not work, and with near certainty result in disaster. At a minimum a damaged drone, possibly worse.

As soon as the tether constrains the drone, the flight controller will go bananas fighting the constraint trying to carry out your commanded movement. It will not stop when you center the sticks. Regaining control is very difficult so long as the FC can not execute attitude changes without expected positional changes.

The reason for this stems from positioning behavior. If you could switch to ATTI flight, a tether is no problem when you let off the sticks.

First, you would need to confirm that flying tethered is a legal workaround. If yes, then I would get an old fishing reel, install some proper strength line and fasten the reel to a suitable weight. Instead of paper clips, I would use the small crimp on lead weights to keep the line below the drone. When done, the line should be easily reeled in for the next flight.
Its not. The problem is that when you tether the Drone it now becomes an obstruction. e.g. I placed a flagpole in my front yard that was 35 ft tall (that's right 35 ft.) I live just over 5 miles from our Airport right on the ILS approach to a runway and a few days after I erected my pole I recieved a letter from the Bakersfield Airport Management stating that I had an obstruction on my property that was too tall. granted my pole is 35 ft and planes are coming over my property at 400-It was still labled as a hazard and I ended up cutting 10 ft. from my pole.
If you tether the drone and fly it you will be placing an "obstruction" in their Airspace.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buckp