DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it worth getting a SC now?

I have the DJI SC and I'm a big fan of it, but like anything (CrystalSky) I fear it has a shelf life given that they run on older versions of Android. That said, it is a fantastic controller however I'm not sure I will opt for it when buying my next drone as I'm sure my S20 Ultra would do a fine job also.
I've heard that the S20 Ultra s hard to fit into the controller. Is that true?

I've heard that the S20 Ultra s hard to fit into the controller. Is that true?

I've only used the SC with my current setup, so I'm unsure but I would think that the S20 Ultra is a little big for the Mavic RC's.

Reactions: jaysmithtechtv
So, let me start by saying the SC is much much better option that having to use your everyday phone. The idea behind the SC is great, and its size is about perfect for that niche; portable & fast-up flying option. If your not very interested in that niche, then I'd go with a larger screen option... an iOS device thats not old, but not brand new (call it proven, with DJI SW) and dedicate it to use with your drone RC. Youd gain a bigger screen, and only lose 400nits brightness. Truthfully, 1000nits isnt all that great in direct sunlight either. Its really more to do with the reflectivity of the screen of whatever device your using!

My only real gripe about the SC is that the price was excessive for it not being very future-proof (price: when buying it alone. As part of bundle, much better) if you take into account it has weak specs. It was released in 2019, but it had the generic chipset and specs of a lower-end 2017 device. If DJI hadnt done alot of work optimizing SC to run Go4, it mightve been a disaster, since iOS is their preferred OS for their SW.

SC does run smoothly in most modes in Go4, but if you add ANY additional load (notably screen recording) your going to be maxing it out and your likely to get 2-3 sec screen lag, if your lucky, and a complete Go4 freeze up, which will auto-close and restart on its own most of the time, which can be (definitely is!!!) a crap-your-self situation, esp when first starting out in drones. Fortunately, this isnt as much of an issue now, as they have further optimized the integral screen recorder, however, if your screen recording and then you go into hyperlapse mode, you will run into issues.

Good news though, if you dont intend on screen recording, your not likely to run into any issues at all!

All in all, its great, and I'd recommend it. It fits well in packing, its battery is decent and it feels good in hand, just be aware that your not going to have a great experience if your running anything other than Go4 (Litchi I get bad screen lagging).

PS: If you get one I'd recommend this lanyard: ROBOTERWERK SC Lanyard. Its on Amazon.

Good luck deciding

Well I've bit the bullet and ordered one. Should arrive tommorow. I will be losing a bit of screen size. However alot of my screen on the s20 ultra is hidden behind the RC handles anyway. Which makes it harder to press things on the edge of my screen. So it will balance its self out I'm sure!

I'll report back if I feel it was a worthy investment!

Definitely worth it ?
Going from an s20 ultra to this honestly you hardly notice the size difference. And the fact that you can see it alot easier and can press the whole screen without the handles protruding is so so good.
The ease of use, to be able to just have your drone ready to fly withing a matter of seconds rather than minutes is superb.

Literally the only downside I have is that the fly more combo kit for the mavic 2 doesn't really fit the controller very well. Sure you can put it in the left compartment and the drone in the right. But this means you then need to put your batteries and the battery hub in the outside pockets, which I dont really like, but thats my only gripe with it but that's not really a problem with the controller, more the fly more bag.

I am going to be purchasing a Air 2 next week, I do hope that the controller gets a firmware update at some point so that the air 2 works with the SC!

Reactions: bonzo
I just bought the smart controller yesterday. Soooo much easier.

Definitely worth it ?
Going from an s20 ultra to this honestly you hardly notice the size difference. And the fact that you can see it alot easier and can press the whole screen without the handles protruding is so so good.
The ease of use, to be able to just have your drone ready to fly withing a matter of seconds rather than minutes is superb.

Literally the only downside I have is that the fly more combo kit for the mavic 2 doesn't really fit the controller very well. Sure you can put it in the left compartment and the drone in the right. But this means you then need to put your batteries and the battery hub in the outside pockets, which I dont really like, but thats my only gripe with it but that's not really a problem with the controller, more the fly more bag.

I am going to be purchasing a Air 2 next week, I do hope that the controller gets a firmware update at some point so that the air 2 works with the SC!

IMO the SC is NOT worth it due to it's high cost. You deny yourself the abiltiy to use custom apps and for what the SC costs you could buy a high end tablet with a high NITS count that would work fine outdoors. The SC wins on ease of use but were talking miniscule "nice to haves" like not having to assemble the RC/Phone, literally takes seconds and its not a big deal. Other note, after you fly long enough you may want to mod your RC at some point, like boosting your RC signal to get more range, forget about doing any of that on the SC.

Hope hearing another POV helps your final decision.

you can mod the sc, and why would you want to fill up a controller designed to fly a drone with apps you could put on your phone if you want to and look at, google play can be added to SC, I had it but took it off plus the apps as each time there is a sc firmware update you gotta go through all the faffing of re-installing it all over again, I didn't really see the point of filling up a controller with apps I could have on my phone.

Last edited:
For me the SC is well worth it.

The screen is significantly brighter than any mobile device on the market. I do wish it as brighter though (like a crystal sky ultra).
I can just about see it well enough to use in direct, bright, tropical sunlight with my sunglasses off which was impossible on any mobile device. Even high end devices that cost more than the SC dont have as bright a screen.

For me the biggest help is the rapid setup and flight. No more taking devices out of cases, calibrating mobile device compasses, assembling a holder, clipping it into an RC, running cables and then eventually flying hoping you don't bump a USB cable out.
Im doing a lot more flying as a result. Previously if i saw something worth shooting whilst walking i couldn't be bothered spending a few minutes assembling the apparatus. Now i can be airborne in 30 seconds with no effort so its worth it.

Battery life is roughly 6 flights. A negative for me is how easy it is to turn on by accident, i've had it on in my bag after a bump by accident numerous times.

A potential downside is 3rd party apps. Lots do work, some dont.

Litchi works no problem. For mapping Pix4d works but dronedeploy does not (the developers havent bothered supporting it).

In my view well worth the money for a screen you can actually see and rapid setup and flight.

I never saw the point buying a device optimised for one particular purpose (drone flying) then slowing it down installing stuff that really isnt needed like facebook, instagram and random apps.
I do have google play on and i have google photos (for ease of sharing). I also have DroneAssist and UAV Forecast but thats it.
Ultimately, it needs internet access for most apps in which case, just run them on your mobile device!

At first I didnt want to get the SC. Then I end up getting it last month. Why?

That plug/unplug chuck/unchuck will wear something down. I only live once. So a few $ hundreds lost is OK.

Reactions: ff22
After due consideration of all the salient features of a SC I have come to the conclusion it is indeed a RIP-off.

That said, at the time of writing I am unaware of any individual on their death bed who has announced they spent too much money on their SC.

All of that considered, I bought one. Me very happy [emoji16]

Reactions: macoman
After due consideration of all the salient features of a SC I have come to the conclusion it is indeed a RIP-off.

That said, at the time of writing I am unaware of any individual on their death bed who has announced they spent too much money on their SC.

All of that considered, I bought one. Me very happy [emoji16]
Hahaha so funny... I bought one too but unfortunately can't use it now. Waiting for that firmware that will make the Mavic air 2 compatible.

At first I didnt want to get the SC. Then I end up getting it last month. Why?

That plug/unplug chuck/unchuck will wear something down. I only live once. So a few $ hundreds lost is OK.

Had alittle issue sunday night with the stock controller linked up to my phone....
cable got disconnected, my phone screen froze, went black & white... tried pushing the cable back into phone, still no live feed, was flying blind! Luckily It happened on the way back from where I flew too... was able to hear it coming back and land safely...
Looking like a smart controller is worth the money after the scare I just had...

NSPRSS, I've heard missed reviews on the SC as an improvement in the connectivity area. I wonder if other members can speak to this.

I have a chance to snag a BNIB sealed for $550, but still on the fence because I still have to buy a BT35e HDMI interface for my Epson Moverio BT-300 smartglasses. Still thinking that the combined $834 would be worth spending towards a Mavic 3 Pro. What do you guys think of the resale value of the SC on eBay or in this forum?

I purchased it in large part because of the bright screen. I had to upgrade my phone and ended up with a galaxy note 10 + (I found that even that screen wasn't bright enough). More importantly though, that phone is valuable to me and I didn't want to keep taking my phone out of my case and fumbling with it to set up the standard controller. Also, going through this process increases chance of scratching the screen.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett