DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it worth the money savings for a Dji refurbished mini 2

Artemis

Reactions
So was scoping out The Dji refurbs, the fly more package would cost me 449 for a refurbished vs 540 vet discount through Apple store, a good savings but since I’m new to the Drone world I am seeking info on how extensive Dji refurb program is…. Is it like new…no risk? I know some companies like Apple pretty much really are like new while others are far more just a checkout and reboxing…. If you know please share

I sent a Mini 2 in for repair, and received a different unit in return. I believe it was refurbished, but was not noticeably different from new. I have no experience with what they sell as refurbished.

Reactions: Derek H and Artemis
With drones its not about new or refurbished its about getting a nice working drone out of the box.
As a rule of thumb if the Horizon is not perfect out of the box we send it back.

We have ordered enough drones to know good quality shipping is not easy. This is one of the reasons why we order two of everything because it doubles are chances of getting a perfect drone.

This is also why we stress its not about the price but getting the best and fastest return or replacement policy .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain. Land on the Water.

With drones its not about new or refurbished its about getting a nice working drone out of the box.
As a rule of thumb if the Horizon is not perfect out of the box we send it back.

We have ordered enough drones to know good quality shipping is not easy. This is one of the reasons why we order two of everything because it doubles are chances of getting a perfect drone.

This is also why we stress its not about the price but getting the best and fastest return or replacement policy .

Phantomrain.org
You say that like the odds are not in my favor no matter what I get…. Was just posting to the 2s forum to see if maybe it might be more robust and perhaps a little safer for a newb due to the sensors

You say that like the odds are not in my favor no matter what I get…. Was just posting to the 2s forum to see if maybe it might be more robust and perhaps a little safer for a newb due to the sensors
Not at all! He's just pointing out that even a brand new drone can have problems out of the box. Refurbs are factory restored to new condition, and individually tested. Under the new drone warranty, if there are any issues, you get a refurb anyway. Might as well start out with a refurb and save some money!

Phantomrain.org
I second the notion of buying two of everything to double the chance of getting a perfect drone! When you only have one, there is no way to tell if issues are unique to yours, or common to all, which has often been a source of completely unnecessary replacements! Owning two also gives you a backup, in case either needs replacement, during the time period that takes.

I second the notion of buying two of everything to double the chance of getting a perfect drone! When you only have one, there is no way to tell if issues are unique to yours, or common to all, which has often been a source of completely unnecessary replacements! Owning two also gives you a backup, in case either needs replacement, during the time period that takes.
I think I need a buy one get one free coupon to go that route haha

Are all you folks ordering more than one drone professionals? I imagine us hobbyists buy one, and if it doesn't work right, send it back for a replacement.
How can you be sure it isn't working right on a newly released drone? There is no frame of reference without another unit for comparison. Buying from entities like Best Buy that allow return of defective drones without a restocking fee also helps. Even serious hobbyists don't want to be drone less, and will have a back up drone, in case of problems with any one drone. Crashes also happen and take time to be resolved. Flying cameras are more risky than terrestrial cameras. They don't always make it back safely. If one is good, two are better, but it also depends upon your budget and how frequently you fly, and the risks you take. When all your eggs are in one basket, you have to guard it carefully. If you have too baskets of eggs, you are more willing to take chances to get the shot. Flying in foul weather and low over water can result in spectacular footage, but is not for the risk averse! The drones are merely tools used to capture great video and stills. Sometimes the tool may get broken in the process. They are an item of consumption! The video and stills survive!

Reactions: Crash Pro
Refurb still offers Care Refresh, buy it. Piece of mind and being a new pilot makes it a deal you shouldn’t refuse. Can be extended an additional year as well and increases resale value, just in case.

So was scoping out The Dji refurbs, the fly more package would cost me 449 for a refurbished vs 540 vet discount through Apple store, a good savings but since I’m new to the Drone world I am seeking info on how extensive Dji refurb program is…. Is it like new…no risk? I know some companies like Apple pretty much really are like new while others are far more just a checkout and reboxing…. If you know please share
Mine is a refurb from the Amazon Warehouse, picked it up for right at $400 for the Fly-more...I have had no isues that were not pilot caused

As a retired photographer, I have come to believe that refurbished units are possibly better than off the assembly line ones due to quality control. I bought my Air2 as refurbished and it came with the same warranty and care refresh as a brand new unit. It was packaged as new and had brand new batteries. The only problem with factory refurbished units are that they can be hard to find. Best wishes.

As a retired photographer, I have come to believe that refurbished units are possibly better than off the assembly line ones due to quality control. I bought my Air2 as refurbished and it came with the same warranty and care refresh as a brand new unit. It was packaged as new and had brand new batteries. The only problem with factory refurbished units are that they can be hard to find. Best wishes.
Thanks… probably the best price I’ve found for the 2s is the eBay factory refurbished base model for 849, but I’m trying to factor in that I’ll need at least one more battery, Adorama is pretty close to the base price with the battery bundle and they also give you a 128 card and back pack…. That seems to be the best bundle….kinda wish you could mix and match … they Have the firehouse arc v in some of their bundles and I think that’s a future purchase anyway… if I could get that and the extra battery and backpack for the same 1029 I think I would pull the trigger … was hoping to find a coupon for an extra 5 or 10% but none of them are working… I would just use my vet discount at Apple but for some reason they still only carry The air2

Thanks… probably the best price I’ve found for the 2s is the eBay factory refurbished base model for 849, but I’m trying to factor in that I’ll need at least one more battery, Adorama is pretty close to the base price with the battery bundle and they also give you a 128 card and back pack…. That seems to be the best bundle….kinda wish you could mix and match … they Have the firehouse arc v in some of their bundles and I think that’s a future purchase anyway… if I could get that and the extra battery and backpack for the same 1029 I think I would pull the trigger … was hoping to find a coupon for an extra 5 or 10% but none of them are working… I would just use my vet discount at Apple but for some reason they still only carry The air2
Yeah, you’ll need at least 1 more battery depending on your flight habits.

I sent a Mini 2 in for repair, and received a different unit in return. I believe it was refurbished, but was not noticeably different from new. I have no experience with what they sell as refurbished.
I used DJI care refresh 3 times during my training period, and got a different drone back each time. I assume they were refurbished. None of them had any identifiable problems.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a factory re-furb Mini-2, when they're available.

I have 3 Mini-2s, so I'll never be droneless...

;-)

TCS

Thanks for everyone’s help, I ended up pulling trigger on a new air2s from Adorama, i got the fly more package and the bundle gave me a sandisk extreme 128,landing mat,arc v strobe and cleaning supplies, 1299, that’s not exactly best deal in world but at least I’ll get 2% back with Apple Pay and approx 60 dollars worth of stuff I would need to buy anyway

Here's the best deal you will ever find on an Air 2S: get the $1200 RC Pro for only $450 more than the Combo, at a savings of $749! $1749 for the Air 2S Combo and the new RC Pro Remote that currently only comes included in the $4999 Mavic 3 Cine Bundle and sells separately for $1200!

Last edited:
I saw that and read a few reviews, I may feel different in the future but for a newbie it’s seemed A little unnecessary….. im Initially going to try to use my 12.9” iPad Pro because my phone is an iphone Mini…. Which might be a little small to easily read all the info presented…. Most stuff I have read seem to suggest Dji plays well with iOS , it’s just all the different iterations of android that sometimes gives the headaches….I’m actually really hoping the iPad works well, huge screen, only down side is I won’t be holding it, was going to maybe keep an eye out for a tall pedestal stand on wheels for the house…. If I’m mobile probably will just be sitting it on trunk of car or something….. and of course I might consider a iPhone pro max next time I upgrade now that I would actually have a good reason for such a large phone…. I think the new ones are 1000 nits also. They sell shades for all these but it looks like you could make one for a couple of dollars yourself

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+