DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is my drone totaled? Is it even worth it getting a repair estimate?

Invertix

Reactions
I crashed my new Mavic Air 2 HARD against a tree. I cried a lot. Lots of damage...torn off gimbal (couldn't find it), broke arm, other arm out of alignment, cracked landing arm, bent plastic on body, etc. I requested a repair estimate from DJI but haven't sent in the drone yet. I'm wondering several things:

1. If the drone is a complete loss, would DJI possibly offer to replace it with a refurbished or new drone, and if yes, what's the likely cost?
2. DJI said I'll be assessed $65/hour for diagnosis if I don't opt to get the drone repaired. What is the max amount they will likely charge me for the diagnosis?

3. Is it even worth sending in? Or am I better off just buying a new drone?
4. Are there any other good options I haven't considered yet? (I read recommendations for DJIdroneservice.com for repairs, but don't want to void the warranty).

I'm sorry and can feel your pain. The situation sucks, I know. How long did you have it? Your first drone?

I can't say what DJI will do for you, but lets look at the worst case scenario. It is unlikely that they will charge you the $800 cost of a new one but you know that's absolutely the most they could possibly think about charging. But without a gimbal and camera it won't be cheap. But after all, you still have fully functional batteries, controller and other gadgets so it's got to be less than a new one. They'll probably send you a refurbished unit, but that's ok. I bought a refurb Mavic 2 Pro and I am not able to tell in any way that it wasn't brand new.

You've got $800-$1000 in it already so you're not going not fix it. It will sting, but eventually you'll get past the pain. But if I may suggest, when you get he repaired/refurbished MA2 back, you need to think about insuring it. State Farm drone insurance is cheap; even cheaper than the DJI Care/Refresh. I suppose a claim with State Farm would require jumping through more hoops, but it covers loss through theft flyaways, theft, crashes or drownings and you can insure the controller and accessories as well.

I truly hope this works out as not to hurt you too badly.

$65/hr just for the diagnosis?! Really?! Is that the official DJI? That's kind of crazy considering diagnosis is completely free in China. I just left my drone at a DJI store and they even handled all the packaging and delivery. I didn't pay a penny until I opted to proceed with the repairs. I wrote about my experience here:

Anyway, at that price for just a diagnosis, I don't think it's worth sending your drone back to DJI. The gimbal+camera alone is worth about $200. Once you replace all the other parts and add in labour, it could be more expensive than just buying a new drone.

It's worth asking DJI if they'll replace just the drone for you. I know somebody (in China, though) who got a new Air 2 for 70% the price of the basic package, which would be $490 if they offered something equivalent in the US.

If that's not an option, you might as well check out the cost of repairs from reputable third party repair centres. Yes it'll void warranty with DJI, but perhaps they'll provide some sort of warranty of their own? Again, obviously don't pay too much just for diagnosis and a quote. Chances are, it's not economic to repair.

That's terrible news. I think there's also some reputable DJI repair places in the states that do free estimates. I've seen some posts on here from other members with positive feedback, might be worth considering (try search bar or make a post asking if you don't find threads).
Worst case scenario you can by a cheap carbon frame and see if you can make it into an FPV.
Good luck, we feel your pain.

When I crashed my P3A which broke the gimbal in 3 pieces, I too was wondering what to do, considering the diagnostic charge. The gimbal if purchased was about half of what I paid for the P3, and there was also damage to the body, landing legs and compass.

They actually were reasonable with the quote, somewhere around $200 for everything, the quote having the gimbal repaired but really it was replaced.

I'd say if you've had it for a while, send it in. They'll probably be sending you a refurbished one even if you're quoted and pay for repairs.

If you're nearing the end of the warranty, which i guess would have to have a few months left, have DDS look at it.

I crashed my new Mavic Air 2 HARD against a tree. I cried a lot. Lots of damage...torn off gimbal (couldn't find it), broke arm, other arm out of alignment, cracked landing arm, bent plastic on body, etc. I requested a repair estimate from DJI but haven't sent in the drone yet. I'm wondering several things:

1. If the drone is a complete loss, would DJI possibly offer to replace it with a refurbished or new drone, and if yes, what's the likely cost?
2. DJI said I'll be assessed $65/hour for diagnosis if I don't opt to get the drone repaired. What is the max amount they will likely charge me for the diagnosis?

4. Are there any other good options I haven't considered yet? (I read recommendations for DJIdroneservice.com for repairs, but don't want to void the warranty).
Check out DJI Drone Service (not the same as DJI) for an estimate. I believe the shipping and estimate are free. If you decide not to fix, they'll send it back to you.

With a crash like that, there may be under other issues. I have heard others having issues with the ESC (Electronic Speed Controller). After fixing Camera, broken arms, motors, Etc. They have started receiving an ESC status error. This hardware can be damaged in a crash as you describe. That is something you can have checked as well, if the ESC board is damaged, its important to get fixed. Because it controls the speed of the Motors which directly alters the in-flight aircraft directional changes.
Please check it out your self, don't take my word for it. If I crash, I will keep my drone and buy parts to repair it, just for fun.

Contact Thunderdones in Duluth Georgia for advice on whether it's reasonable to repair.thunderdrones.org

Reactions: Camino Ken

I M H O....... time for a new drone. Sorry for your accident, partner

Assuming no DJI Refresh on the drone? WOuild have been worth the $80 in hindsight.:p

Reactions: Mazdaman323lx
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan