DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is my video very stuttery/jittery or is it my computer? (M2P)

OurAngryBadger

Reactions
Is my video very stuttery/jittery or is it my computer? I'm talking about these panning shots, they seem to "skip" a lot if you look closely and watch a few times. Is it my computer or is anyone else seeing it too? I just got a new computer, and never noticed this stuttering before on my old computer, however my new computer is a 24 core processor top of the line so I don't think it should struggle with 4k video.

Video shot:
4k/24
Auto WB
Auto Exposure
Auto Shutter
Auto etc

I know I messed up by not using manual settings and not doing the 180 rule (by using 1/50s shutter). It could also be the cause. But I just at this point want to verify if it's just my computer struggling or if the video itself is actually bad from the drone.

Also I know panning shots they say to use 60fps but I need to shoot in 4k for my purposes so 30fps is absolutely highest I can do. Or the experts say to slow down the panning while flying, but for these scenes because it's such a long pan I can't really slow it down much without making the finished video too long and slow.

It's not just panning, I was also doing some where I was flying straight ahead with the camera pointed slightly down at the ground and noticed the same stuttering too

Is my video very stuttery/jittery or is it my computer? I'm talking about these panning shots, they seem to "skip" a lot if you look closely and watch a few times. Is it my computer or is anyone else seeing it too? I just got a new computer, and never noticed this stuttering before on my old computer, however my new computer is a 24 core processor top of the line so I don't think it should struggle with 4k video.

Video shot:
4k/24
Auto WB
Auto Exposure
Auto Shutter
Auto etc

I know I messed up by not using manual settings and not doing the 180 rule (by using 1/50s shutter). It could also be the cause. But I just at this point want to verify if it's just my computer struggling or if the video itself is actually bad from the drone.

Also I know panning shots they say to use 60fps but I need to shoot in 4k for my purposes so 30fps is absolutely highest I can do. Or the experts say to slow down the panning while flying, but for these scenes because it's such a long pan I can't really slow it down much without making the finished video too long and slow.

It's not just panning, I was also doing some where I was flying straight ahead with the camera pointed slightly down at the ground and noticed the same stuttering too

The video looks really clean and the codec looks good , no hot spots,
The problem is your flying . It s to fast for cinema mode even the panning is to fast , when you pan straight down you have to go even slower.
But the video look great.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 2 in the rain. and float on water.

I got similar video results and found that slowing down the joystick response seemed to help. A number of YouTube videos how to do. Also, agree with other response that a slower style of may help.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
It is for sure your shutter. For these types of shots with close subjects, you will need to follow the 180 degree angle. Eg. 1/60 shutter or 1/50. If there are no human or traffic fast movement, you can even use 1/40 or 1/30 for smoother motion blur. If you are high up like 120m, then your shutter speed could be higher because most things move slower on screen and it wouldn't cause any stutter. Go get an ND filter!

Reactions: Jay241
I don't see the stutter / jittery.

To answer your initial question: Yes, I see the stutter too (i.e. the white frames in the beginning scenes), it's not just your computer.

And the experts you quote are right. Panning means a lot of changes from one picture of the video to the next one. If there are too much changes between two pictures the movements are not smooth enough for our eyes and we see stutter.

The two solutions I know: Pan as slow as possible to reduce the changes between 2 pictures and/or use the highest possible fps to get the same effect.
Flying straight ahead with the camera pointed slightly down can also produce stuttering if there are many objects in the picture that move fast.

So with your special problem I would use 30 fps if you really need 4k and can't pan slower. It will reduce the stutter but I don't think it will eliminate it if you have to pan that fast. And following the 180 rule will help too.

Last but not least: Don't film with 30 fps and produce in 24 fps afterwards. Due to the deletion of some frames you might produce additional stutter.
Good Luck!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalinbbc27