DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is Sedona REALLY a NFZ? Your thoughs on Class G Airspace?

BingErr

Reactions
Flying into Phoenix on the 22nd and out on 26th and we have a car rented to drive to Sedona so.... here's my question.

Sedona is in Class G Airspace.
What rules do you guys follow in Class G airspace?

According to this article flying under 400 ft in Class G is legal and authorization is only needed for airports with a tower.
http://redrocknews.com/news/8888 ... signs-unenforceable

But when you look at this map here http://visit-sedona.s3.amazonaws.com/CMS/4796/drone-map.pdf they list Class G airspace as a NFZ.

Any ideas on who is right here?

For hobby flight in Class G, you are simply required to notify airports within 5 miles and follow the other hobby flight rules. You do not need any approval. Taking off or landing from certain locations (within the wilderness area boundary) is a different story. There is also a standing "request" to avoid flight over designated wilderness areas at less than 2000 feet AGL, but it is not a law.

Class G is uncontrolled airspace. Class E surrounds Sedona, but starts at 700 feet AGL. That sign in the first link is just plain wrong; it specifically states CFR Part 107 in the text as justification for banning flight, which makes it even more wrong. I've just done a quick skim through the redrocknews article and everything in there seems to be correct according to the information I have studied. Someone is either just completely misinformed, or deliberately misleading guests. Regulations for flight are clearly spelled out on the FAA web page.

capture_001_06012019_210208.jpg

For hobby flight in Class G, you are simply required to notify airports within 5 miles and follow the other hobby flight rules. You do not need any approval. Taking off or landing from certain locations (within the wilderness area boundary) is a different story. There is also a standing "request" to avoid flight over designated wilderness areas at less than 2000 feet AGL, but it is not a law.

Class G is uncontrolled airspace. Class E surrounds Sedona, but starts at 700 feet AGL. That sign in the first link is just plain wrong; it specifically states CFR Part 107 in the text as justification for banning flight, which makes it even more wrong. I've just done a quick skim through the redrocknews article and everything in there seems to be correct according to the information I have studied. Someone is either just completely misinformed, or deliberately misleading guests. Regulations for flight are clearly spelled out on the FAA web page.

View attachment 58041
Thanks for the great info and taking the time. I think I'll stay away from the airport, as there are plenty of great hikes a few miles north, but still plan to fly my drone and film there. I'll report back here if anyone gets butt-hurt over it.

Thanks for the great info and taking the time. I think I'll stay away from the airport, as there are plenty of great hikes a few miles north, but still plan to fly my drone and film there. I'll report back here if anyone gets butt-hurt over it.

The article was right as for who has administrative jurisdiction of airspace, but Forest Service can restrict land use through administrative action, such as by restricting takeoffs and landings within specified forest boundaries. Their “no drone zones” would be legal when accompanied with a TFR.

Last edited:
The article was right as for who has administrative jurisdiction of airspace, but Forest Service can restrict land use through administrative action, such as by restricting takeoffs and landings within specified forest boundaries. Their “no drone zones” would be legal when accompanied with a TFR.
Thanks

Here are links for the US Forest Service that clearly state that drones can be flown in national forests.

Unmanned Aircraft Systems | US Forest Service
Hobby or Recreational Use of UAS on National Forest System Lands
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has regulatory authority over all airspace, including recreational use of airspace by model aircraft. The U.S. Forest Service does not have the authority to establish any additional regulations regarding where UAS can or can’t be flown. Individuals and organizations that fly UAS on National Forest System lands must follow FAA guidance.

Tips for Responsible Hobby or Recreational Use of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) or "Drones" on National Forest Systems Lands | US Forest Service
Tips for Responsible Hobby or Recreational Use of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) or "Drones" on National Forest Systems Lands
Individuals and organizations may fly UAS for hobby or recreational purposes in compliance with FAA rules....followed by a list of do's and don'ts, including a few that operators might not be familiar with, and which may lead to some of the confusion:
- Do not fly over congressionally designated Wilderness Areas or Primitive Areas as many people seek these places for the opportunities for solitude and quiet that they provide. (these areas are surrounded by national forest land)

- UAS are considered to be both “motorized equipment” and “mechanical transport” as such they cannot take off from, land in, or be operated from congressionally designated Wilderness Areas.

- The Forest Service regularly flies aircraft at low altitudes to perform natural resource management. It is the UAS Operator’s responsibility to be aware of these flights and take the steps necessary to avoid them. Contact the local Ranger District Office or the FAA for scheduled flights in the area.

like a low level flight by a maned aircraft does not bother critters? lots more noise than a dozen drones.
it looks to me like these tfr are just a abusave way to do things. not had any pronlems myself.
but they should have a start date AND a END date.
NO extensions.
should be for special use only. ( like a county fair, bird nesting, etc). not a catch all.

Won't comment directly to your question but since I live near Sedona I can tell you that there are signs posted by the city prohibiting drone flying throughout the Sedona area. I think everyone would have a comment about that but I just thought I would alert you to it. I should add that my father lived in Sedona and I can tell you from personal experience that the city council is populated almost exclusively by "VERY progressive" people seeking significance in their lives (I don't generally make such general condemnations but anyone who has spent any time in Sedona will understand...I think). Thus, I think you could expect the Sedona Police to enforce the prohibition of the city council.

Last edited:
look into this thread.
Neither State Or Local Governments Can Regulate Drones

not sure if i can link this but a thread on this web site. with a link to a faa paper.

Won't comment directly to your question but since I live near Sedona I can tell you that there are signs posted by the city prohibiting drone flying throughout the Sedona area. I think everyone would have a comment about that but I just thought I would alert you to it. I should add that my father lived in Sedona and I can tell you from personal experience that the city council is populated almost exclusively by "VERY progressive" people seeking significance in their lives (I don't generally make such general condemnations but anyone who has spent any time in Sedona will understand...I think). Thus, I think you could expect the Sedona Police to enforce the prohibition of the city council.
Didn't fly in Sedona. 2nd day drove to city limits and flew 1/2 a battery. Got some nice shots. I'll try to post tomorrow. Thanks for your info. Here's my day 1 vid. Just some Osmo Pocket shots from Sedona.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661