DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is skining your drone worth it?

Tomcat16

Reactions
I've been thinking about putting a brightly colored skin on my Mavic Air 2, this light gray is hard to see for me.
Could anyone that has skinned their drone let me know it is with it. Up close they look great, but what about in the air?
Thanks!

Reactions: Drumsagard
@Tomcat16 ta bright coloured skin will increase your ability to see the drone against a dark background say flying beneath the skyline in a valley,
in the sky not so much ,it also helps with locating your drone in the event of a crash or having to land because of low battery
but fo me the best attribute of a skin is it protects the drones finish and is easy to keep clean when bug splatter gets on the surface

Reactions: Gary_Mac
@Tomcat16 a bright coloured skin will increase your ability to see the drone against a dark background say flying beneath the skyline in a valley,
in the sky not so much ,it also helps with locating your drone in the event of a crash or having to land because of low battery
but fo me the best attribute of a skin is it protects the drones finish and is easy to keep clean when bug splatter gets on the surface
Those are good comments! Hadn't really thought about bug and bird splatters and cleaning that off. I have to say I like your Avatar!
Thanks for your reply.

i got mine covered in a decal girl hi vis yellow it helps when at low level thats for sure ,good quality well worth doing just allow at least an hour or 2 to do a proper job.

I got mine from DecalGirl also, all good quality, does take time to apply, but fun project when too much smoke to fly...
Same here good quality but to go further on viz MAS props and 4x strobes red and green at front 2 white on rear

Attachments

• 3F0CC3D0-5A90-4733-8F5E-577495C85B83.jpeg
    3F0CC3D0-5A90-4733-8F5E-577495C85B83.jpeg
    553.1 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: MaverickMavicMark
For visibility, Safety orange is always the best. All rescue equipment are that color. The color in sRGB-255 coordinates is (232, 118, 0)
yep

Mine is "skinned" with the rolled orange vinyl from the craft store. Not so much for seeing it in the air, but to make it WAAAY more visible in a tree. damhik*

*damhik= Dont Ask Me How I Know :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: MaverickMavicMark
You sure about that? Some scientists disagree.

"The eye is most sensitive to green light (555 nm) because green stimulates two of the three kinds of cones, L and M, almost equally."
The eye is the most sensitive to green, but that's not why we use Safety Orange. It is a contrasting color to azure blue typically associated with the sky. It stands out against most backgrounds.

I've been thinking about putting a brightly colored skin on my Mavic Air 2, this light gray is hard to see for me.
Could anyone that has skinned their drone let me know it is with it. Up close they look great, but what about in the air?
Thanks!
I used some orange duct tape on the arms and it worked pretty well and also cheap. I also put some stick on Moon Eyes on each battery to ward off birds

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer