DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the area around Bodega Bay a no fly zone?

usaken

Reactions
Hi is the area around Bodega a no fly? Looked at AirMap and it doesent seem to be restricted Airspace. Its outside of the NP boundry, but are there any state restrictions? Thanks

Bodega Bay is good-to-go. Get the right ND filter going with a downward view into the clear, turquoise water at the Bodega Bay Trailhead for some wallpaper-quality shots. The hearts on the map are where we flew four batteries in one morning.

59458B9B-B0E0-4CA9-8817-87136F7761DB.jpeg
The Coasties are always on-station, but they didn’t seem to mind us getting footage of a departing fishing or sailing vessel. We just kept to a respectable altitude and distance. The Westside Campgrounds have free parking, waterside grass field for flight ops, and an occasional water skier or kneeboarder to test Active Track, if you have it.
6F708C4D-4305-4295-AC6A-DBA544CF81AE.jpeg

Last edited:
@usaken - I’ve gotta ask, where in Marin may we fly?

I think of Loch Lomond or even Tiburon, but that sometimes seems ‘renegade’ knowing that folks are home, including live-aboard folks at the marinas. I’d also like to get some redwood footage from up high, but can’t really think of a suitable spot in Marin.

Thanks for the tips about Bodega area. as soon as this SIP ends I will be heading there. I was also reading that state parks and beaches can be OK, but you have to inquire at the district office first. Have not tried yet

I was also reading that state parks and beaches can be OK, but you have to inquire at the district office first. Have not tried yet
You’re right, CA state parks are on a case-by-case basis for drones, per this site: Unmanned Aircraft System (Drones) in State Parks. Beaches however have been tough, with Bodega Bay and northward being okay. Marin’s coastland south to Pacifica has the NFZ of the Golden Gate National Recreational Area. Pescadero south has the National Marine Sanctuary protection over water.

All this may seem restricting but a buddy and a I have found dozens of spots to fly in the Bay Area. Mornings have been the best time.

You’re right, CA state parks are on a case-by-case basis for drones, per this site: Unmanned Aircraft System (Drones) in State Parks. Beaches however have been tough, with Bodega Bay and northward being okay. Marin’s coastland south to Pacifica has the NFZ of the Golden Gate National Recreational Area. Pescadero south has the National Marine Sanctuary protection over water.

All this may seem restricting but a buddy and a I have found dozens of spots to fly in the Bay Area. Mornings have been the best time.
Hi Pelagic, new to the boards and living in Oakland. As you mentioned, I'm finding a lot of restrictions in the Bay Area. I know of the 4-5 typical places that are listed in SF, OAK, and Treasure Island. And I'm heading to Bodega for camping in late Feb so looking forward to taking it there. Any other places you wouldn't mind sharing either North/South/East of the Bay Area where there aren't so many restrictions? I have the Be4 app. I've just been going to each county's and regional parks websites to figure it out but 98% of them don't allow drones which is a shame. I do a lot of landscape photography and want to get it out more. Thank.

Reactions: NavyMan84
Hi Pelagic, new to the boards and living in Oakland. As you mentioned, I'm finding a lot of restrictions in the Bay Area. I know of the 4-5 typical places that are listed in SF, OAK, and Treasure Island. And I'm heading to Bodega for camping in late Feb so looking forward to taking it there. Any other places you wouldn't mind sharing either North/South/East of the Bay Area where there aren't so many restrictions? I have the Be4 app. I've just been going to each county's and regional parks websites to figure it out but 98% of them don't allow drones which is a shame. I do a lot of landscape photography and want to get it out more. Thank.
Hello. I read your post. where you able to find any place in the bay area to fly. I try Teasure Island and thats been nice. but looking for another place to fly. Thanks

Yeah, I’ve had no problems in Bodega. It’s north of the Golden Gate Park restriction. In fact I just got back from there today. It gets foggy so hot and miss. But actually loved the footage I got in the fog. It can also get windy so if you have mini 3 pro it can get pushed around.

Yeah, I’ve had no problems in Bodega. It’s north of the Golden Gate Park restriction. In fact I just got back from there today. It gets foggy so hot and miss. But actually loved the footage I got in the fog. It can also get windy so if you have mini 3 pro it can get pushed around.
Thanks. Yes i have a mini 3 pro. Do you have a link to your video? What are you using to edit your videos? Jeff

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest