DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the gimball issue of the Mini 2 solved yet?

Ronny St.

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hello,
I am thinking of selling my Mavic Mini 1 (for which I have a buyer) and getting me a Mini 2. It is clear that the MM2 has many advantages compared to version 1. As an amateur photographer and filmer, it has better possibilities (eg RAW) and the issues of sputtering wifi connections seems to resolved thanks to Occusync 2.0.
However, I read that the gimball often tilts without reason during filming.
or in this forum: Mini 2 tilted horizon and shifting when hovering
This is horror if you want to use it for filming... So I wonder if this has been already solved by firmware in the meanwhile? It has been told to me that the range of the MM1 with the parayagi extenders exceeds the Mini 2 with occusync.
So, before I sell my Mini 1 I would be reassured that I will not regret it by buying a Mini 2 only to find out it will give me more disadvantages compared to advantages.
Thanks for replying!
Greetings,
Ronny

The short answer is no its not: There are still many people that have that issue when flying and other issues as well as erratic behavior or chattering in the cold. I suspect they will release another firmware update . Were happy that they just got the Sensor Problem fixed so now were able to land on the water without a spin out of control back into it.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain and land On Water.

Reactions: raymairjr
The short answer is no its not: There are still many people that have that issue when flying and other issues as well as erratic behavior or chattering in the cold. I suspect they will release another firmware update . Were happy that they just got the Sensor Problem fixed so now were able to land on the water without a spin out of control back into it.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain and land On Water.
Landing on water is not immediately what I am intended to do;)
But as I have been doing some more research, it looks to me that the issue appears only in sports mode. Is that correct?

Personally I don’t find it an issue, if you fly, film or photograph in reasonable conditions I don’t get the gimbal tilt. If you fly around like a maniac in sports mode or high winds then yes you do... but would you really be looking for buttery smooth footage in those conditions. People complain about the wind fighting capabilities of the Mavic Mini, DJI improved this but the rotation of the gimbal is unchanged, if you understand the limitations you can fly / work around the Mini 2 capabilities.

Personally I don’t find it an issue, if you fly, film or photograph in reasonable conditions I don’t get the gimbal tilt. If you fly around like a maniac in sports mode or high winds then yes you do... but would you really be looking for buttery smooth footage in those conditions. People complain about the wind fighting capabilities of the Mavic Mini, DJI improved this but the rotation of the gimbal is unchanged, if you understand the limitations you can fly / work around the Mini 2 capabilities.
So you would recommend me to go for the Mini 2? As said before, I do not want to go backwards in usability ;)
And I forgot to ask: does the issue not displaying the firmware version and battery temperature in Airdata UAV has been solved also? That information is missing using my MM1and as I see, DJI did not make a firmware update to correct it.

I keep seeing @Phantomrain.org saying ‘lots of people’ but I think I’ve seen maybe three threads on the problem on this forum. There are many, many more Mini2 owners that don’t have this issue.

Reactions: raymairjr
Hi Ronny We've had no issues whatsoever to date. It's a great drone that we use for professional work, so you'll love it. Occusync means you get a rock-solid connection Our comparison is to the P4P+ which is our main drone. You won't be disappointed.

So you would recommend me to go for the Mini 2? As said before, I do not want to go backwards in usability ;)
And I forgot to ask: does the issue not displaying the firmware version and battery temperature in Airdata UAV has been solved also? That information is missing using my MM1and as I see, DJI did not make a firmware update to correct it.
Yes I’d recommend, it’s far superior to the original with significantly better materials, it just feels stronger. Never had any real issues with range/ WiFi on the Mini 1 as I fly VLOS, the test I did do got 1300m on WiFI, my subsequent test on the Mini 2 got me 4100m @ 60m height and it was still going until RTH kicked in. If you understand the performance limits of the Mini 2 you’ll not have any issues, if you fly beyond the limits but understand the AC and how to fly appropriately you’ll not have any issues.

Thanks for all the reactions! I convinced me to sell my Mini 1 and go for version 2 :)
Mini 2 does not yet support 3rd party tools -because the SDK was not released yet. So you still have advantages with Mini 1, but some other advantages with Mini 2. It depends on what you need. Because Mini 1 supports Litchi it is also supporting Follow Me and other features.

Yes, upgrade to the mm2, like others I’ve not had the issue but though I fly about I don’t thrash it in sports mode either, go for it!

Mini 2 does not yet support 3rd party tools -because the SDK was not released yet. So you still have advantages with Mini 1, but some other advantages with Mini 2. It depends on what you need. Because Mini 1 supports Litchi it is also supporting Follow Me and other features.
As yet, I did not use 3rd party tools, so I can use the fly app and wait until SDK releases it and then see what I will use ;)
I only hope the newest version of Fly App and the battery temp issue have been resolved meanwhile and that I can use my Samsung S8 for it. I bought that phone for the reason that my Motorola turned out not to be good enough for the fly app.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR