DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the Mavic 3 already discontinued??

I just cancelled my Mavic 3 Pro / RC Pro / Flymore order since by the time I vet the new bird, the price difference over what I paid for my Cine could be fetching would likely equal the cost of the basic Mavic 3 Pro kit.

So I ordered the cheapest available kit of the new Mavic 3 Pro and will keep my otherwise awesome Cine.

Whatever happened to the idea of interchangeable cameras?
With the bodies being similar that would be nice. The 3 Pro is not exactly the same, the front is slightly different to deal with the camera size but it would be nice. I guess if one really needed it, you would move up a level to the Inspire.

DJI is obviously following Apple's upgrade path. The current trajectory looks like a midterm upgrade every 1.5 year, and major upgrade every 3 years.

So in the next 18 months, we will have this:

View attachment 163196

In another 3 years, we will have that:

View attachment 163197
The question that I have is "how much are we going to charge to rent out the Grand Canyon as a landfill"?
Not to start a controversial topic but ****, even auto makers are forced, by law, to provide repair parts.

Or ....another good question is "who will be the first to start a business recycling any parts from all of these disposable electronics"?

I am just saying that it would good for all involved if we could find some balance here.

Mini rant over. :)

On the DJI website the Mavic 3 Pro and Mavic 3 Classic are listed for sale but the original Mavic 3 is nowhere to be found. Is it already gone??
Oh now here we go, is only one year old drone, is still going to be good for several years since it has the same frame as the Cine and classic, Enterprise and thermal. . The Air 2S might go away before the Mavic 3. Come on man!

On the DJI website the Mavic 3 Pro and Mavic 3 Classic are listed for sale but the original Mavic 3 is nowhere to be found. Is it already gone??
Oh know! here we go, is only one year old drone, is still going to be good for several years since it has the same frame as the Cine and classic, Enterprise, multi spectral and thermal. . The Air 2S might go away before the Mavic 3. Come on man!

Perhaps the Mavic 3 was taken down so there would be no confusion with buying the Mavic 3 Pro? There are already a bunch of different Mavic 3 drones it sense to only show a few different brands.

Perhaps the Mavic 3 was taken down so there would be no confusion with buying the Mavic 3 Pro? There are already a bunch of different Mavic 3 drones it sense to only show a few different brands.

I wonder if the Mavic 3 was a stopgap release to get something out there before the vision they had was fully realized. The market was itching for the Mavic 3 when it came out, but it damaged the DJI brand for a bit with all of the issues. On the other hand, imagine if they waited until now to put anything Mavic 3 related out? When it came out, it did seem like an early release product with all of the problems it had.

I wonder if the Mavic 3 was a stopgap release to get something out there before the vision they had was fully realized. The market was itching for the Mavic 3 when it came out, but it damaged the DJI brand for a bit with all of the issues. On the other hand, imagine if they waited until now to put anything Mavic 3 related out? When it came out, it did seem like an early release product with all of the problems it had.
And the stopgap made them a pile of money on a product that was half-baked from the git go.

Reactions: maggior
I just talked to DJI chat. The Mavic 3 is no longer offered in the DJI store:

We appreciate your interest and support. The Mavic 3 aircraft has been taken off the shelf in DJI Store. We recommend you to purchase the new upgraded Mavic 3 Pro, which includes a 1/1.3 inch, 70mm-equivalent mid-telephoto lens capable of achieving smooth zoom from 1-28x. In comparison to its predecessor, it has greatly improved image capabilities as well.
getFile

Justwin

However as an alternative you can always connect to your local retailer with the link below and check on the availability
Find a DJI store that best suits you - Where to Buy - DJI

Reactions: Mavikhan
I just talked to DJI chat. The Mavic 3 is no longer offered in the DJI store:

We appreciate your interest and support. The Mavic 3 aircraft has been taken off the shelf in DJI Store. We recommend you to purchase the new upgraded Mavic 3 Pro, which includes a 1/1.3 inch, 70mm-equivalent mid-telephoto lens capable of achieving smooth zoom from 1-28x. In comparison to its predecessor, it has greatly improved image capabilities as well.
getFile

Justwin

However as an alternative you can always connect to your local retailer with the link below and check on the availability
Find a DJI store that best suits you - Where to Buy -
Thank you @Torque

Reactions: Torque
And the stopgap made them a pile of money on a product that was half-baked from the git go.
There was nothing wrong with the Mavic 3 when it was released.
It was a fine product and all the reviewers gave it glowing reviews.
Sometime after release, DJI messed up with a firmware update that caused the big problem and it took a surprisingly long time to fix that.
It's still a fine product and will continue to be a very good drone for several years.

Reactions: GadgetGuy and KS-6
DJI is obviously following Apple's upgrade path. The current trajectory looks like a midterm upgrade every 1.5 year, and major upgrade every 3 years.

So in the next 18 months, we will have this:

View attachment 163196

In another 3 years, we will have that:

View attachment 163197
Lol 😂. Soon the camera will look like a bug eye with like 100 lenses all over it. As

Lol 😂. Soon the camera will look like a bug eye with like 100 lenses all over it. As

Mavic 7 Ultra, invading planet earth.
Screenshot_20230429_074601_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Whatever happened to the idea of interchangeable cameras?
The interface adds weight, and when the next gen camera comes along, the interface isn't good enough or has the wrong pins or is too bulky, etc etc. so all the cameras built using the old interface are obsolete. Look at the Inspire. The cameras were too big to put on a Mavic. Weight is everything in an aircraft, especially a drone, anything to shave grams of the weight helps flight duration. We are a fickle market.. we clamor for better cameras, and more flight time, usually mutually exclusive, but technology continues it's inexorable march. We are on the Apple band wagon as a result, everything has planned obsolescence built in, after 3-4 years it's tossed in the landfill and we buy new stuff.

There was nothing wrong with the Mavic 3 when it was released.
It was a fine product and all the reviewers gave it glowing reviews.
Sometime after release, DJI messed up with a firmware update that caused the big problem and it took a surprisingly long time to fix that.
It's still a fine product and will continue to be a very good drone for several years.
The Mavic 3 when released was, in fact, incomplete. The full set of advertised features were known to not be available at release, but were promised by February, and most were actually delivered by mid January. In particular, no Panos were possible until January, two months after release. DNG and manual control over the 7x camera came much later, as did use of the the 7x camera in Normal mode. GPS satellite acquisition was also a major problem, significantly delaying HP acquisition for most until April. With the recent addition of Waypoints and Cruise Control, the Mavic 3 is now a mature product, lacking only the new third camera.

Mavic 3 Pro adds the 3x 70mm equivalent camera to the mix for the same $2,200 price as the original Mavic 3 price at release, and also upgrades the inferior RC-N1 controller to a DJI RC, and improves the 7x fixed aperture to f/3.4 from the original f/4.4.

Both the Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Pro offer an Explore mode with a hybrid zoom from 1x-28x, which is completely missing from the stripped down Mavic 3 Classic.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos