DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the Mavic Air Gimbal as fagile as the Mavic Pro??

kiwi flyer

Reactions
I'm asking this because I had a rough landing on my Mavic Pro today (noob mistake) and then I got the errors regarding gimbal motor overloaded etc. Some frantic mins later, tried doing a gimbal calibration, checked the rubber bands etc Gimbal seemed to be moving on power up, but getting stuck on 5% of calibration.. I then picked up the aircraft in tilited it sideways,. and low and behold the **** gimbal started to work again. I can only imagine something in the gimbal was out of alignment? (gears? cogs? teeth?)

Anyway, when search online I see the **** gimbal is a HUGE problem on the Mavic Pro - cause often is the ribbon cable..

I know its early days yet for the Mavic Air, but can anyone describe how well built the gimbal on the MA is? I really like my MP, but if the gimbal is really that fragile, and the MA one not so much, enough reason for me to think about changing them.

thanks in advance

From what I can tell after spending the day with mine the gimbal is built much better than the MP. It’s also much better protected with the way it sits in the drone itself. It’s still small and certainly could be damaged with the right kind of impact but they certainly learned from the MP flaws and made improvements to the gimbal on the MA.

From what I can tell after spending the day with mine the gimbal is built much better than the MP. It’s also much better protected with the way it sits in the drone itself. It’s still small and certainly could be damaged with the right kind of impact but they certainly learned from the MP flaws and made improvements to the gimbal on the MA.

I would agree with this however it's just as annoying to get the gimbals cover on! When I put it back on the camera seems to point up a little so it doesn't go into the cover properly unless I tilt is slightly which I'm sure you can imagine with it being well protected etc is a tad fiddly.

My error occurred not from the Gimbal being hit directly, but I believe from the bouncing around from when it landed hard. We all know how the gimbal seems to jiggle a lot. Is that std on gimbal based cameras? I ask as the drones I see in stores are always dummy ones

I would agree with this however it's just as annoying to get the gimbals cover on! When I put it back on the camera seems to point up a little so it doesn't go into the cover properly unless I tilt is slightly which I'm sure you can imagine with it being well protected etc is a tad fiddly.

However, it's probably one of the best locks that DJI has made (the hurdle was set very low). I find as long as the camera is facing forward, the lock goes on very easily.

However, it's probably one of the best locks that DJI has made (the hurdle was set very low). I find as long as the camera is facing forward, the lock goes on very easily.

Yeah totally. Camera forward then it's my bar the best solution across all models that they've made.

Mavic Air is my first drone but my impression of the gimbal is that it's as fragile as you'd expect a gimbal to be and the design of the drone caters to that by protecting it well. It doesn't come across as overly fragile and I can't see that with normal use it would get damaged. You'd have to hit something very specifically shaped for the gimbal to take the impact and the protector is very easy to get on and off.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2