DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the Parrot ANAFI Drone better than the DJI Mavic Air? What do you think?

Here is a YT video with links to DNG.

To answer the above question. Not sure about the rest -- but the camera and especially the optics of the Anafi is way better than my MPP.

Good job it isn't competing against the MPP then.

I only have an MPP, so - i can only compare against the MPP. And from what i see in the Anafi DNG i am really impressed.
Sharpness is amazing. Dynamic range is -- 'moderate' -- for sure you will need to shoot HDR if you want to use the Anafai
as a photographic tool. And you will have to shoot raw, DNG, the Anafi jpg is underwhelming.

It's got 20 megapixies and a Sony sensor hasn't it? Then again, if you aren't zooming into photos to the nth degree or watching video on a 50-60" 4k TV can you really see much difference?

When is DJI going to do something in the consumer domain to leverage it's majority stake in Hasselblad, or is that seen as devaluing the brand (and I don't mean DJI's!)?

Calm down... All eyes pointing to the July 18th DJI event which will unveil their next amazing product.

The only thing that the anafi have that not other drone so far have is the ability for the camera to record up and down. That's pretty much the killer feature of this drone. Other than that, DJI for life!!!

What will happen when someone points the camera up into direct sunlight?

Reactions: macoman
It's got 20 megapixies and a Sony sensor hasn't it? Then again, if you aren't zooming into photos to the nth degree or watching video on a 50-60" 4k TV can you really see much difference?

When is DJI going to do something in the consumer domain to leverage it's majority stake in Hasselblad, or is that seen as devaluing the brand (and I don't mean DJI's!)?

Both sensors are Sony. Sharrpness however in this case is more related to the lens.
And the Anafi lens is way better. (Corners but even center). The Anafi DNG is *much* sharper (per pixel) @ 21 mpix than the MPP @ 12mpix.

Example:
MEGA

All eyes pointing to the July 18th DJI event which will unveil their next amazing product.

Sorry but that is just bla. Are you paid by DJI or what ?

Last edited:
You're quite right....as a 50-year stills photographer I know only too well that pixies mean squat - it's the glass in front. I still have a 3mp Nikon around somewhere that still knocks spots of most 12mp smartphone cameras.

I know you can say subjectively that one looks better than the other, but what's your information that speaks to the optical bit? Given that China is no slouch when it comes to lens technology I'm curious as to what a French company has come up with to improve on it, even if they are manufacturing in China?

Reactions: deufrai
I believe you can turn off the no fly zone thing from the DJI app.
No you can't, lost that option many, many updates ago.
You can shut off the warnings in the latest releases. Not sure it allows you to fly in NFZ, (never tried) but you dont have to see all the warnings when you are close to heliports, stadiums, airports etc.etc....IMG_0714.JPG IMG_0715.JPG

You're quite right....as a 50-year stills photographer I know only too well that pixies mean squat - it's the glass in front. I still have a 3mp Nikon around somewhere that still knocks spots of most 12mp smartphone cameras.

I know you can say subjectively that one looks better than the other, but what's your information that speaks to the optical bit? Given that China is no slouch when it comes to lens technology I'm curious as to what a French company has come up with to improve on it, even if they are manufacturing in China?

Check the link i provided. Now have a look at your favourite DJI/whatever/something images and compare.
I believe, the only way to approach this is to evaluate the raw images and to compare.
(or to have someone else comparing the raw)

The digital zoom - why is this marketing BS ?
The sensor is way bigger than 4k video requires - in fact 2,4 bigger. So they can zoom in / crop until they reach the 4K. Sounds reasonable to me.

Check the link i provided. Now have a look at your favourite DJI/whatever/something images and compare.
I believe, the only way to approach this is to evaluate the raw images and to compare.
(or to have someone else comparing the raw)

The digital zoom - why is this marketing BS ?
The sensor is way bigger than 4k video requires - in fact 2,4 bigger. So they can zoom in / crop until they reach the 4K. Sounds reasonable to me.

Digital zoom can be achieved post filming so it’s really nothing great.

Digital zoom can be achieved post filming so it’s really nothing great.

Sorry but this is nonsense.
Parrot is cropping into the sensor. until they reach the 4K limit. (max Factor 2.4). They never loose information.
Digital zooming in post looses information. Interpolation between pixels does not recover information.

Reactions: Derlisz
The digital yaw stabilization on the camera is a deal breaker for me. While he was discussing it in the video, the footage looked horrible (around the edges).

Reactions: Derlisz
The digital yaw stabilization on the camera is a deal breaker for me. While he was discussing it in the video, the footage looked horrible (around the edges).

Well - i'll judge this when i test it. But --- as matter of fact - what i can talk about is the yaw on my MPP.
Does it look good ? Yaw ? Naw..
It looks completely horrible.
The only way (for me at least) to make a yaw on the MPP look good is to set a waypoint 5 miles in front of the drone and to let litchi yaw around it.
such that the yaw in reality actually comes from a roll / circle around this waypoint 5 miles in front.

now you might have these super-sensitive finger points which allow you to yaw smoothly -- and create a credibly smooth video in doing this -- but i think in this case you are one of a kind.
For us mortals yaw is more like
- either hide in some other move (yaw and gimbal up) or
- replace with 'roll' or
- 'don't yaw'.

Last edited:
... now you might have these super-sensitive finger points which allow you to yaw smoothly -- and create a credibly smooth video in doing this -- but i think in this case you are one of a kind.

It took me a while to get the gentle moves down, but it is humanly possible to attain smooth yaw (I'm on a MP). But I like your thinking better - Marvel should put me in the next Avengers movie: "Yaw Man", whose only super power is turning smoothly :). In truth, when getting a horizontal smooth yaw shot, I occasionally have to take a few runs at it. I know I can use tripod mode, but I prefer "working" on such moves until my brain is removed from the equation.

It took me a while to get the gentle moves down, but it is humanly possible to attain smooth yaw (I'm on a MP). But I like your thinking better - Marvel should put me in the next Avengers movie: "Yaw Man", whose only super power is turning smoothly :). In truth, when getting a horizontal smooth yaw shot, I occasionally have to take a few runs at it. I know I can use tripod mode, but I prefer "working" on such moves until my brain is removed from the equation.

Hah - "Yaw man" -- Nice one :)
Here is something you might want to try (iyou haven't done)
Combine the yaw with the roll - so you e.g. yaw left and roll right (and vice versa), which in fact turns your 'yaw' on the spot into a circle.

Sorry but this is nonsense.
Parrot is cropping into the sensor. until they reach the 4K limit. (max Factor 2.4). They never loose information.
Digital zooming in post looses information. Interpolation between pixels does not recover information.

But spotting the difference is another issue....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000