DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is there a definitive source of no-fly zones?

Regs are sometimes clear as mud, but love the conversation. Provides different insight. In 1961 Kennedy deemed the entire outer part of the Cape Cod beaches the "Cape Cod National Seashore". National Seashores are NOT national parks, but are under the umbrella of the NPS. Go figure. I have always stayed away from that one. When in doubt skip it. Not worth the hassle.

There are many times a way around regs if you are creative.

I'll throw my two cents in. I haven't read all the responses so this may be a little redundant. Many state parks create their own rule regarding drones, and some are ridiculous. I wanted to get some photos of a lighthouse in Northern California. The state park said no way does not allow to fly a drone. I went outside the park, flew the drone into the lighthouse and got my pictures. The state park has no authority over airspace; they do have the authority over their own turf. Once airborne, you fall under FAA jurisdiction, not any local authority. Fortunately, I have a wife who was an attorney, so I sometimes may push the envelope a little bit, but I always attempt to remain legal. The problem is local authorities generally have little or no knowledge of federal aviation laws.
Very few places know this; in fact, I've only seen a few local entities that will tell you outright that you cannot take-off and land from their property but they have no control when you are flying over and across their property. Most will omit that last part and simply tell you not to take-off and land. However, quite a few go on to inform you that you cannot operate your drone in or over their property period: no take off, no landing, no flying over.

My question is when you see them omit the flying-over piece (on purpose or not; whether they are aware or not), do you fly over and "take your chances with them" or do you look for property that comes out and says the FAA has sole jurisdiction in the air? I ask because there is this huge county park where I live which says no drones and I know for sure if I fly over their park, they'll come looking for me. There's an RC field there and they have deputies all over the park.

Very few places know this; in fact, I've only seen a few local entities that will tell you outright that you cannot take-off and land from their property but they have no control when you are flying over and across their property. Most will omit that last part and simply tell you not to take-off and land. However, quite a few go on to inform you that you cannot operate your drone in or over their property period: no take off, no landing, no flying over.

My question is when you see them omit the flying-over piece (on purpose or not; whether they are aware or not), do you fly over and "take your chances with them" or do you look for property that comes out and says the FAA has sole jurisdiction in the air? I ask because there is this huge county park where I live which says no drones and I know for sure if I fly over their park, they'll come looking for me. There's an RC field there and they have deputies all over the park.
I have dealt with this. No city, county or state has authority over airspace; that is the law. Now the FED can restrict certain areas such as prisons, National Parks, military bases, and TCAs. If you have a safe place to launch from you can fly that drone over that park all you want, however, you cannot take off or land in it. As I stated elsewhere, I wanted to video a lighthouse and they didn't allow drones. I went outside the park, launched and flew into the park, filmed the lighthouse. Did they get upset, they sure did, and when the local cops showed up, I had the proof in hand that they have no jurisdiction over the air space. Also, once you confront the authorities with the law, they have no choice but to back down. Make sure you have the FAA Regs with you to prove your point.

49 U.S. Code § 40103 - Sovereignty and use of airspace.​

Everything is there to prove your point.

Also having a 107 license to show the authorities would help prove your point.

I have dealt with this. No city, county or state has authority over airspace; that is the law. Now the FED can restrict certain areas such as prisons, National Parks, military bases, and TCAs. If you have a safe place to launch from you can fly that drone over that park all you want, however, you cannot take off or land in it. As I stated elsewhere, I wanted to video a lighthouse and they didn't allow drones. I went outside the park, launched and flew into the park, filmed the lighthouse. Did they get upset, they sure did, and when the local cops showed up, I had the proof in hand that they have no jurisdiction over the air space. Also, once you confront the authorities with the law, they have no choice but to back down. Make sure you have the FAA Regs with you to prove your point.
Thanks for the reply. 🫤

Not sure if this should go here, or maybe it's own thread. I just noticed on B4UFly that it is now showing places like the Appalachian Trail as yellow, and check with NPS. It used to always be red and say restricted. Wondering if I missed something since I haven't been flying the drone for a few months.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne