DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is there a maximum temperature for flying a Mini 2

tommytavor

Reactions
Does anyone know if there is a maximum operating temperature for operating a Mini 2. Arizona does get hot and I don't want to crash because of the heat in Phoenix.
Thanks,
Tommy

Reactions: Prop Wash
Does anyone know if there is a maximum operating temperature for operating a Mini 2. Arizona does get hot and I don't want to crash because of the heat in Phoenix.
Thanks,
Tommy

I've flown DJI products in the Nevada desert (a few miles from Area 51) and the daytime temps were about 106.

We had to cool off the batteries by placing them in our vehicles which were running and the A/C was on full blast.

They were recharging via a generator with cables snaked into the vehicle. They would not charge until they had cooled down enough.

I had more of a problem with iPhones and iPads "greying out" due to the heat while flying. Once we realized that, we bought additional iOS devices along with "Blue Ice" packs and computer bags.

We had an "Igloo" cooler full of the Blue Ice packs.

I'd rotate out the iPads from the cool bag when they started to grey out. I needed about 3 iPads to rotate and ensure continued operations.

My guess is that it might be 5 degrees higher. I use to heat-test electronics & say, if the electronics barfed consistently at 110F we would de-rate the product 5 degrees to be safe. I live in Mesa, AZ & intend & to test this hypothesis by making short (5-10 minute) flights during the upcoming monsoon season to see if the CPU Overheating warning comes on.

My guess is that it might be 5 degrees higher. I use to heat-test electronics & say, if the electronics barfed consistently at 110F we would de-rate the product 5 degrees to be safe. I live in Mesa, AZ & intend & to test this hypothesis by making short (5-10 minute) flights during the upcoming monsoon season to see if the CPU Overheating warning comes on.
Also, I flew my Mini 2 last weekend at 102F for about 15 minutes & got no warnings or erratic behavior.

I've flown DJI products in the Nevada desert (a few miles from Area 51) and the daytime temps were about 106.

We had to cool off the batteries by placing them in our vehicles which were running and the A/C was on full blast.

They were recharging via a generator with cables snaked into the vehicle. They would not charge until they had cooled down enough.

I had more of a problem with iPhones and iPads "greying out" due to the heat while flying. Once we realized that, we bought additional iOS devices along with "Blue Ice" packs and computer bags.

We had an "Igloo" cooler full of the Blue Ice packs.

I'd rotate out the iPads from the cool bag when they started to grey out. I needed about 3 iPads to rotate and ensure continued operations.
Is this overheating/greying out issue strictly an iOS issue? I've never seen this on my Samsung Galaxy.

But then, my personal max operating temp is no more than 90º F, max, so I probably wouldn't see the problem regardless!

;-)

Most of the time temperatures in Chiang Mai are around 32 to 38°C and it feels hotter. No problems yet with flying my Mini.

Most of the time temperatures in Chiang Mai are around 32 to 38°C and it feels hotter. No problems yet with flying my Mini.
Definitely not a place for me to live!

I'm more of an 18 -23º C guy myself...with relatively low humidity...

:cool:

After reading the answers again today, I decided to try flying the Mini 2. I flew it for 15 minutes in 103 F temperature. The drone was hot and so was my phone. I took it up to about 110 feet and did a RTH 3x during the flight just to check it. Everything worked great. But it took about 20 minutes to cool off in the house after.
Thanks for all the info and guidance.

Found this on Google. Officially the Mini 2 temperature operating range is from 32° to 104°F (or 0° to 40°C).
All that information is directly from DJI and the User manual supports that. Now you might think that while the Mini 2 is flying, it is being cooled by the air flowing over it, But you also have to consider it's "inner workings" the electronics, especially the processors are all mounted on heat sinks. And it is the heat sinks job to disperse the heat generated while it's processing all that telemetry... Since the heatsinks are all internal, there is no air flowing over them.

Have you ever just turned your drone on to perform a Quick Transfer of the photos and videos and left it just sitting on the table? Have you noticed that it heats up just by being powered up?

I built a small mounting base that has a small fan n it and the base blows air upwards onto the drone to keep it cool when I'm just powering it up (not flying…) and it sits a lot cooler.

I believe the 104 degree is a reasonable max temp to operate at as the drone still has to dump all that internal heat…

I'm in AZ and I've flown in 110 degrees. My phone grayed out first. Definitely stick to the shade if possible as direct sun will cause problems. I even have problems with my phone graying out just taking pictures. Its isn't pleasant, so I go inside once there is any issues and don't hang around outside before/after I fly. I have a phone mount that is right in front of my cars AC vent, so the phone is cooled before I get out. But that only extends it by a few minutes at most.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU